News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Seems - Offensive Line is Priority One, and things are going to be different

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, March 18, 2024, 09:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

I think this coming season is going to be radically different (knock on wood) and I like what I'm seeing...especially in finally addressing QB protection

Since playing our last game of the season, the Giants have:

1) hired a new OL Coach (Carmen Bricillo)  =D>

2) the very first players signed by Giants when Free Agency opened up, were the pick of the litter (G Jon Runyan 3-years, $30M) and (G/T Jermaine Eluemunor 2-years, &14M)

3) signed TE Jack Stoll and TE Chris Manhertz who both are known for their exceptional blocking skills. Manhertz has a 97.0 pass blocking rating according to PFF; and Stoll is the premier zone-blocking TE in the NFL (kind of a one-trick pony). They are not brought in to be receiving targets, but to assist the offensive line in run and pass blocking

4) brought in depth pieces for backup on the offensive line in Aaron Stinnie and LG/C/RG Austin Schlottmann

When considering the moves the Giants have made since the offseason began, it is obvious (to me anyway FWIW) that there are two areas they wanted to focus on early: Protecting the QB, and keeping their best (better) special teams players, judging by their quick signings of Carter Coughlin, Casey Kreiter, and Gunner Olszewski

And their trading for Brian Burns was a walk off game winning grand slam home run and should be a big upgrade in the defensive front
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Ric,

I am scarred by more than a decade of bad offensive line play.  So many of those years, I was convinced that they had finally fixed their O-line issues or, at the very least, got to a point where the O-line wasn't a liability.  Then, every year, my hopes are shattered.

On paper Schoen seems to have put some resources into this line that should result in an upgrade.  At the very least, they are not counting on Ezeudu to start or Neal to actually be able to be a starting NFL RT.   

Still, JMS needs to play much better.  If Neal doesn't play better at guard the interior is weak.  Plus, if Eluemunor is the starting RT, who plays the critical swing tackle?

I think this line can be solid middle of the pack, but I am far from certain.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

gregf

Nice write up Jolly! Rich mentioned there have been many times we thought we solved the o line fix in the off season and been disappointed.  Once again,  I love the upgrades on paper.  It will be interesting to see where Neal fits

T200

Bricillo is the X-factor. The success/failure of the offense this upcoming season will hinge on his coaching of the guys up front.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on March 18, 2024, 09:37:17 AMBricillo is the X-factor. The success/failure of the offense this upcoming season will hinge on his coaching of the guys up front.

I've thought that from day one. We've lacked high-end talent on the line, but even with some above average players, the coach didn't seem to be able to get them to work in sync. A changing of the coach could be the most significant move this team has made. I hope Bricillo is the real deal, and then I hope if he turns out to have the gift of turning crap into caviar, we pay him and keep him and keep other teams from poaching him

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 18, 2024, 09:45:50 AMI've thought that from day one. We've lacked high-end talent on the line, but even with some above average players, the coach didn't seem to be able to get them to work in sync. A changing of the coach could be the most significant move this team has made. I hope Bricillo is the real deal, and then I hope if he turns out to have the gift of turning crap into caviar, we pay him and keep him and keep other teams from poaching him

From what I have heard:

Bricillo has the ability to turn crap into something edible, or at least that is what he did with the Raiders.

I have also heard rumors that some players were less than happy with Bricillo (although Eluemunor raved about him).  The Raiders let him walk, which you don't do with really good O-line coaches, but the Raiders haven't exactly been a stable, smart organization, so I am not sure how much stock I would put in that point.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 18, 2024, 09:45:50 AMI've thought that from day one. We've lacked high-end talent on the line, but even with some above average players, the coach didn't seem to be able to get them to work in sync. A changing of the coach could be the most significant move this team has made. I hope Bricillo is the real deal, and then I hope if he turns out to have the gift of turning crap into caviar, we pay him and keep him and keep other teams from poaching him
My hopes for the season are squarely on his coaching and the production from the offensive line. I'm looking forward to a significant boost in pass protection and run blocking.

I would love to see Singletary outrush Saquon.  :ok:

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: T200 on March 18, 2024, 09:52:50 AMMy hopes for the season are squarely on his coaching and the production from the offensive line. I'm looking forward to a significant boost in pass protection and run blocking.

I would love to see Singletary outrush Saquon:ok:

Ha, ha...wouldn't that be a hoot!

I love post season...hope rings eternal  :goteam:  :Giants:

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 18, 2024, 09:50:34 AMFrom what I have heard:

Bricillo has the ability to turn crap into something edible, or at least that is what he did with the Raiders.

I have also heard rumors that some players were less than happy with Bricillo (although Eluemunor raved about him).  The Raiders let him walk, which you don't do with really good O-line coaches, but the Raiders haven't exactly been a stable, smart organization, so I am not sure how much stock I would put in that point.
That's going to be a key factor; having someone of Eluemenor's status who has bought in to Bricillo's system to help solidify the line and jumpstart the learning process.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 18, 2024, 09:58:28 AMThat's going to be a key factor; having someone of Eluemenor's status who has bought in to Bricillo's system to help solidify the line and jumpstart the learning process.

That coaching 101 for Bill Parcells.   When he would take on a new team he would bring in a few veterans who were "his guys"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Sem

Quote from: T200 on March 18, 2024, 09:52:50 AMMy hopes for the season are squarely on his coaching and the production from the offensive line. I'm looking forward to a significant boost in pass protection and run blocking.

I would love to see Singletary outrush Saquon.  :ok:

Over the weekend Patty Traina had a very interesting interview with Raiders beat writer Hondo Carpenter discussing this very subject. Perhaps the easiest interview she's ever done. If the things he said about Bricillo are true, fans are going to love him. For those who haven't seen this take the time and watch the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCu9uwzqUmg

bamagiantfan

With all the free agent linemen now, who were on the roster last year, the turnover at the guard spot was inevitable. It remains to be seen where Eluemenor will be used, but he seems to be the new swing tackle who can play guard in a pinch. Some of the recent signings at Guard seem to be stop gaps just in case they don't get one they want in the draft. I see now they are also considering moving Neal to Guard.

Sometimes players are signed to fill holes and sometimes they are signed to plug a hole for a little while. I still think Safety, Guard, CB, and RB are near the top of the Giants' list of draft desires in Rounds 2-7, with WR and DT getting some consideration. No, I didn't forget QB. I just don't see a QB as an option now without reaching for McCarthy or settling for Pennix or Nix in Round 2.

I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

PSUBeirut

I'm with Rich- I'm completely tuning out any noise regarding the OL.  I simply can't get myself to care about hearing about who we've added, who we've lost, who may be moving spots, who we may or may not draft, who the new coach is, how great he's supposed to be, etc.  I have zero expectations of our OL ever being good for the rest of my lifetime at this point (and I'm not all that old... :doh: ).  I'll watch with my eyes once the season starts and we'll go from there. 

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Sem on March 18, 2024, 10:18:34 AMOver the weekend Patty Traina had a very interesting interview with Raiders beat writer Hondo Carpenter discussing this very subject. Perhaps the easiest interview she's ever done. If the things he said about Bricillo are true, fans are going to love him. For those who haven't seen this take the time and watch the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCu9uwzqUmg

Very good podcast/video

Has me extremely excited about Bricillo and Eluemunor

And I hate to admit it because I am the biggest DJ supporter that I know, but this guy made a convincing argument that the Giants might actually take a QB with their 6th spot, and I would be all for it