News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Daboll- No guarantee Daniel Jones will be ready Week 1

Started by MightyGiants, March 23, 2024, 01:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

No point saying anything else at this point in year.

It's clear he's going to be on the roster come September.

katkavage

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on March 24, 2024, 03:55:32 PMNo point saying anything else at this point in year.

It's clear he's going to be on the roster come September.

Doubtful he will be ready.

Philosophers

He's the guy til he's not the guy.  Imagine Drew Lock starting 2-0 and looking really good.  Sorry but DJ is not coming in.  Dabs is playing for his job in 2024. 

DaveBrown74

Feel like this is stating the obvious. The guy is coming off a mid-season ACL tear. Recoveries vary. There was never a "guarantee" he'd be ready.

spiderblue43

Drew Lock could be the starter opening kick. And it isn't a "lock" when DJ will be ready..but there is much to sort out. How good is Lock in Daboll's offense, when Jones can perform, does the OL finally become functional? All subplots ahead of us.

Let's get to the vet OTAs and perhaps we'll know more.

Jclayton92

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 24, 2024, 05:19:11 PMDrew Lock could be the starter opening kick. And it isn't a "lock" when DJ will be ready..but there is much to sort out. How good is Lock in Daboll's offense, when Jones can perform, does the OL finally become functional? All subplots ahead of us.

Let's get to the vet OTAs and perhaps we'll know more.
I think we would find out a lot more about the oline with lock behind center than Jones.

Giant Obsession

Quote from: katkavage on March 24, 2024, 04:02:51 PMDoubtful he will be ready.

That has always been the plan. 

Really, would you trust your job to Daniel Jones.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

Trench

Jones is a superior worker. He will be ready....will he be any good remains to be seen.

It will be fun to watch. I'll root for the guy. But I'd really like to see him practice looking off defenders...guy is awful at that and never practices getting better and that's my frustration with the man

kingm56

Quote from: Philosophers on March 24, 2024, 04:16:50 PMHe's the guy til he's not the guy.  Imagine Drew Lock starting 2-0 and looking really good.  Sorry but DJ is not coming in.  Dabs is playing for his job in 2024. 

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 24, 2024, 04:25:20 PMFeel like this is stating the obvious. The guy is coming off a mid-season ACL tear. Recoveries vary. There was never a "guarantee" he'd be ready.

Spot on, Jeff/Joe.  What are fans expecting the HC/GM to say?  Broadcasting their draft strategy by announcing they're going to draft a QB at 6, or state they're going to ride with DJ one more year, until they can replace him with someone better? There's literally no good alternative to the question posed...both answers were GM/HC speak 101 and both passed...

Bob In PA

Quote from: kingm56 on March 25, 2024, 02:35:37 AMSpot on, Jeff/Joe.  What are fans expecting the HC/GM to say?  Broadcasting their draft strategy by announcing they're going to draft a QB at 6, or state they're going to ride with DJ one more year, until they can replace him with someone better? There's literally no good alternative to the question posed...both answers were GM/HC speak 101 and both passed...

king: I understand why you say that, but IMO they don't have to say anything, so why would they go out of their way to make any statements at all?  No matter what question might be asked by reporters, the answer "We'll have to wait and see because there are so many variables" should always suffice, even for Jones' own ears, because no one knows better than he that his health issue is up-in-the-air (one day at a time). If pressed by the media, the follow-up answer is "I can't predict the future... buy a crystal ball."  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 25, 2024, 07:35:27 AMking: I understand why you say that, but IMO they don't have to say anything, so why would they go out of their way to make any statements at all?  No matter what question might be asked by reporters, the answer "We'll have to wait and see because there are so many variables" should always suffice, even for Jones' own ears, because no one knows better than he that his health issue is up-in-the-air (one day at a time). If pressed by the media, the follow-up answer is "I can't predict the future... buy a crystal ball."  Bob
Bob,

The media would have a field day with this if that was the response.

"Schoen Not Confident in Jones"
"It's the Beginning of the End for Jones"
"Danny's Done in Big Blue"
"Joe Knows; No Jones"
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Bob In PA

Quote from: T200 on March 25, 2024, 08:18:30 AMBob,

The media would have a field day with this if that was the response.

"Schoen Not Confident in Jones"
"It's the Beginning of the End for Jones"
"Danny's Done in Big Blue"
"Joe Knows; No Jones"

Tim: I don't contest your proposed headlines. 

They are as inaccurate (prompted by the statement I suggested) & unfair as I've come to expect from SOME media.

But a GM can't allow a-holes to control what he says. He should say what he means and let the chips fall where they may. And he should NEVER FORGET and be ready to MAKE THEM PAY. The power of the press is vast, but so is the power of the truth. The GM who holds all the cards in pro ball. The media make their living by not losing access to (or the confidence of) the GM. That is within the GM's control.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 25, 2024, 08:54:14 AMTim: I don't contest your proposed headlines. 

They are as inaccurate (prompted by the statement I suggested) & unfair as I've come to expect from SOME media.

But a GM can't allow a-holes to control what he says. He should say what he means and let the chips fall where they may. And he should NEVER FORGET and be ready to MAKE THEM PAY. The power of the press is vast, but so is the power of the truth. The GM who holds all the cards in pro ball. The media make their living by not losing access to (or the confidence of) the GM. That is within the GM's control.

Bob
Bob,

I think Schoen and Daboll have been truthful up to this point. Not 100% mind you, but what they've said has been truthful in that Jones is projected to be the #1 QB. That statement does not preclude them from drafting a QB this year, which also includes making moves to trade up to get a guy they have full confidence in.

In essence, things are the same until they change.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 25, 2024, 08:59:59 AMBob,

I think Schoen and Daboll have been truthful up to this point. Not 100% mind you, but what they've said has been truthful in that Jones is projected to be the #1 QB. That statement does not preclude them from drafting a QB this year, which also includes making moves to trade up to get a guy they have full confidence in.

In essence, things are the same until they change.

This is the critical quote, in my opinion

"The reality is he's coming off three injuries in two years," Schoen said. "That's facts. It's something we've gotta consider. We're gonna address it through free agency and if there's an opportunity in the draft — we're gonna look at every position, not only quarterback because we do have needs across the roster."

Joe and company gambled on Jones staying healthy and that gamble did not pay off.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE