News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants scouting QBs hard

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 09:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

https://x.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/1773163893247914056?s=20

Just reported on Talkin' Ball LIVE with Pat Leonard: source says #Giants are scheduled to send a contingent to Ann Arbor, Mich., on Easter Sunday for a private workout with Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy. Joe Schoen and Brian Daboll attending multiple pro days this week, had LSU QB Jayden Daniels today, UNC's Drake Maye tomorrow. Brandon Brown & Shea Tierney were at McCarthy's pro day, but now comes a closer look #NFLDraft
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I believe this is way more than just lining up prospects for their draft board.  This feels like the Manning year where they want to firmly stamp the next 10 years with a new Giants QB.  I think they will do whatever to get their guy as Accorsi did.

katkavage

Quote from: Philosophers on March 28, 2024, 09:47:26 AMI believe this is way more than just lining up prospects for their draft board.  This feels like the Manning year where they want to firmly stamp the next 10 years with a new Giants QB.  I think they will do whatever to get their guy as Accorsi did.
I think they believe they are close enough that they they can get their guy. It's now or never for both Schoen and Daboll. In the perfect world they would have gotten their guy two years ago but there wasn't anyone out there and couldn't give up on Jones so quickly.

Philosophers

Quote from: katkavage on March 28, 2024, 09:51:29 AMI think they believe they are close enough that they they can get their guy. It's now or never for both Schoen and Daboll. In the perfect world they would have gotten their guy two years ago but there wasn't anyone out there and couldn't give up on Jones so quickly.

Yes 100%.  Close enough like at 4 in the Manning year to do something big.

zephirus

Quote from: katkavage on March 28, 2024, 09:51:29 AMI think they believe they are close enough that they they can get their guy. It's now or never for both Schoen and Daboll. In the perfect world they would have gotten their guy two years ago but there wasn't anyone out there and couldn't give up on Jones so quickly.

Possibly - but would he be "their guy" if they crap the bed next season again with a rookie QB at the helm?  That would only be possible if Mara assured them that they have some rope and he understands this is a reset thats going to take a few years.  And would Mara give them that rope a mere year after an offseason that saw them extend a middling QB to big dollars?  Big questions indeed.

MightyGiants

The challenge for NYG to get a quarterback is twofold.  First, they need to fall in love with a prospect in this draft.  All the prospects in this year's class have warts that could prove problematic.

Then after they fall in love with one (or more), they need to be able to acquire the prospect.  Sitting at 6 makes that a challenge in a year where so many teams need a QB.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

What is important is how close or far apart they have each QB ranked relative to each other.  Could they be close enough that they dont have to trade up?

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 28, 2024, 10:32:45 AMWhat is important is how close or far apart they have each QB ranked relative to each other.  Could they be close enough that they dont have to trade up?

Joe,

It's always seemed to me that with QB, it's a special position. It's not like teams take the view of, "Well, if we don't get Jimbo, Bob will be just as good because he is nearly as talented."  There needs to be that special physical and intangible connection between the QB prospect and the team that drafts him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

files58

Dangling the #6 puts them in a better position than Denver #11, and Minn. #12, #23.

londonblue

The Giants have done the same work on Nabers and Odunze as they are doing on the QBs and it is only different with Harrison in so far as he is not working out. The truth is the same leg work is going into 10 or 12 guys it is just the QBs get way more press. It would be News if we were not putting in the work on the QBs.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 10:37:30 AMJoe,

It's always seemed to me that with QB, it's a special position. It's not like teams take the view of, "Well, if we don't get Jimbo, Bob will be just as good because he is nearly as talented."  There needs to be that special physical and intangible connection between the QB prospect and the team that drafts him.

You are probably right Rich about QB.  In retrospect, having Manning, Ben, or Rivers would all have worked out but at the time maybe Ernie did not think that would be the case.  Would hate to see draft assets given up and ideally your guy falls to you but if you have to go up and get him then so be it.

Bob In PA

For a team in the Giants' position, there must a good reason NOT to take a QB (as there must be if they take one).

By "position" I mean draft slot & the current status of their QB situation. I read nothing extra into this report.

The Giants are known for spending lots of money on the draft and have lot of people involved in draft preparation.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Art Stapleton
@art_stapleton
So #NYGiants crew headed by Brian Daboll and Joe Schoen that was in Baton Rouge yesterday flew to Washington today rather than the shorter trek to Chapel Hill.

QB Michael Penix will throw. UW also has Rome Odunze - who won't work out today - WR Ja'Lynn Polk and Jalen McMillan there too.

Giants will see Drake Maye again in private workout. I knew they were going to circle back with Maye, but I assumed it would first be at Pro Day.

This is probably best way to maximize Pro Days, visits and private workouts.
2:04 PM · Mar 28, 2024
·
 Views

https://x.com/art_stapleton/status/1773410864718024718?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE