News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Would you trade 47 and Slayton for 34

Started by madbadger, April 26, 2024, 11:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 12:18:19 PMI don't disagree and love Powers-Johson.  I think he could turn a position into a strength rather than an adequate player. Right now there is still a bunch of question marks outside of Thomas

Just not sure that Schoen and company will prioritize IOL over some other needs. I assume they have some confidence in the guys they signed.

One of the things that is liberating about being as bad as we were last year is that you could pick any position and improve your team. It's just a question of how the Giants feel about fixing the quarterback going forward. As we stand today the defense is clearly more talented than the offense. Corner and DT make sense here too but they've already used our second round pick to greatly improve this defense. Using a second round pick to improve the offense is reasonable IMHO.

GloryDays

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 12:13:42 PMYou're missing the point. Other the JuJu Smith Schuster they have no starting caliber receivers in that room. The draft is so deep at receiver that there will still be a good receiver available at 47. If they make this trade and draft a receiver at 47 they can give Maye three guys to work with. If they don't they won't. Hopefully teams are learning from the Giants that it's a fools errand to draft a quarterback in the top ten and then deny him having a group of solid receivers to work with. Tell me how the Pats can end up with three solid receivers for Maye?

Got your point. Makes sense if they like Slayton.

jgrangers2

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:39:02 AMThat's true but if they stay at pick 34 there is no guarantee that he will turn into a solid pro and with this trade they get a good receiver who will be good day one and they will have pick 47 to add a lineman or running back to give Maye an even better shot of succeeding. If we have to trade our fourth round pick in return for the Pats fifth round pick to sweeten the pot I won't complain.

I think you are greatly underestimating the value of a rookie contract. It's not just about their immediate impact. It's about the fact that he is a pending FA and whoever you could potentially draft at 34 would be making peanuts relative to what you'd have to pay Slayton and Slayton isn't even a game changer. He's a solid #3 receiver and an ok #2, but you'd be lucky to get a day 3 pick for somebody of that stature.

Stringer Bell

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 11:59:14 AMLook at the Patriots receiver room and tell me that they would have zero interest in a guy who managed to put up 770 yards and four touchdowns while being targeted by guys like DeVito and Taylor. He isn't nearly as bad as your post implies he is. They also would get pick 47 and there will still be good receivers available if they want to continue to add to that group.

I never said he was bad or implied that he was bad. What I said was he has no trade value. Your proposed trade is the opposite of a Pats-type move. They do not give up draft capital for vets in need of a new contract. They move on from guys like Slayton, not trade assets for them.

The Pats could get a talented WR in the third round who is cheaper and younger than Slayton and could produce comparable results. Sane for every other team. And that's why Slayton has no trade value.

Painter

I would, although it's really not up to the Giants but to the Pats who would have to think Slayton is worth nothing less than 3rd Round value, and otherwise see him and the Giants 47 as worth as much or more than a Left Tackle to help protect Drake Maye while they might then use their next pick for a WR.

Cheers!

madbadger

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 26, 2024, 12:28:28 PMI think you are greatly underestimating the value of a rookie contract. It's not just about their immediate impact. It's about the fact that he is a pending FA and whoever you could potentially draft at 34 would be making peanuts relative to what you'd have to pay Slayton and Slayton isn't even a game changer. He's a solid #3 receiver and an ok #2, but you'd be lucky to get a day 3 pick for somebody of that stature.

No not at all. Slayton is a nice receiver who isn't going to command big money. If he hasn't realized that by now he isn't paying attention. Being a starter in New England has got to be far more preferable than coming off the bench somewhere and if he tries to overplay his hand that's exactly what gonna happen. For the guys telling me I'm dead wrong what did Schoen get for that head case Toney who hadn't, even established himself a being a starter in this league, let alone a third guy?

londonblue

I'd only consider it for DeJean or McKinstry and only if we have clean medical evaluations on them. We have bigger needs at CB/NCB than G IMO.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

madbadger

Quote from: londonblue on April 26, 2024, 01:12:04 PMI'd only consider it for DeJean or McKinstry and only if we have clean medical evaluations on them. We have bigger needs at CB/NCB than G IMO.

Maybe but none of us knows how the staff feel about Flott and Hawkins. If they really like the both of them than we don't really have a need do we?

Philosophers

Great idea.  Would be worth taking the call if the Pats.  Surround Maye with some NFL proven players.

Good suggested players to get.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 01:20:09 PMMaybe but none of us knows how the staff feel about Flott and Hawkins. If they really like the both of them than we don't really have a need do we?

Not to mention Adoree is still available as a FA and would probably settle for vet-min, and he already knows the team, and what he has to clean up. He had an off year last year, but has put together solid years before that

Or, they could take a look at CB Xavien Howard who's still available and only 29 years old with 8-years experience in Miami who took him in the second round

Adoree and/or Howard are vets who could mentor Flott and Hawkins. Flott is finally adding muscle and Hawkins has put in his time as a rookie and now knows what he has to do to become a starter, and I'm sure that's all he concentrated on during the off-season

Bottom line: we are not in CB hell and if we draft a rookie, he's in for a "rookie season" of lumps and duhs. We were fortunate that Banks was a quick study. That's rare in the CB world
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jgrangers2

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 01:09:20 PMNo not at all. Slayton is a nice receiver who isn't going to command big money. If he hasn't realized that by now he isn't paying attention. Being a starter in New England has got to be far more preferable than coming off the bench somewhere and if he tries to overplay his hand that's exactly what gonna happen. For the guys telling me I'm dead wrong what did Schoen get for that head case Toney who hadn't, even established himself a being a starter in this league, let alone a third guy?

Slayton is a mid-level wide receiver. He is not a game changing guy, just a solid supplementary piece. No team is moving from 34 to 47 to get that kind of player. The Toney example is completely different because he was in the second year of his rookie deal and under contract for at least 2.5 more years.

madbadger

Quote from: jgrangers2 on April 26, 2024, 02:17:11 PMSlayton is a mid-level wide receiver. He is not a game changing guy, just a solid supplementary piece. No team is moving from 34 to 47 to get that kind of player. The Toney example is completely different because he was in the second year of his rookie deal and under contract for at least 2.5 more years.

So you'd be fine burning a second round draft pick on a head case, with an injury history and no proven track record simply because he's on a rookie deal but dropping 15 spots to get a solid NFL starter, who's been a good teammate is a bridge too far?

jgrangers2

Quote from: madbadger on April 26, 2024, 02:24:20 PMSo you'd be fine burning a second round draft pick on a head case, with an injury history and no proven track record simply because he's on a rookie deal but dropping 15 spots to get a solid NFL starter, who's been a good teammate is a bridge too far?

The Chiefs sent us a compensatory third round pick and a 6th for Toney. He was also less than 2 years removed from being a first round pick and had 2+ years left on his rookie deal. The Chiefs were also one of the few teams where such a gamble made sense. And yes, in a salary cap league, potential talent on a rookie deal is as good as gold. If I'm the Patriots, why am I moving down 13 spots just to get a #3 wide receiver who is holding out for a new contract? The only way I would consider this is if I really didn't like my options at 34.