News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Where does this leave Slayton?

Started by Trench, April 25, 2024, 09:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: TONKA56 on April 26, 2024, 07:49:49 AMOne thing we are going to see this year is disrespect for our running attack until it proves itself. Teams will focus on taking the deep ball away. This will be a great departure to what we've seen in previous years.

Tonka: Completely agree, but this year IMO they have the answer. Both Robinson and Nabers can contribute in the run-game, and Singletary is a proven NFL-caliber RB. Gray will no longer be a rookie and maybe he's ready to contribute. I think to address your point directly, this year the pass-attack will open it up for the run-game. Daboll/Kafka are not traditional coaches... they prefer the "newfangled" pass-first offenses, and whether we like it or not there will be very little (if any) "Giants' football" on offense and a lot more open attack. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

TONKA56

Quote from: Bob In PA on April 26, 2024, 08:01:04 AMTonka: Completely agree, but this year IMO they have the answer. Both Robinson and Nabers can contribute in the run-game, and Singletary is a proven NFL-caliber RB. Gray will no longer be a rookie and maybe he's ready to contribute. I think to address your point directly, this year the pass-attack will open it up for the run-game. Daboll/Kafka are not traditional coaches... they prefer the "newfangled" pass-first offenses, and whether we like it or not there will be very little (if any) "Giants' football" on offense and a lot more open attack. Bob

I think you'll see a team that is capable of generating more big plays but struggles mightily to convert short yardage and to run out the clock.

Giant Obsession

I doubt there will be more than a handful of games where we are attempting to run out the clock.

But your point is right on.
Mike

January 11, 2022  -- The Head Bozo of this Clown Show has spoken.  Five more years of darkness.  The Dark Ages Part 2 continue.

January 4, 2016  -- Dark Ages part 2 is born.

Enjoy every sandwich -- Warren Zevon

TONKA56

Quote from: Giant Obsession on April 26, 2024, 09:52:31 AMI doubt there will be more than a handful of games where we are attempting to run out the clock.

But your point is right on.

I think that could very well depend on how well the defense plays. But I appreciate your point.

killarich

Think anyone would give a second rounder for Slayton ? lol

I like the dude but I want the team to get a beefy DT and Corner

uconnjack8

Quote from: killarich on April 26, 2024, 10:00:36 AMThink anyone would give a second rounder for Slayton ? lol

I don't think a 2nd rounder is on the table, especially for this year's draft. There is still several good WRs available and if teams like the Bills that are WR needy pass or miss out (they pick first today) then I could see a trade happening.  At best I think a 3rd or 4th for next years draft could happen.

I think the most likely scenario is a post draft trade which is why I think a 2025 pick is most likely. 

bamagiantfan

Quote from: killarich on April 26, 2024, 10:00:36 AMThink anyone would give a second rounder for Slayton ? lol

With all the young WRs still available going into the second round that you could have on a rookie deal, uh.....no. Any trade of Slayton would be initiated by the Giants to free up CAP space and they would take whatever they could get. That said, I don't think he is on the trading block.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Painter

Never mind the speculation about where Nabers will line up. He will play wherever he best suits the  Giants Offense as was the case with OBJ who began play as a Y- with some Slot- and later became a mainstay at the X-.

While the addition of a talent like Nabers to the Giants usual 6-man Receiver Corps including Hyatt, Hodgins, and Robinson was absolutely essential, it leaves a lot of room for them to keep Slayton this year as long as he's willing. Other than Boykin and/ or a punt returner type, it's not obvious who among the preseason roster would be more useful/valuable.

Cheers!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Painter on April 26, 2024, 01:48:01 PMNever mind the speculation about where Nabers will line up. He will play wherever he best suits the  Giants Offense as was the case with OBJ who began play as a Y- with some Slot- and later became a mainstay at the X-.

While the addition of a talent like Nabers to the Giants usual 6-man Receiver Corps including Hyatt, Hodgins, and Robinson was absolutely essential, it leaves a lot of room for them to keep Slayton this year as long as he's willing. Other than Boykin and/ or a punt returner type, it's not obvious who among the preseason roster would be more useful/valuable.

Cheers!

Larry: Absolutely, and I for one hope he stays. He's about to have a IMO great opportunity to elevate himself (through his production) this season. Having a WR everyone WILL worry about means that he will attract less attention from the defense... isn't this actually what every NFL WR really wants (or should hope for)?  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Stringer Bell

Quote from: uconnjack8 on April 26, 2024, 10:30:28 AMI don't think a 2nd rounder is on the table, especially for this year's draft. There is still several good WRs available and if teams like the Bills that are WR needy pass or miss out (they pick first today) then I could see a trade happening.  At best I think a 3rd or 4th for next years draft could happen.

I think the most likely scenario is a post draft trade which is why I think a 2025 pick is most likely. 

No one is giving up a 3rd or 4th for Slayton.

B1GBLUE

Quote from: Trench on April 25, 2024, 09:54:28 PMWith the pick of #1 WR Nabers, Hyatt and WanDale - where do we see Slyton?

Will he be traded?

wr1 nabers
wr2 slayton

those 2 guys on the outside are pretty decent

wandale primary slot receiver
hyatt rotates in or is the deep guy on 4 receiver sets.

pretty simple.