News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is the Giants’ 2024 roster better than the one Joe Schoen inherited ?

Started by brownelvis54, Today at 01:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Is the Giants' 2024 roster better than the one Joe Schoen inherited after the 2021 season?

Is the New York Giants' roster today better than the one Joe Schoen inherited from Dave Gettleman when he took over as general manager in 2022?

There are 11 players on the current 90-man roster who were drafted or signed by Gettleman. They are:

WR Darius Slayton, LT Andrew Thomas, DT Dexter Lawrence, edge Azeez Ojulari, CB Aaron Robinson, PK Graham Gano, LS Casey Kreiter, RB Gary Brightwell, LB Carter Coughlin, CB Darnay Holmes, QB Daniel Jones.

A breakdown:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/is-the-giants-2024-roster-better-than-the-one-joe-schoen-inherited-after-the-2021-season/ar-BB1lU7Gl?ocid=BingNewsSerp
The KING is in the building

Painter

For my thoughts, see Better or Worse above. Or below as it may be.

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

Is it better? I would say yes. O line is better, D is better, we have a star receiver, and our special teams are better.

Is it as improved as it should be after three offseasons since Schoen's hiring? I would have to say no.

nb587

The article touched on the problem that confronted Schoen caused by making the playoffs in 2022.  There is no way they give Jones his contract if they were bad as most expected them to be.  Making the playoffs and having to deal with Barkley along with a meddling owner (in my opinion) forced decisions Schoen no doubt regrets.  Nevertheless I think he has a plan that will work if given time.

Gmo11

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on Today at 03:53:13 PMIs it better? I would say yes. O line is better, D is better, we have a star receiver, and our special teams are better.

Is it as improved as it should be after three offseasons since Schoen's hiring? I would have to say no.

I would agree with that. But I'd add that Neal was a no brainer pick that any GM in the league (save Gettleman) would have taken in that spot and if he had turned out to be even serviceable that changes things in my opinion. If Neal was good the team would be much better off overall, although they'd still have a QB problem I suppose.

Philosophers

Quote from: Gmo11 on Today at 05:33:21 PMI would agree with that. But I'd add that Neal was a no brainer pick that any GM in the league (save Gettleman) would have taken in that spot and if he had turned out to be even serviceable that changes things in my opinion. If Neal was good the team would be much better off overall, although they'd still have a QB problem I suppose.

I dont agree that every GM would have taken Neal.  Possible another passes because of his lack of testing or looks at data or does interviews differently.

Would every GM have drafted Saquon and his more obvious talent out of college than Neal?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Gmo11 on Today at 05:33:21 PMI would agree with that. But I'd add that Neal was a no brainer pick that any GM in the league (save Gettleman) would have taken in that spot and if he had turned out to be even serviceable that changes things in my opinion. If Neal was good the team would be much better off overall, although they'd still have a QB problem I suppose.

They could have taken Ekwonu 5th overall but they prioritized Thibodeaux. There was an active debate as to who was better between Neal and Ekwonu. So far Ekwonu has been the materially better player (mainly due to Neal being so awful).

But even despite the Neal conundrum, Schoen has done a very poor job overall dealing with the O line mess since taking over prior to this offseason. Every free agent he has brought in has been brutal and every draft pick, so far at least, has either looked awful, gotten hurt quickly, or both. The O line coach left a lot to be desired until this offseason as well, and while that may have been Daboll's hire, Daboll is Schoen's hire so ultimately Schoen is responsible.

By the way, I've been a pretty steady Schoen supporter and still am, but I'm not going to gloss over areas where I don't think he has done a good job to this point. Let's hope the decisions made in this most recent offseason lead to better O line play in 2024 and beyond.