News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFT: super immunity from COVID-19

Started by brownelvis54, December 17, 2021, 05:33:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Painter

There are folks, too many of them, that are trapped by systematic errors in reasoning.

Some folks were told by You Know Who that Covid-19 was not a threat, and despite his own ass-protecting flip flop, still can't see the truth. Others fear side-effects, which are remarkably rare but purposely distorted by any number of lying sonsofbitches. And there are those who are so insecure that they distrust just about everything that challenges their low self-esteem. They will seek justification in damn near any conspiracy theory.

That's how it is, and always will be. What the current pandemic has done is to bring to our attention the ineptitude and incapacity of so many among us. But perhaps, we ought not to be surprised when we consider just how extensive is the racism, xenophobia, religious bigotry, and delusionism among us.

It will take more than super-immunity to overcome that.

Cheers!

Philosophers

After multiple years now with this global pandemic, why do folks still think about the high survival rate and not about the pressure this pandemic puts on our hospital beds and intensive cares?  Over here in Kauai, we have only 9 ICU beds and yesterday had 41 new cases which was a markedly higher increase.  Imagine how quickly those 9 ICU beds will get filled up to beyond 100% capacity by those new cases from yesterday, today and tomorrow of people who get very sick from COVID.  Imagine the other non-COVID very sick people from other diseases, car accidents, etc who need those ICU beds who can't get them.  Why is this so hard to understand the stress this causes to a community and its citizenry and its health care providers?  Now, with so much data available about the benefits of getting shots and boosters to significantly reduce your chances of getting sick to where you'd need to fill one of those ICU beds and stress the system, why can't Americans put aside their ridiculous obstinancy and get the damn shots to help their local community?

LennG

What boggles my mind is now that this new drug has been approved to help curb the effects of Covid, all the people that refuse to get vaccinated because they claim they don't know about side effects, that the vaccines were rushed and all good stuff like that, will gladly take another new drug that just came out.

How do you figure this???
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

Joe, Larry, Lenn and Mark

You are all making incredibly good and valid points.   Bravo to you all.   Sadly, though there are three factors working against us and for Covid

1)  Toxic political propaganda
2)  The natural distrust of authority in immigrant communities
3)   Past racial wrongs (including human medical experimentation on African Americans)

Those three factors are driving much of the vaccine hesitancy and the detrimental refusals to follow good public health practices

Yet, I wish I could say that this is just a uniquely American problem.   From what I have gathered, this dangerous ignorance is pretty much as widespread on the planet as the disease itself.

I guess the bigger problem was as technology (like cable TV, internet, social media, etc) increased the world's access to knowledge, it removed all the gatekeepers and safeguards that made misinformation harder to peddle and spread.    Populism and encouraging distrust in our government, media, and other critical institutions may have served various nefarious short-term goals, but it had long-term very detrimental effects.

Plus not all knowledge is good or spreads as well.  While the techniques of manipulation, propaganda, social engineering, etc are studied refined, and improved, the teaching of critical thinking skills and the ability to identify efforts to manipulate have not kept up.   

So here we are, having to fight ignorance (and other shortcomings) to save people from killing themselves and others and being demonized for the efforts

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: LennG on December 23, 2021, 12:30:38 PM
What boggles my mind is now that this new drug has been approved to help curb the effects of Covid, all the people that refuse to get vaccinated because they claim they don't know about side effects, that the vaccines were rushed and all good stuff like that, will gladly take another new drug that just came out.

How do you figure this???
I think that is an assumption.

There are those I

gregf

Rich and Paul, while I appreciate your strong views on the subject, we are flirting with losing this thread.  I appreciate the info coming.  Please do all possible to not character attack.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: gregf on December 23, 2021, 02:00:37 PM
Rich and Paul, while I appreciate your strong views on the subject, we are flirting with losing this thread.  I appreciate the info coming.  Please do all possible to not character attack.

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Respectfully,

I believe I had not attacked anyones characters unless it is in response to my own being questioned and pushing back in response.  If you look at the one constant in attacking character and calling names I think it comes to the same person consistently that never has to pay the piper for his transgressions here.  Till that changes it will continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on December 23, 2021, 02:49:21 PM
Respectfully,

I believe I had not attacked anyones characters unless it is in response to my own being questioned and pushing back in response.  If you look at the one constant in attacking character and calling names I think it comes to the same person consistently that never has to pay the piper for his transgressions here.  Till that changes it will continue.

No one called you names so drop the fake victim act.   On the other hand, you couldn't expect not to get pushback as you tried to spread dangerous misinformation on Covid.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 23, 2021, 03:02:42 PM
No one called you names so drop the fake victim act.   On the other hand, you couldn't expect not to get pushback as you tried to spread dangerous misinformation on Covid.

Nothing I said was misinformation.  I simply asked what the survival rate was And you have still yet to answer my question.  How is that misinformation?

You constantly attack peoples character here.  Just in another thread your attack on Len was deleted when you called him names.  So talk about playing it up as the victim. Hmmmm

MightyGiants

Quote from: Slugs Narrows on December 23, 2021, 03:14:19 PM
Nothing I said was misinformation.  I simply asked what the survival rate was And you have still yet to answer my question.  How is that misinformation?

You constantly attack peoples character here.  Just in another thread your attack on Len was deleted when you called him names.  So talk about playing it up as the victim. Hmmmm

Paul,

Try a little honesty.   You did far more than just ask a question.  You made false claims of fear-mongering and told people not to trust the government or the media.    It's funny you brought up Len's post (that Ed had to delete because Len LIED about me and SLANDERED me).   It's pretty shameful that you support lies and slander and personal attacks and then try to twist your terrible deeds in a way where you try and paint yourself as this poor little victim.  With people like you (and Len) honesty and honor have lost all meaning.     

While I have literally spent a lifetime working for and volunteering to help people, you and Len have spend your time tying to harm others either through lies or false personal attacks. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

I fail to understand after I had to delete and clean up all the attack posts on this thread so I could reopen it for some useful information, why it starts all over again. It takes two to tango.

Time to hit the brakes, take the fork in the road and avoid these toxic relationships. There
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: MightyGiants on December 23, 2021, 03:38:38 PM
Paul,

Try a little honesty.   You did far more than just ask a question.  You made false claims of fear-mongering and told people not to trust the government or the media.    It's funny you brought up Len's post (that Ed had to delete because Len LIED about me and SLANDERED me).   It's pretty shameful that you support lies and slander and personal attacks and then try to twist your terrible deeds in a way where you try and paint yourself as this poor little victim.  With people like you (and Len) honesty and honor have lost all meaning.     

While I have literally spent a lifetime working for and volunteering to help people, you and Len have spend your time tying to harm others either through lies or false personal attacks.
I am honest maybe you should try it as well.

Just cause you don

Slugsy-Narrows

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 23, 2021, 03:57:32 PM
I fail to understand after I had to delete and clean up all the attack posts on this thread so I could reopen it for some useful information, why it starts all over again. It takes two to tango.

Time to hit the brakes, take the fork in the road and avoid these toxic relationships. There