News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NGT- Micah Parson rocking the boat

Started by MightyGiants, January 25, 2023, 12:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Grime Time

So it's begins....  Excellent
Get busy livin ,  or get busy dying.

AYM

Last year it was Amari Cooper. Now it's Micah Parsons and the Cowboys' own twitter.

I think Jerry Jones has a problem on his hands; and I thought earlier this season the team played harder for Cooper Rush.

todge

Perhaps we know why Parsons was off many Draft Boards due to character issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nb587

Quote from: todge on January 25, 2023, 07:25:47 PMPerhaps we know why Pardons was off many Draft Boards due to character issues

Yes.  Front office incompetence

goNets

If I had the skills, I'd create bot social media accounts to follow Micah Parsons and cheer him on when he makes statements like this.

kingm56

He's right, and it's not a recent development...this paradigm has existed for 5 years.  There are two types of teams that win SBs:

1. Teams with QBs on a lucrative second/third contract who are fringe (e.g. Stafford), or on a surefire HoF trajectory (e.g. Mahomes, '20 Brady and '19/20 Rodgers);
2. Teams with top 10 QBs playing on rookie contracts (e.g. Hurts, Allen, Burrow, etc..)

Teams who employ QBs that fail to fit 1 or 2 (e.g. Minn, Dal, Tenn, Balt, ect) are good teams, but not true SB contenders.  Lets hope the Giants subscribe to Parsons twitter feed; then again, Schoen projects confidence and intelligence...I suspect hes keenly aware of the new NFL paradigm and will maneuver accordingly. In short, Parson's is spot-on...

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on January 26, 2023, 12:15:44 AMHe's right, and it's not a recent development...this paradigm has existed for 5 years.  There are two types of teams that win SBs:

1. Teams with QBs on a lucrative second/third contract who are fringe (e.g. Stafford), or on a surefire HoF trajectory (e.g. Mahomes, '20 Brady and '19/20 Rodgers);
2. Teams with top 10 QBs playing on rookie contracts (e.g. Hurts, Allen, Burrow, etc..)

Teams who employ QBs that fail to fit 1 or 2 (e.g. Minn, Dal, Tenn, Balt, ect) are good teams, but not true SB contenders.  Lets hope the Giants subscribe to Parsons twitter feed; then again, Schoen projects confidence and intelligence...I suspect hes keenly aware of the new NFL paradigm and will maneuver accordingly. In short, Parson's is spot-on...

I think you are overselling Stafford as a "fringe HOF QB" as the guy has been a Pro Bowler all of once.

Still, QB is a challenge for teams, period.

Some teams moved on from one QB to another, trying to avoid the expense of the contracts good QBs make with limited to no success.  The Commanders and the Jets are two such teams.   Others dumped a first-rounder for a top pick only to find themselves in a mess, as the Cards have done.   The Bills signed their elite QB, Allen, and they didn't do well this year and their cap is a mess next year, so they are likely to take a step back.  The Chiefs are going to be up against the cap, so if they don't grab another SB trophy this year, their window could be closing as the Chiefs are likely to start declining as Mahomes cap number grows.

You can go the route of just building our massively good rosters as the Eagles and 49ers have so that the QB doesn't matter as much.   The challenge there is such moves are often easier said than done. 

The Bengals are enjoying having tanked for the first pick (Burrow) and having him hurt his rookie year, so they were bad enough to be in a high position to grab Chase the next year.   Having your elite QB and WR on rookie deals makes things pretty easy.

The reality is the NFL has screwed up by making the QB position so important and allowing QB salaries to skyrocket to the point where teams are damned if they have a franchise QB and damned if they don't unless their franchise QB is on their rookie deal (and flourish quickly).  Now teams have extended that window a bit by signing their franchise QBs to backloaded deals, but that creates an even greater issue later on.

As to Parsons being right or wrong, first off, Parsons is massively wrong for calling out his QB like that.
As to the point, I think it may have been more an issue of Dak Prescott more than anything.   I believe there are other QBs (including Jones) who, if they were under center for the Cowboys, the Cowboys would have advanced to the championship round, as despite Dak's salary, the Cowboys are a very talented team.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Superbly stated Rich!

Personally, I don't think Parsons was saying anything that would reflect that he has a character flaw. I think he just stated the obvious. Not exactly rocking the boat and nothing that Jerruh doesn't already know. Although, I wouldn't be unhappy if he is disgruntled  :laugh:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on January 26, 2023, 08:45:51 AMSuperbly stated Rich!

Personally, I don't think Parsons was saying anything that would reflect that he has a character flaw. I think he just stated the obvious. Not exactly rocking the boat and nothing that Jerruh doesn't already know. Although, I wouldn't be unhappy if he is disgruntled  :laugh:

In fairness to Parsons, he pretty much followed the lead of his team's owner and the team's Twitter account.  The problem for the Cowboys is all this vitriol directed at Dak will only hurt the team as the Cowboys are saddled with Dak for at least one more season because cutting him now will cost them more in terms of the salary cap.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Dak is taking a lot of heat. On top of that, his girlfriend cut him as well. At least he has a ton of money so a hot new girlfriend will fall into his lap at some point

coggs

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 26, 2023, 08:39:57 AMI think you are overselling Stafford as a "fringe HOF QB" as the guy has been a Pro Bowler all of once.

Agreed. Didn't the Rams completely sell out their future for last year? Granted, they won and it worked.  However, their cap next year is a complete disaster.  They are already over the cap and going to have to take some big dead money cap hits to save a few dollars here and there to get under.  2024 also looks pretty bad for them although a tad bit better.
https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/los-angeles-rams

T200

Quote from: coggs on January 26, 2023, 09:33:10 AMAgreed. Didn't the Rams completely sell out their future for last year? Granted, they won and it worked.  However, their cap next year is a complete disaster.  They are already over the cap and going to have to take some big dead money cap hits to save a few dollars here and there to get under.  2024 also looks pretty bad for them although a tad bit better.
Short-term gain, long-term pain.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

todge

Quote from: nb587 on January 25, 2023, 10:20:48 PMYes.  Front office incompetence
Would suggest you Google this. There are plenty of pre-Draft articles on the topic.

It has nothing to do with "front office incompetence " because teams as well as the Giants just don't want headaches on their team.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: coggs on January 26, 2023, 09:33:10 AMAgreed. Didn't the Rams completely sell out their future for last year? Granted, they won and it worked.  However, their cap next year is a complete disaster.  They are already over the cap and going to have to take some big dead money cap hits to save a few dollars here and there to get under.  2024 also looks pretty bad for them although a tad bit better.

Not only are they in cap hell, they traded away so many draft picks that they only have 6 picks...4 of them are in the 6th and 7th rds. They still have a 2nd and 3rd, I believe. Their problems won't be remedied through the draft...at least not this year