News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF grades

Started by MightyGiants, October 09, 2023, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

True Blue

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 03:45:37 PMWanna know why I don't take PFF grades seriously?  How about this:

Week 5 Grades:

Daniel Jones: 87.1

Trevor Lawrence: 84.1

PFF believes that Lawrence's 2 fumbles recovered by Buffalo made him less valuable than Jones despite Lawrence throwing for over 300 yards and a TD when Jones barely threw for over 100 yards.

It's all about fitting the narrative or agenda based. When PFF is used in the opposite end, the use of PFF is flawed and viewed in a vacuum.

If DJ wasn't graded how he was, this thread would look very different

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 03:53:22 PMIt's all about fitting the narrative or agenda based. When PFF is used in the opposite end, the use of PFF is flawed and viewed in a vacuum.

To your point, look at conversations (or rather, the lack thereof) regarding Jones's QBR. That metric was thrown around a lot last year to argue Jones was a top-10 QB. Now? Hardly mentioned. And I'm guessing the fact that he's 28th in the NFL probably has something to do with it.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 03:45:37 PMWanna know why I don't take PFF grades seriously?  How about this:

Week 5 Grades:

Daniel Jones: 87.1

Trevor Lawrence: 84.1

PFF believes that Lawrence's 2 fumbles recovered by Buffalo made him less valuable than Jones despite Lawrence throwing for over 300 yards and a TD when Jones barely threw for over 100 yards.

Or maybe Jones didn't play as poor as you think. Maybe those deep shots to Waller were viewed as catchable passes that Waller didn't get the job done.

Maybe they see what 99.9% of the world sees that the OL is so bad - no one can play effectively with it.

MightyGiants

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 03:53:22 PMIt's all about fitting the narrative or agenda based. When PFF is used in the opposite end, the use of PFF is flawed and viewed in a vacuum.

True you and @Rambo89 had nothing bad to say about PFF when they were giving Jones bad grades.  The minute they give him a good grade the two of you suddenly claim PFF is biased, can't be trusted, is treated like a Bible etc 

It's funny how accusations can actually be a confession.

As for me, I post these grades every week good or bad. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 04:14:09 PMOr maybe Jones didn't play as poor as you think. Maybe those deep shots to Waller were viewed as catchable passes that Waller didn't get the job done.

Maybe they see what 99.9% of the world sees that the OL is so bad - no one can play effectively with it.

Or maybe they value a conservative performance where there are 4 out of 19 passes attempted over 10 yards over a QB who throws for over 300 yards and a TD but fumbles twice?

BTW this is more about Trevor Lawrence's performance being rated lower than Jones's performance by PFF yesterday which is insane and shows how flawed PFF's grading system is.

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 04:17:23 PMTrue you and @Rambo89

And yourself. 
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

Jclayton92

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 04:14:09 PMOr maybe Jones didn't play as poor as you think. Maybe those deep shots to Waller were viewed as catchable passes that Waller didn't get the job done.

If the line was fixed it would makes no difference whatsoever. You can think it would but Jones is not going to be something that he's never been with a fixes Oline. He'll be the same guy throwing for 3,000 yards regardless of who is on the line and in the modern NFL that's not good enough.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 04:19:33 PMAnd yourself. 

This is factually false.  I post the grades every week, good or bad.  It's also factually true you only criticize PFF if they give Jones a good grade
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on October 09, 2023, 04:22:23 PMIf the line was fixed it would makes no difference whatsoever. You can think it would but Jones is not going to be something that he's never been with a fixes Oline. He'll be the same guy throwing for 3,000 yards regardless of who is on the line and in the modern NFL that's not good enough.

Jess,

Daniel Jones has never played behind a good line.  So how do you know how he would play behind a good line?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 04:19:33 PMOr maybe they value a conservative performance where there are 4 out of 19 passes attempted over 10 yards over a QB who throws for over 300 yards and a TD but fumbles twice?

BTW this is more about Trevor Lawrence's performance being rated lower than Jones's performance by PFF yesterday which is insane and shows how flawed PFF's grading system is.

And yourself. 

Both of Lawrence's turnovers cost them opportunities at points - so he was probably docked majorly for that. He also made a throws with a. Clean pocket and wide open WRs - so he probably didn't give as much credit as you think.

What you will always fail to understand is when a QB is pressured (Jones is on pace to be the most pressured QB ever) - plays are disrupted, you can't go through progrsssions, you can't let your WRs finish routes.

And I know you're a big proponent of just throwing it up even if he hasn't finished his drop or WRs haven't finished their route. I am sure you're all for throwing to WRs who are even looking for the ball too.

You absolutely have a one track mind at this point. Any thread not dedicated to Jones - you make it a Jones thread. It's really tough to have civil discussion about the team at this point. I am not trying to be mean or not telling you not to post - but every single post in every single thread is about Jones, Jones, Jones. We get it already.

Rambo89

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 04:23:45 PMThis is factually false.  I post the grades every week, good or bad.  It's also factually true you only criticize PFF if they give Jones a good grade

Actually I've been critical of PFF for a while so I ask again that you please stop making up things about myself that aren't true.

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 04:27:15 PMBoth of Lawrence's turnovers cost them opportunities at points - so he was probably docked majorly for that. He also made a throws with a. Clean pocket and wide open WRs - so he probably didn't give as much credit as you think.

What you will always fail to understand is when a QB is pressured (Jones is on pace to be the most pressured QB ever) - plays are disrupted, you can't go through progrsssions, you can't let your WRs finish routes.

And I know you're a big proponent of just throwing it up even if he hasn't finished his drop or WRs haven't finished their route. I am sure you're all for throwing to WRs who are even looking for the ball too.

You absolutely have a one track mind at this point. Any thread not dedicated to Jones - you make it a Jones thread. It's really tough to have civil discussion about the team at this point. I am not trying to be mean or not telling you not to post - but every single post in every single thread is about Jones, Jones, Jones. We get it already.

Again Lawrence threw for over 300 yards and a TD.  Even with those 2 turnovers how is he rated lesser than a QB who had a bit over 100 yards who had 4 attempts over 10 yards?  Do you believe that a 120 yard 0 TD 0 turnover passing game is more valuable than a 300 yard 1 TD but two fumbles performance?

Take the names Lawrence and Daniel Jones out of the picture which I understand might be difficult for you.

LennG

QuoteJones had a near-elite 87.1

=))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))

I'm OK, I'm OK, just was stunned a bit.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 04:37:10 PMActually I've been critical of PFF for a while so I ask again that you please stop making up things about myself that aren't true.

Again Lawrence threw for over 300 yards and a TD.  Even with those 2 turnovers how is he rated lesser than a QB who had a bit over 100 yards who had 4 attempts over 10 yards?  Do you believe that a 120 yard 0 TD 0 turnover passing game is more valuable than a 300 yard 1 TD but two fumbles performance?

Take the names Lawrence and Daniel Jones out of the picture which I understand might be difficult for you.

I'll do that once you stop blaming Jones for everything. I won't hold my breath... trust me.

And a reminder - you said Lawrence was an elite QB like Mahomes - so I'll take your evaluation with a huge grain of salt... lol

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 04:46:52 PMI'll do that once you stop blaming Jones for everything. I won't hold my breath... trust me.

And a reminder - you said Lawrence was an elite QB like Mahomes - so I'll take your evaluation with a huge grain of salt... lol

As I expected you didn't answer the question of what performance you would value more and believe is the better game.  Tells me everything when it comes to your ability to have an honest civil conversation.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 04:57:27 PMAs I expected you didn't answer the question of what performance you would value more and believe is the better game.  Tells me everything when it comes to your ability to have an honest civil conversation.

I didn't watch Lawrence play. So how could I? Just speculate on stats? Watching 45 seconds of highlights isn't the way I like to grade out players. Maybe you do, but I tend to look at bigger things than just stats.

True Blue

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:02:09 PMI didn't watch Lawrence play. So how could I? Just speculate on stats? Watching 45 seconds of highlights isn't the way I like to grade out players. Maybe you do, but I tend to look at bigger things than just stats.

If you didn't watch, then you are in no position to say who played better than who.