News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

PFF grades

Started by MightyGiants, October 09, 2023, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:02:09 PMI didn't watch Lawrence play. So how could I? Just speculate on stats? Watching 45 seconds of highlights isn't the way I like to grade out players. Maybe you do, but I tend to look at bigger things than just stats.

That wasn't the question.  The question was which performance do you value more and believe is worthy of being graded as the better performance the 14-20 119 0 TD 0 INT game or the 25-37 315 1 TD 0 INT but 2 fumbles game?

Again take away the names and just look at it on the surface.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

JT39

Quote from: True Blue on October 09, 2023, 05:04:29 PMIf you didn't watch, then you are in no position to say who played better than who.

Well good thing I didn't, right? Someone asked why the ratings were they were there and I used a few plays as reasoning why.

Never said Jones was better than Lawrence, but good try. A for effort, F for execution.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 05:05:50 PMThat wasn't the question.  The question was which performance do you value more and believe is worthy of being graded as the better performance the 14-20 119 0 TD 0 INT game or the 25-37 315 1 TD 0 INT but 2 fumbles game?

Again take away the names and just look at it on the surface.

Well like I said previously - I don't look at stats to say whose better. You might, but it's a more of an amateur way to look at things.

You can't make judgements comparing players if you don't watch one play. Plus you're not even throwing in variables that you continually dismiss - so why bother asking.

How about we say this - Jones is the worst QB in the league and everyone plays better than him... so you don't have to ruin every thread?

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:08:52 PMWell like I said previously - I don't look at stats to say whose better. You might, but it's a more of an amateur way to look at things.

You can't make judgements comparing players if you don't watch one play. Plus you're not even throwing in variables that you continually dismiss - so why bother asking.

How about we say this - Jones is the worst QB in the league and everyone plays better than him... so you don't have to ruin every thread?

Can't say I didn't try to have a civil conversation when I ask a simple question that you can't answer to show how flawed PFF's grades are and why I've been critical of their grades for a while using them as fact as some have done and continue to do.

JT39

I answered it twice. You just didn't like my answer. That's a you problem.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:14:20 PMI answered it twice. You just didn't like my answer. That's a you problem.

If you did you would have picked one or the other as being the better performance.  Instead you choose to deflect why you couldn't answer.  That's fine but don't lie and take personal shots at me.

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 05:16:51 PMIf you did you would have picked one or the other as being the better performance.  Instead you choose to deflect why you couldn't answer.  That's fine but don't lie and take personal shots at me.

I didn't lie. Lol. You asked me a question I can't answer. So you want me to answer something I don't know? Way to start a civil discussion!

JT39

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 04:37:10 PMTake the names Lawrence and Daniel Jones out of the picture which I understand might be difficult for you.

And this isn't a personal attack?

Time for me to leave this thread. The civil discussion ended about 25 posts ago.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:19:10 PMI didn't lie. Lol. You asked me a question I can't answer. So you want me to answer something I don't know? Way to start a civil discussion!

That's not what you said with this response.

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:14:20 PMI answered it twice. You just didn't like my answer. That's a you problem.

Can't have a civil discussion without honesty.

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 05:21:00 PMAnd this isn't a personal attack?

Time for me to leave this thread. The civil discussion ended about 25 posts ago.

Might want to go back and look at the post I was responding to of yours that started with the attacks.

Trench

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 02:01:52 PMSo PFF is biased and you aren't?

Nope. I'm not biased.

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 04:25:20 PMJess,

Daniel Jones has never played behind a good line.  So how do you know how he would play behind a good line?
Rich he is who he is at this point. This isn't a Qb a few games into his 2nd year, we are in year 5 and no matter who is on that line Jones just doesn't perform.

So you are perfectly comfortable rolling with Jones next year? Hypothetical we completely fix the Oline this offseason and have the weapons, you are comfortable riding with Jones the next 3 years even if we have a top 5 pick this offseason?

Bigmoose

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 04:25:20 PMJess,

Daniel Jones has never played behind a good line.  So how do you know how he would play behind a good line?

Rich,  I know this is a discussion site, and you, JT39 and a few others keep trying but;

In the same vein with your point, I recently said: 

"When you can tell me he (DJ) has had an even average surrounding cast for any sustained period of time, and played poorly, then I am ready to discuss his questionable merits as an NFL qb."

And this: "When the Giants are able to show an offensive line that can adequately, much less show superior blocking skills to protect him in passing plays, you cannot objectively evaluate his capacity to be a better than average, or top level qb."

I guess against Miami, our OL did an turn-about and was adequate - NOT.  Six sacks and 28 in 5 games, and that's not even getting into pressures.

The ever critical Jones group continues.  Good luck with your ongoing attempts to reason with them.  When I see more objective analysis, I may re-enter the fray regarding DJ (if he survives to attain better qb working conditions).

JT39

Quote from: Bigmoose on October 09, 2023, 06:02:34 PMRich,  I know this is a discussion site, and you, JT39 and a few others keep trying but;

In the same vein with your point, I recently said: 

"When you can tell me he (DJ) has had an even average surrounding cast for any sustained period of time, and played poorly, then I am ready to discuss his questionable merits as an NFL qb."

And this: "When the Giants are able to show an offensive line that can adequately, much less show superior blocking skills to protect him in passing plays, you cannot objectively evaluate his capacity to be a better than average, or top level qb."

I guess against Miami, our OL did a turn-about and was adequate - NOT.  Six sacks and 28 in 5 games, and that's not even getting into hits.

The ever critical Jones group continues.  Good luck with your ongoing attempts to reason with them.  When I see more objective analysis, I may re-enter the fray regarding DJ (if he survives to attain better qb working conditions).

I think Mighty says it better than me. If we have an opportunity to upgrade from Jones - you do it. But it's hard to evaluate anyone when you are constantly pressured, hit, and sacked. I just posted a stat that we are in pace to be pressured more than 100 times than anyone last year.

Those not placing the majority of the blame on the OL can't answer why we can't run either. 21 carries for 46 yards from our RBs last week.

We can say we brought in more weapons but we didn't. Waller had chances to make a few plays and failed. Slayton had a chance to make a sideline go route but didn't give him enough room on the sidelines to catch the ball.

It's never ending. The talent on the team is awful whether you include the QB or not.

Rambo89

Quote from: JT39 on October 09, 2023, 06:07:54 PMI think Mighty says it better than me. If we have an opportunity to upgrade from Jones - you do it. But it's hard to evaluate anyone when you are constantly pressured, hit, and sacked. I just posted a stat that we are in pace to be pressured more than 100 times than anyone last year.

Those not placing the majority of the blame on the OL can't answer why we can't run either. 21 carries for 46 yards from our RBs last week.

We can say we brought in more weapons but we didn't. Waller had chances to make a few plays and failed. Slayton had a chance to make a sideline go route but didn't give him enough room on the sidelines to catch the ball.

It's never ending. The talent on the team is awful whether you include the QB or not.

But why upgrade from a QB that is so great in Daniel Jones and it's just his supporting cast that isn't good?  If you are of that belief then I don't know why you wouldn't do that.  I mean if it's all on the offensive line and weapons why not just spend the Top 10 pick on a WR or another linemen?