News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants May Not Be Ready to Move On From DJ

Started by Ed Vette, November 13, 2023, 09:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 08:50:12 AMOne thing I noticed was how Tyrod was looking a lot like DJ during his third game before he was hurt.  The QB environment the Giants have created this year simply is not conducive to success. 
If the roles were reversed (Tyrod was the #6 pick and Jones was the veteran backup) I don't think Tyrod would have gotten a new contract from the Giants.

I look forward to the line playing better in both run and pass blocking. That's when our fortunes will change.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

EDjohnst1981

I'm fed up of reading the excuses around DJ. Yes, he didn't have Barkley for 3 games this year but for 3 games he did and he skippered a functional offense for half a game - what about the other 2.5?

What is he going to do if/when Barkley walks next year? Who are we looking to pin it on that he hasn't had success?

The excuses need to stop, this is not a small window that he's been evaluated in. It's over sixty games. The success of last year appears that it was down to a slimed down playbook, limit turnovers and let Barkley run. That worked for the first half of the season but you don't need an eighty million dollar quarterback for that.

Jones is a great guy, I'm happy he is rich, I wish it worked out here but it hasn't. The lease he gets is unfathomable, especially when 80% of this board is judging Neal on fewer than 25 games into his career.

Now, if this story is running to create the impression that the Giants aren't set on taking a QB in the draft - therefore creating some smoke and mirrors to our approach, that's fine.

But if the story is true and they are thinking of recycling Jones for further evaluation, I would be shocked - more shocked than I was when they actually re-signed him.

MightyGiants

I think one of the issues people have with this article is there seems to be an underlying assumption that the Giants will be drafting in the top 3, one of the elite QB prospects will fall into their laps and the Giants will simply pass on one of these elite prospects in favor of continuing with Daniel Jones.

What if the Giants win a few games.   There are teams on the schedule that are not unbeatable, especially if the Giants bring back Tyrod.

The Eagles (if they are resting players on January 7
The Pats (who have as bad a record as the Giants)
The Rams (especially if Staford is out)
The Saints
Even the Commanders and Packers are not, "no way we win game"

If the Giants get pushed out of the top 5 and are near the 10th pick, acquiring a new QB looks entirely different.   For the past five years, we have seen DJ being compared by fans (and some in the media) to the elite QBs in the league.  So, just getting a franchise-caliber QB is not going to satisfy the elite or bust crowd.   While its history has shown it's not impossible to get your elite QB later in the draft, the deeper one goes into round one, the more of a challenge drafting that elite QB gets.

Plus, as we have witnessed this season, the Giants' talent level is lacking (not just at QB).  If the Giants are forced to give up a "King's ransom" to be in a position to acquire a QB prospect that one believes (it's never certain) is elite, the team will be hamstrung in terms of acquiring the needed talent. 

For everyone pointing to the Texans and Stroud, as the model drafts a QB and the whole team is turned around, it's worth noting the Texans gave up nothing but one of their picks to acquire Stroud, and they also added WR Tank Dell in the draft who is lighting up the league and Anderson Jr an edge defender who is also playing very well.  The Texans clearly got a boost with their new head coach DeMeco Ryans.

So I completely understand why the Giants management is not in agreement with much of the fan base that assumes that drafting a new franchise QB is fait accompli.  It's still more than likely to happen, and as the article says, the Giants are working with the assumption that there is a strong possibility that it will happen, but a lot of games still have to be played, and it would be ill-advised for the Giants to shut any doors at this point in time.

That said, I would be surprised if the Giants don't draft a QB in round one (maybe round two) in this upcoming draft.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on November 14, 2023, 08:41:40 AMI know I'm picking nits but I don't agree with him that it was an "unfair" evaluation. The circumstances were what they were. He was evaluated on how he performed in those given circumstances.

Now, I would have no issue if he said that it was a "less than ideal" evaluation. That has more merit. But I would also counter that the majority of the conditions that NFL QBs face are less than ideal. Bottom line for me is that you play the hand you're dealt. Some players can thrive in less than ideal conditions. Some get swallowed up by them.

I don't understand the notion that we only have 6 starts to evaluate DJ. There's now 5 (actually 8) years of data to effectively judge DJ. Said data, beyond question, demonstrates DJ is a well below average NFL passer. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 14, 2023, 09:28:53 AMI don't understand the notion that we only have 6 starts to evaluate DJ. There's now 5 (actually 8) years of data to effectively judge DJ. Said data, beyond question, demonstrates DJ is a well below average NFL passer.

The data from last season was not "well below average"
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 09:30:29 AMThe data from last season was not "well below average"

If you're going to quote someone, do so accurately.  Where did the Giants finish is pass production last year?   

I explicitly said: NFL passer. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on November 14, 2023, 09:34:03 AMIf you're going to quote someone, do so accurately.  Where did the Giants finish is pass production last year?   

I will also add that. DJ's rookie season was far from "well below average."
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

SlotCorner

What this article ignores is that drafting a QB at 1 or 2 doesn't necessarily mean we are done with DJ. The Niners just traded Trey Lance (for next to nothing) so its not unprecedented. What do you think we'd get for a Drake Maye or Caleb Williams if DJ somehow plays better and looks to be the future? Not nothing, I would think.

The issue is timing. There is no chance to evaluate DJ before the draft, and his performance in Daboll's system is hit and miss, at best. Remember, he did great against a terrible Vikings defense in the playoffs, but otherwise dropped off the end of last year. You have to take a chance that there is a better QB out there. This year has been a disaster, and if we have the right administration in place, there may not be another opportunity to draft this high any time soon.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 09:28:31 AMI think one of the issues people have with this article is there seems to be an underlying assumption that the Giants will be drafting in the top 3, one of the elite QB prospects will fall into their laps and the Giants will simply pass on one of these elite prospects in favor of continuing with Daniel Jones.
Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 09:28:31 AMI think one of the issues people have with this article is there seems to be an underlying assumption that the Giants will be drafting in the top 3, one of the elite QB prospects will fall into their laps and the Giants will simply pass on one of these elite prospects in favor of continuing with Daniel Jones.

What if the Giants win a few games.   There are teams on the schedule that are not unbeatable, especially if the Giants bring back Tyrod.

I can speak for anyone else but I am currently making these statements/judgements/call them whatever you want on where they are drafting right now.

You're correct, they can win some meaningless games and push their stock lower but I have seen posts on this board (granted not from you, Rich) that intimated we could have gone 2-2 over the Jets, Raiders, Cows, Commanders stretch.

It's pointless projecting where they are going to be come draft season. My assertions are based on where we are now.

If we have to stop speculating on where they are going to draft, this board is going to be very quiet for a few months.

MightyGiants

Quote from: EDjohnst1981 on November 14, 2023, 09:53:34 AMI can speak for anyone else but I am currently making these statements/judgements/call them whatever you want on where they are drafting right now.

You're correct, they can win some meaningless games and push their stock lower but I have seen posts on this board (granted not from you, Rich) that intimated we could have gone 2-2 over the Jets, Raiders, Cows, Commanders stretch.

It's pointless projecting where they are going to be come draft season. My assertions are based on where we are now.

If we have to stop speculating on where they are going to draft, this board is going to be very quiet for a few months.

Ed,

I appreciate you clearing that up.  I would agree, if the Giants draft 2nd overall and pass on one of the elite prospects (assuming I believe they are elite after studying them), I would share your frustration.

While Ralph V. might have created buzz with is "The Giants may not be ready to move on from DJ" headline.  The reality is management has to be prepared for all possibilities, and in essence, that was what Ralph's source within the Giants was saying.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: MightyGiants on November 14, 2023, 10:00:42 AMEd,

I appreciate you clearing that up.  I would agree, if the Giants draft 2nd overall and pass on one of the elite prospects (assuming I believe they are elite after studying them), I would share your frustration.

While Ralph V. might have created with is "The Giants may not be ready to move on from DJ" headline.  The reality is management has to be prepared for all possibilities, and in essence, that was what Ralph's source within the Giants was saying.

Absolutely, and if he were reporting that the Giants were 'all-in on QB X', that would be dreadful from a management point of view. You have to keep the other teams guessing, even if it the answer appears obvious.

Bob In PA

I can't stand Ralph. I'm writing because I AGREE with his speculation/argument/thesis on Jones.

The goal IMO should be to take the best player available with Pick 2.

I said the same thing when they drafted Barkley (still one of the Top 20 players in the NFL).

To me, right now, the best player available is Harrison, Jr., offense, NOT one of the QB's.

That could change, but that's the situation as I see it today, and I believe the Giants agree.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Gmo11

It is unfathomable to me that the Giants draft in the top 3 and not take a QB.  Even Top 5 for that matter.  Because it may require a trade up a couple of spots but if that's what it takes they should do it. 

If they somehow stumble into a couple of wins that drop them into the 7-10 range of the draft then fine, the cost of moving up that far could be considered too great, but I can't believe they're going to win a single game Devito starts and for that reason they should start him every game the rest of the way.

T200

Quote from: Bob In PA on November 14, 2023, 10:08:07 AMI can't stand Ralph. I'm writing because I AGREE with his speculation/argument/thesis on Jones.

The goal IMO should be to take the best player available with Pick 2.

I said the same thing when they drafted Barkley (still one of the Top 20 players in the NFL).

To me, right now, the best player available is Harrison, Jr., offense, NOT one of the QB's.

That could change, but that's the situation as I see it today, and I believe the Giants agree.

Bob
Bob,

You've been beating the Harrison Jr. drum for some time now. Would you be OK with taking him with the first pick knowing our QB room is a mess? Keep in mind that we've been clamoring for Jones to get the ball to Hyatt. How would it be with two WR threats that will rarely catch a pass given what we've seen from our QBs this year?
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Doc16LT56

Quote from: kingm56 on November 14, 2023, 09:28:53 AMI don't understand the notion that we only have 6 starts to evaluate DJ. There's now 5 (actually 8) years of data to effectively judge DJ. Said data, beyond question, demonstrates DJ is a well below average NFL passer.

Need to give DJ 7 or 8 more years so he can be properly evaluated.<sarcasm>

This is why they call it QB hell. It's like a nightmare you can't wake up from. We just keep repeating the same debates about the QB position year after year while the organization performs like the Jets.