News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is it a good thing that Darius Slayton might once again by the receiving leader?

Started by MightyGiants, December 21, 2023, 12:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

He has certainly provided a good return on investment.  Overall I think it may say more about what has been an anemic passing attack over that last 5 years than anything else.  And I don't mean to take anything away from Slayton.  He has more than delivered on a 5th round selection.

TONKA56

I like Slayton, but after so much was made out of him fighting his way back into a starting role last year I guess I expected a bit more from him this season.

DaveBrown74

Slayton is a respectable player but he's no star, and he never will be. He is more than worthy of an NFL roster spot and a reasonable amount of targets, but I don't regard him as much more than a WR3 on any sort of serious passing offense.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 01:16:05 PMSlayton is a respectable player but he's no star, and he never will be. He is more than worthy of an NFL roster spot and a reasonable amount of targets, but I don't regard him as much more than a WR3 on any sort of serious passing offense.

He is avg 14 yds per reception.  No Homer Jones but very very good.  He is a pro's pro. We dont have a lot of those.  Hes also excellent at getting yardage and out of bounds in the 2 minute drill
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on December 21, 2023, 02:18:48 PMHe is avg 14 yds per reception.  No Homer Jones but very very good.  He is a pro's pro. We dont have a lot of those.  Hes also excellent at getting yardage and out of bounds in the 2 minute drill

This is the NFL. He is a nice player but not a standout at this level. As I said in my post he would be on any team's roster and would get targets in any offense. He's solid. But he is not a star, nor is he close. He's not even the most talented receiver on our team, and we have one of the worst passing offenses in the league (regardless of which QB we have out there).

Doc16LT56

I think you run into trouble when you pay guys like Slayton what they're paying him. He would be a nice player to have on the roster if he was earning close to minimum salary.

It reminds me of when they paid all that money to the inconsistent and often injured Sterling Shepard and the nearly washed up Golden Tate. You can't fall into the trap of overpaying skill position players who aren't difference makers.

Ed Vette

You guys are nuts. If he had a top ten QB with a competent Offensive Line, Slayton would have 1500 yards a season the past few years. Old memories of his earlier dropsies. He's fast, runs clean routes and has hauled in some challenging passes.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

This just shows how pathetic our receiving "talent" has been around Slayton. He's Chris Calloway. The best receiver among the leagues worst WR corp year after year.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

kartanoman

Didn't Jimmy Robinson lead the Giants in receiving for a couple of years in a row also? OK, that was 1977-78 and there was no salary cap back then; however, Johnny Perkins and Dwight Scales weren't getting it done and were being paid the big bucks back then.

So, what did the Giants do? They drafted a QB in the first round and gave him a real WR the following year. The QB was Simms and the WR was Gray. Perkins took a back seat and Robinson did as well. Oh yeah, I forgot there was a house cleaning as a result of a certain "Fumble" which needs no recollection. With one of those, you can clean house and start fresh.

Slayton should be able to stick around if the price is right (NOTE: not meaning to quote the late Johnny Olson on the game show with the host, the late Bob Barker and, for some of us old enough to remember, Tom Kennedy and Dennis James).

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on December 21, 2023, 04:56:12 PMThis just shows how pathetic our receiving "talent" has been around Slayton. He's Chris Calloway. The best receiver among the leagues worst WR corp year after year.
I think Calloway is closer to Sterling Shepard without the injuries. Slayton isn't close to either of them. Those guys are legitimate starters on a bad offense. Slayton is just a role player on a bad offense.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Ed Vette on December 21, 2023, 04:42:25 PMYou guys are nuts. If he had a top ten QB with a competent Offensive Line, Slayton would have 1500 yards a season the past few years. Old memories of his earlier dropsies. He's fast, runs clean routes and has hauled in some challenging passes.

Tyreek Hill is in his 8th year in the league and has only had 1500 receiving yards twice. He never once did it with Mahomes (the best QB in the league) and Andy Reid (the best playcaller in the league). You're saying Slayton would have done it the last three years with any top 10 QB and good O line.

If you consistently get 1500 receiving yards a year in this league year after year you are an elite superstar who is going to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, period, no questions asked. Hell, Megatron only did it twice. Randy Moss only did it once. You're saying Slayton, who is in his fifth year, would have done it "a few times" already on a better team when Tyreek Hill couldn't do it once with Mahomes, Reid, and a top O line.

Really? And you're calling us "nuts" for saying he's a solid player?

Ed Vette

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 05:39:49 PMTyreek Hill is in his 8th year in the league and has only had 1500 receiving yards twice. He never once did it with Mahomes (the best QB in the league) and Andy Reid (the best playcaller in the league). You're saying Slayton would have done it the last three year with any top 10 QB and good O line.

If you consistently get 1500 receiving yards a year in this league year after year you are an elite superstar who is going to the Hall of Fame on the first ballot, period, no questions asked. Hell, Megatron only did it twice. Randy Moss only did it once. You're saying Slayton, who is in his fifth year, would have done it "a few times" already on a better team when Tyreek Hill couldn't do it once with Mahomes, Reid, and a top O line.

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on December 21, 2023, 05:39:49 PMTyreek Hill is in his 8th year in the league and has only had 1500 receiving yards twice. He never once did it with Mahomes (the best QB in the league) and Andy Reid (the best playcaller in the league). You're saying Slayton would have done it the last three year with any top 10 QB and good O line.

As the only receiving threat among a group of injured and a bunch of average receivers? 2022, Golladay? Richie James and Hodgins. 2021, Golladay, Toney and Engram. 2020, Shep, Engram and Tate.

Slayton has been the best Receiver on this team the last three seasons. With a crap Oline and a broken QB. What if Jones lived up to his contract and that Oline was fixed, would Jones have over 4000 yards passing? Easily. This year two Rookies finding their way, Waller injured and Shepard not even being utilized. Where would those yards go to?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Doc16LT56

Lol, I thought he was just being sarcastic. Apparently not. I remember when they traded Toney to KC, there were more than a few people who thought he would be a beast with Mahomes. A lot of these guys are what they are. Slayton has a slightly higher chance of 1,500 yards in a season than me and you.

DaveBrown74

Ed every single 1500 yard receiver over the last 20 years on the list you provided is a Hall of Famer except for Josh Gordon, who was a Hall of Fame caliber talent whose career was ruined by substance abuse at a young age.

Do you think Slayton is a HOF caliber talent? If so we can respectfully agree to disagree. I think he is a good player, and I agree with your statement that he has been the best (or at least most productive) Giants receiver of the last three seasons. But consistently 1500 receiving yards per season with a better QB and O line? That would make him first ballot HOF material. I can't and won't get on board with that. Yes, he's good. But he's not all time. Even in a much better situation.