News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

DJ's top 50 1.0

Started by MightyGiants, January 30, 2024, 05:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 30, 2024, 05:05:17 PMAlways a good read

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

Surprise, surprise...some analyst actually has Edgerrin Cooper in the first round...top 20 even. To me, he's an ideal replacement to Ojulari...and is a difference maker from the LB position...whilst racking up sacks. Most analysts have him going late 2nd, early 3rd. Jeremiah is the first one I've seen that ranks him much higher than the consensus talking heads. He's usually ranked between 45-60. Jeremiah is ahead of the curve on this one. And glad to see he includes Malachi Corely...another first amongst analysts

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Rank

Caleb Williams
USC · QB · Junior
Williams has average height and a thick/muscular build. He is a natural thrower and delivers the ball with accuracy/velocity from a variety of platforms and arm angles. He can power the ball into tight windows while stationary or on the move. He can also finesse the ball when needed. He has lightning-quick hands in the RPO game. He's a dynamic runner and makes defenders look silly in space. He can run by you, through you or make you miss. He did fall into some bad habits at USC during the 2023 season. He hunts big plays and always looks to exhaust plays with his legs instead of taking checkdowns. Also, he can get too loose with the ball when creating, swinging it wildly, which leads to fumbles. His creativity makes him special, but he will need to play more on schedule at the next level. Overall, Williams has areas in which he needs to improve, but he has franchise-altering upside. 

Rank

Drake Maye
North Carolina · QB · Sophomore (RS)
Maye has prototypical size, athleticism and arm strength. He has quick feet and quick hands, but his delivery can get long at times. He's a gifted thrower who drives the ball without much foot space in the pocket (including with defenders hanging on him). He can take pace off the ball on swings and shallow crossers. He has a nice touch on bucket throws down the field. He is athletic to escape and create with his legs and he's tough to tackle in space. He is ultra-competitive as a runner, something he'll need to dial back a bit at the next level. His pass protection wasn't good last season at North Carolina and there weren't always answers in the route to bail him out, which led to some poor decisions and carelessness with the ball. Overall, Maye has some things to clean up, but he has every ingredient to be a top-tier starter at the game's most important position.

Rank
Bo Nix

Oregon · QB · Senior
Nix is an experienced quarterback (61 starts at Oregon and Auburn) with outstanding accuracy and toughness. He has average height and a thick/sturdy frame. He is at his best in the quick-rhythm passing game. He has quick feet in his setup, scans the field with urgency and accurately delivers the ball. He has a compact release and generates velocity to drive the ball to all three levels. He shows touch to layer the ball over linebackers and under safeties. He is accurate on designed rollouts. He does need to improve habits under duress, though, as he occasionally fails to feel back-side run-throughs and also falls off some throws when faced with interior pressure. He's an urgent athlete and is effective as a runner, especially on zone reads. His coaches rave about his leadership and toughness. Overall, Nix's combination of competitiveness, intelligence and experience reminds me of Jalen Hurts coming out of college.

ank

J.J. McCarthy
Michigan · QB · Junior
McCarthy is a lean, athletic quarterback with a live/loose arm. He is very consistent because of his ability to always throw from a firm base, with his feet and eyes connected. He is selectively aggressive as a passer. He has the combination of velocity and accuracy to fit balls into tight windows, but he is also very comfortable taking checkdowns and piling up completions. He is very efficient. He shows the touch to take speed off the ball underneath and provide optimal run-after-catch ball location. The only throws that gave him some trouble were over-the-top outside shots, as he let too many of those leak and end up out of bounds. He is a very explosive straight-line runner. Overall, other quarterbacks in this class have more volume in the passing game, but it's hard to argue with McCarthy's results. I see some similarities to Alex Smith coming out of college.

Rank

Michael Penix Jr.
Washington · QB · Senior
Penix has exceptional arm strength and toughness. He has a unique, whippy, three-quarters delivery from the left side and the ball explodes out of his hand. He can hang on his back foot and effortlessly drive the ball 55 yards. He excels driving throws outside and tosses a beautiful, lofting deep ball. He does have issues getting throws up and down in the middle of the field. His ball can stay flat. He is quick to process and consistently gets to No. 3 in the route progression. He flashed the ability to avoid, escape and create against Texas in the College Football Playoff. He's been through a litany of injuries during his career, but he managed to overcome them and led Washington to the national title game. Overall, durability is a legitimate concern, but I believe in his combination of vision, accuracy and arm strength.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

uconnjack8

I didnt count but QB, WR, DT and OT seem to dominate this top 50.  CB isnt far behind. 

President Rick

these draftniks always seem to put a premium on QB and WR.  After all they get the most coverage and hype most of the time all season long.  But you need 11 on O, 11 on D and ST's and backups, and they all can't be qb's and wr;s.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 30, 2024, 05:05:17 PMAlways a good read

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2024-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-1-0

Rich: Don't have time but suggest a "poll" post listing Jeremiah's top ten and asking members which player would help the Giants the most, as of today (i.e., prior to free-agency). Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

ViewFromSection129

This doesn't change my view that we need to go QB or WR at pick 6.  It is where the value is.  I don't want to take an OT and try to switch him to RT (if they wanted to move Neal inside).  I think six is a bit too high for Bowers and not nearly our biggest problem.  If one of the QBs or Harrison, Odunze, or Nabers were the pick, I would be more than happy with that.

Philosophers

To me this seems like a year that real Pro Bowl players will get drafted.  Lots of talent.  Hate to see us draft an eventual average QB while missing on some of these guys.

Doc16LT56

Quote from: President Rick on January 31, 2024, 08:06:10 AMthese draftniks always seem to put a premium on QB and WR.  After all they get the most coverage and hype most of the time all season long.  But you need 11 on O, 11 on D and ST's and backups, and they all can't be qb's and wr;s.
The rules have evolved to give the advantage to the QB and WRs. If you can find an elite one it tilts the field in your advantage.

Philosophers

This draft is filled with 2nd round studs.  We can get an X in round 2.

This draft plays to our weaknesses of QB, WR and OT (even just a swing tackle or someone to challenge Neal).

londonblue

Just for fun I went back and compared 2023 DJ 1.0 with 5.0 and the draft. I wouldn't get too depressed/excited if someone you really want at 6 is currently eg 3 or 11 and at 39 is 22 or 49 because it will change. A lot.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Philosophers

Quote from: londonblue on February 05, 2024, 04:39:32 AMJust for fun I went back and compared 2023 DJ 1.0 with 5.0 and the draft. I wouldn't get too depressed/excited if someone you really want at 6 is currently eg 3 or 11 and at 39 is 22 or 49 because it will change. A lot.

Exactly.  Folks hung up now thinking we won't get a QB at 6 are way too premature.  As off-season pre-draft unfolds, prospects will rocket up or down or marginally go up or down everywhere on the draft board.  Also keep in mind that in the top 7, there are many years in which a surprise pick is drafted who nobody thought would go earlier.  Stay tuned.