News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

This is just pathetic

Started by ozzie, February 02, 2024, 01:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

Not sure what the threshold is for "good (great) picks", in which to evaluate Schoen is, but let's look at it from non-biased eyes (actually, I'm biased as hell, but trying to be realistic)

For one thing, it is expected by fans and analysts alike, that any player picked in the first and second rounds should be a starter by year two. A third rounder should be a starter at some point in the future. Day three picks are backups and/or projects, and on occasion, get lucky with a few surprises

So let's look at Schoen's picks thus far:

2022 DRAFT
[/u]
Rd 1 (5): ER Kayvon Thibodeaux [starter] Hit
RD 1 (7): OT Evan Neal [starter] Yet to be determined
RD 2 (43): WR Wan' Dale Robinson [missed 1st year w/injuries...starter 2nd year] Hit
RD 3 (67): OG Joshua Ezeudu Unsure
RD 3 (81): CB Cor'Dale Flott Hit
RD 4 (112): TE Daniel Bellinger Hit
RD 4 (114): S Dane Belton Unsure
RD 5 (146): LB Micah McFadden Hit
RD 5 (147): DT D.J. Davidson Unsure
RD 5 (173): OG Marcus McKethan Unsure
RD 6 (182): LB Darrian Beavers Unsure

Assessment: The Cowboys who routinely get raves for their draft savvy had Thibodeaux and Neal as their no.1 and no.2 highest ranked players. Both players started slow, but Thibodeaux started to come on strong towards the end of year 1 and continued to look good in year 2. I would challenge anyone on this board to tell Carl Banks to his face that Thibodeaux is anything less than good. Neal on the other hand has shown he is struggling when healthy, but he's been injured so much it's hard to really know what we have until he is fully healthy and under the tutelage of a legitimate OL Coach (both are starters and will continue to be starters when healthy)

A healthy Wan' Dale Robinson appears to be a winner and a starter for a long time to come. Joshua Ezeudu however, is hard to evaluate as he has spent so much time on the IR. Bellinger was a great pick and a starter. McFadden appears to be a solid pick and starter. The rest are still up in the air...too early to evaluate

2023 DRAFT
[/u]

RD 1 (24) CB Deonte Banks Hit
RD 2 (57) OC John Michael Schmitz Hit
RD 3 (73) WR Jalin Hyatt Hit
RD 5 (172) RB Eric Gray Unsure
RD 6 (209) CB Tre Hawkins III Hit
RD 7 (243) DT Jordan Riley Unsure
RD 7 (254) S Gervarrious Owens Unsure

Assessment: Banks was a homerun and will be a star CB for years to come. John Michael Schmitz is taking his rookie lumps, but will be a star Center for years to come and will anchor the inside of the O-Line. Hyatt was a great pick, but taking his rookie lumps. He will emerge as the possible No.1 WR we've been waiting for. Gray is not a starter yet, but didn't get to see a lot of him as Barkley's eventual replacement as the No.1 RB. He failed as a punt returner. Tre Hawkins appeared to be the steal of the draft until other teams figured out how to beat him. But he has the tools to become a starting CB. Some have raved about Riley, but he hasn't gotten a lot of field time. It's yet to be determined whether or not he becomes a regular starter. Owens has potential, but looking more like a decent backup than a starter

BOTTOM LINE: Far too early to give a fair assessment of Schoen's drafts. The team suffered an inordinate number of injuries to key players. It appears to me that we got 4 starters out of each of his first two drafts with some solid backups, some who could become starters. To me, that is successful drafting

The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 03, 2024, 03:35:18 PMLooking forward to hearing dissenting opinions on this, which I assume will be numerous.

IMO, in legal terms or not NFL is a monopoly the draft may not be as free and unfettered as it appears.

Especially for QB's but also for star players at other positions, and especially in the 1st round, there are occasional behind-the-curtain deals in which (for example) an owner might agree with another to refrain from drafting a certain player so he can fall to another team (usually to put that player either closer to his home town or to the college crowd for which he performed).

It's not against the rules. Money talks, and IMO spreading star players (especially QBs) around as evenly as possible among all 32 teams is IMO simply one manifestation of Pete Rozell's goal of attaining parity.

In every draft there are inexplicable picks, especially in the 1st round. I would examine every one of them through the "lens" of the point I'm making here. Anyone disagree?

Bob

Bob,

I think it's worth noting how the NFL views revenue.

QuoteThe NFL divides its sources of income into local and national categories. The league negotiates national merchandise, licensing, and TV contracts, which make up most of the national revenue. The 32 teams receive equal shares of this money, regardless of individual team performance.

The teams generate local income through concession sales, ticket sales, and corporate sponsors.

So there is a reason for teams to fully compete against one another as successful teams will generate more income from concessions, ticket sales, and corporate sponsors, especially at the end of the season and will generate even more if they have home playoff games.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 04, 2024, 10:15:53 AMBob,

I think it's worth noting how the NFL views revenue.

So there is a reason for teams to fully compete against one another as successful teams will generate more income from concessions, ticket sales, and corporate sponsors, especially at the end of the season and will generate even more if they have home playoff games.

Rich: All correct, IMO. But that doesn't necessarily negate what I'm saying.

For an extreme example which IMO illustrates my point, if Mahomes and Josh Allen played on the same team, the NFL is "losing revenue on jersey sales compared to having them on separate teams.

To maximize revenues (which, as you note, is "shared" according to some formula I don't know) is the best thing for the owners (note: I did not say NFL or fans). Theoretically, the most money on jerseys is made by ensuring (to the greatest extent possible) that the talent (and therefore the T-shirt sales) are as evenly spread among the teams as possible (with one footnote being to adjust the distribution of star players to account for the number of fans per team who spend money on jerseys). 

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!