News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jeremiah's top 50: 2024 NFL Draft prospect rankings 2.0

Started by MightyGiants, February 26, 2024, 11:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

OK, here's my follow-up to Jeremiah 2.0...  YOU are the GM. 

Dan's top six players are QB Williams, WR Harrison, WR Odunze, WR Nabors, QB Maye and QB Daniels.

At least one will be there at Pick Six.  Are there any you wouldn't want for the Giants?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 26, 2024, 11:51:16 AMOK, here's my follow-up to Jeremiah 2.0...  YOU are the GM. 

Dan's top six players are QB Williams, WR Harrison, WR Odunze, WR Nabors, QB Maye and QB Daniels.

At least one will be there at Pick Six.  Are there any you wouldn't want for the Giants?

Bob

There isn't one in the bunch that I would object to drafting.   This reminds me of Albert Breer's article

QuoteLast year, just before the draft, a general manager told me he thought the top five picks in 2024 would've been, at that point, the top five picks in '23.

In other words, what last year's group lacked in top-end talent would be made up for this year.

That, by the way, was before Jayden Daniels busted out, before teams knew that Marvin Harrison Jr. wouldn't be the only elite receiver in the 2024 class, and before the enormous depth at the tackle position started to crystallize in the fall. Still, all of what that GM said was backed up as I made a few more calls around to see if there was a consensus on it.

"The top 10 is loaded," said another GM.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/26/draft-preview-combine-cheat-sheet-questions
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Ok, I'll follow up the follow-up, since Top Ten was mentioned.

Seven through ten are TE Bowers, CB Arnold, OT Alt and OT Fuaga.

Any there who wouldn't imrpove the Giants?

Bob

PS. I'll get to my point soon. lol

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 26, 2024, 12:08:25 PMOk, I'll follow up the follow-up, since Top Ten was mentioned.

Seven through ten are TE Bowers, CB Arnold, OT Alt and OT Fuaga.

Any there who wouldn't imrpove the Giants?

Bob

PS. I'll get to my point soon. lol

Any player in the top 10 would help the Giants...pretty much a given. BUT...is there one who will "transform" the Giants into a routine playoff team? Not sure about that. A QB will sit behind Jones for at least a year, maybe more if DJ has a good year. A top flight WR will only help if the line can give the QB enough time for the play call to unfold. Biggest bang for our buck (IMHO), is a stud guard like Jackson Powers-Johnson who manhandles opponents like a typical NFL player throwing high school players out of the way. But it's far too rich to burn the overall 6th pick on a guard

As for me, I am all-in on trading down...even further than 10, as long as we pick up significant draft capital. There are players that are going to give the Giants a huge boost upwards towards being a quality team that will be drafted after the 10th spot, and another 2nd and maybe a 3rd will go a long way towards plugging holes with quality candidates...and every player in the draft is nothing more than a "candidate" until proven otherwise
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 26, 2024, 12:35:51 PMAny player in the top 10 would help the Giants...pretty much a given. BUT...is there one who will "transform" the Giants into a routine playoff team? Not sure about that. A QB will sit behind Jones for at least a year, maybe more if DJ has a good year. A top flight WR will only help if the line can give the QB enough time for the play call to unfold. Biggest bang for our buck (IMHO), is a stud guard like Jackson Powers-Johnson who manhandles opponents like a typical NFL player throwing high school players out of the way. But it's far too rich to burn the overall 6th pick on a guard

As for me, I am all-in on trading down...even further than 10, as long as we pick up significant draft capital. There are players that are going to give the Giants a huge boost upwards towards being a quality team that will be drafted after the 10th spot, and another 2nd and maybe a 3rd will go a long way towards plugging holes with quality candidates...and every player in the draft is nothing more than a "candidate" until proven otherwise

Jolly: Nice post.

I will predict with confidence that (barring injury) there are three or four ten-year players in the top ten.

I just so happen to believe none of them are QB's.

Bob

PS. My point: it's likely the Giants will receive multiple offers to trade down, and if they don't move down more than five or six spots, any 2nd- or 3rd-round picks received for this year are like free money and the spot to which they move will (more likely than not) be a player they might have considered if they stayed put.

ViewFromSection129

I think his board sets up perfectly for us.  My personal preference is one of the WRs, as I am honestly not sure what to make of the QBs and how good they are.  But in the end, one of those 6 should be the pick.  I like Bowers, but I think six is too high and not our biggest issue.  And I don't want to draft an OT and move to RT.  We tried that already.  We can get a RT later in the draft, as the OT depth I think is pretty good for the first three rounds or so.

Jolly Blue Giant

Getting back to Jeremiah's top 50

He's quite different from majority opinion among talking heads and living room pundits. But I agree with some of his radically different rankings, like:

RG/RT Taliese Fuaga in the top 10 (basically tied with Joe Alt), ahead of Olumuyiwa Fashanu and J.C. Latham (I agree completely FWIW)
LB Edgerren Cooper at 21 (many have him ranked as 3rd round) Dittos with Payton Wilson in the top 50
WR Malachi Corley in the top 50, ahead of many other WRs thought to be gone before pick 50. Most have Malachi ranked somewhere around 75 +/-. He's going to be the big surprise next season for whoever gets him...mark my word. Will make as much noise as a rookie next season as Puka Nacua did last season (two very different kinds of players, but both big surprises to those who slept on him)
OG Jackson Powers-John a first round pick in the 20's

Where I scratch my head is his lack of defensive linemen in the top 50, which baffles me a bit, but I'm usually baffled when the picks come in.

He has Byron Murphy II the first DL off the board at pick 22, ahead of Jer'Zhan Newton which he has late 1st round. And the only other DL in the top 50 is Brandon Fiske at 45 

No T'Vondre Sweat, Kris Jenkins, or Leonard Taylor ahead of Fiske  :-??

All in all, I like his overall insight on his top 50...especially the two linebackers
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

If after watching the worst offensive performance in my life with the 2023 Giants, they choose to draft defense in round 1, I will throw my computer at the TV.  QB, ROT and WR1 are our three biggest needs.  It showed up all season in 2023.  Any other position is a luxury to me when comparing that position to the three I listed.  If Joe Alt is available, take him and forget Evan Neal and move on toward a solution.  If a QB is there, take him.  You see where I am going.