News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants told Russell Wilson that Daniel Jones would remain starter

Started by shadowspinner0, March 18, 2024, 12:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Telling a player they're guaranteed to start and telling them they have the chance to win the starting job are two VERY different things.

In my mind, they told each player the latter...Lock liked what he heard, Wilson didn't.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they entertained Wilson is worrisome to me. Dabol is slipping a little more each day in my eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

MightyGiants

Quote from: andrew_nyGiants on March 22, 2024, 09:48:07 AMTelling a player they're guaranteed to start and telling them they have the chance to win the starting job are two VERY different things.

In my mind, they told each player the latter...Lock liked what he heard, Wilson didn't.

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that they entertained Wilson is worrisome to me. Dabol is slipping a little more each day in my eyes.

Andrew, I wouldn't put too much stock in the Wilson visit.  Everything I heard was that the visit was initiated by the Wilson camp rather than by the Giants.  Likely the Giants took the visit because it never hurts to have an agent owing you one.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

zephirus

Quote from: madbadger on March 19, 2024, 11:49:35 AMAs a coach you lose moral authority with your players when you anoint a guy as the starter when his play hasn't earned that level of respect. There isn't a single guy in the locker room that wants a repeat of last year.

By this standard no rookie quarterback should ever start?  I get the point you're trying to make but if I was a veteran on the Giants and I'm presented with:

- Daniel Jones is the starter
- a rookie qb will be the starter
- Drew Lock is the starter

None are terribly appealing but you can just as quickly lose that respect by ditching a guy who the previous season helped win playoff game for a fresh out of college quarterback.

babywhales

It's much better than saying the Giants are drafting a new QB if he is there at 6.

It maintains the same understanding without giving away draft strategy 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 19, 2024, 05:17:07 PMVery good point on Coughlin. Mara has been all over the place with his penchant for playing favorites and getting emotional about certain individuals based on personal feelings, family ties, recommendations from octogenarians who haven't had an NFL job in at least a decade, and other past associations instead of actual performance and accomplishments. That sort of thing can really be corrosive to the morale of a competitive organization, as you aptly articulate regarding your personal example as a manager.

I hope Mara is able to see all this and has the self-awareness to acknowledge it and try to work on it.
As the Maras went, so went Coughlin...the difference was a little guy named Reese who made Coughlin the scapegoat in a desperate attempt to capture some type of autonomy and power.

The problem was/is Maras still remain.

I'm jealous of the Redskins, they finally have a chance at a functional organization.

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

madbadger

Quote from: zephirus on March 22, 2024, 11:15:19 AMBy this standard no rookie quarterback should ever start?  I get the point you're trying to make but if I was a veteran on the Giants and I'm presented with:

- Daniel Jones is the starter
- a rookie qb will be the starter
- Drew Lock is the starter

None are terribly appealing but you can just as quickly lose that respect by ditching a guy who the previous season helped win playoff game for a fresh out of college quarterback.

A rookie quarterback needs to earn it. If the day after the draft the head coach anoints a draft pick as the day 1 starter he is going to piss off his entire locker room. Does it happen, yes. Is it harmful to a teams culture, absolutely.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: kingm56 on March 22, 2024, 08:05:37 AMHey Jeff,

To be fair, I don't believe Mara was quick to fire Tom Coughlin; the latter had 3 straight losing seasons:

7-9
6-10
6-10

Ironically, he had the exact same final 3 seasons in Jax from 2000 to 2002.   In both cases, I believe there was sufficient cause to fire Coach Coulign. Although, I would have retained him in both scenarios as it should be obvious to everyone (it's not) that coaches, even HoF coaches, need talent to be successful.  He simply ran out of talent at both places...

Also, I cannot assign 100% fault to Mara regarding the DJ situation; I believe the latter is still on the roster as a victim of circumstance, or more accurately stated, limited opportunities.  I am 100% confident the Giants would have replaced DJ in 2022, when they had two top 7 picks; however, there was no opportunities as the 2022 DRAFT was simply voided of tangible QB prospects.  It was arguably the worst year in the past two decades to posses two top 10 picks.   That same year, the Giants enjoyed a lot of luck during the first half the of the season, making the Playoffs.  As a byproduct, they earned the 24th pick and were again not in position to draft a QB. The majority of the fan base was also fooled by the 2022 season; it would have been a marketing nightmare to enter the 2023 season without a viable QB. I saw no other option than to retain DJ; I also don't view the contract as a catastrophe, thanks to the 2-year escape clause.  What does bother me is the three meaningless wins the Giants collected under Tommy D, which once again, places us outside the range of the true QB prospects.  In closing, poor luck and circumstances are more to blame than John Mara.   

Matt,

Fair enough - "quick" is probably not the best word.

Although given Mara gave Gettleman four seasons, all of which were abject failures, and he only gave Coughlin three bad seasons (if we're calling 7-9 "bad") after two Super Bowl wins, one could argue it wasn't exactly loyal.

Moreover, he seemed to go out of his way to dress up Gettleman's firing as a "retirement", waiting until the end of a truly wretched season when he have seen him fire both GMs and coaches in-season multiple times. Coughlin on the other hand was more or less pushed out and was clearly upset by the whole thing.

"Quick" is the wrong word, I agree. But I don't like the way the Coughlin firing was handled, and meanwhile I don't understand why Gettleman was afforded any more grace than people like McAdoo, Schurmur, and Joe Judge got. Hell, Jerry Reese, a two time Super Bowl winning GM, was fired in-season.

kingm56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 05:38:44 PMMatt,

Fair enough - "quick" is probably not the best word.

Although given Mara gave Gettleman four seasons, all of which were abject failures, and he only gave Coughlin three bad seasons (if we're calling 7-9 "bad") after two Super Bowl wins, one could argue it wasn't exactly loyal.

Moreover, he seemed to go out of his way to dress up Gettleman's firing as a "retirement", waiting until the end of a truly wretched season when he have seen him fire both GMs and coaches in-season multiple times. Coughlin on the other hand was more or less pushed out and was clearly upset by the whole thing.

"Quick" is the wrong word, I agree. But I don't like the way the Coughlin firing was handled, and meanwhile I don't understand why Gettleman was afforded any more grace than people like McAdoo, Schurmur, and Joe Judge got. Hell, Jerry Reese, a two time Super Bowl winning GM, was fired in-season.

Fair counterpoints, Jeff.  Well stated...