News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jones will be the Starting QB in 2024 when Healthy- Schoen

Started by Ed Vette, November 27, 2023, 12:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

"We'll take the best player available. If the best player available for our team is at a certain position, we'll take it. I mean, we won't shy away from it," Schoen said. "That's a ways away, the draft in April. We're still working through all that. We have to come up with a plan, like I said, just for the offseason right now. Tommy [DeVito] is the only one that's under contract, so we'll look at all different avenues there."

All roads, though, apparently lead back to Jones being the Giants primary quarterback in 2024.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/11/27/23977912/daniel-jones-will-be-giants-starting-qb-in-2024-when-healthy-gm-joe-schoen
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Gmo11

I'll translate:  "Jones will be the starting QB until such time as we get somebody better in here perhaps as soon as this April".

He can't say Jones is benched because thanks to back to back meaningless wins they may not be in position to take a QB at all and Jones will have to start and you don't want to neuter the guy before 2024 even starts.  So in the event they can't get a QB in the draft, Jones is gonna start simply because they have no other options.

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 27, 2023, 12:45:29 PM"We'll take the best player available. If the best player available for our team is at a certain position, we'll take it. I mean, we won't shy away from it," Schoen said. "That's a ways away, the draft in April. We're still working through all that. We have to come up with a plan, like I said, just for the offseason right now. Tommy [DeVito] is the only one that's under contract, so we'll look at all different avenues there."

All roads, though, apparently lead back to Jones being the Giants primary quarterback in 2024.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2023/11/27/23977912/daniel-jones-will-be-giants-starting-qb-in-2024-when-healthy-gm-joe-schoen

But he did say QB would have to be addressed either in free agency or the draft.  I doubt he means a developmental 5th round QB.

Ed Vette

"I've seen it, I mean, you guys all saw last season. I mean, the guy won 10 games, he won a road playoff game for the Giants," Schoen said. "I just think. we got punched in the nose early on and we dug ourselves a hole and we weren't able to get out of it. You know, we're, we're trying to right now, but still believe in Daniel."
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on November 27, 2023, 12:54:42 PMBut he did say QB would have to be addressed either in free agency or the draft.  I doubt he means a developmental 5th round QB.
Reading through the GM speak, he's looking for trade offers to trade down.

It's very possible they may sign a solid veteran backup and not draft a QB at all unless one of these top guys drops unexpectedly to the second round, and we've seen that before.

Sanders in 2025 may emerge as a target.

I truly believe that Oline is his number one priority and that's coming from DJ's adopted dad, JM.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Dgoodmantrublu

That is reading in your preferences. As we all do from snippets in these pressers.

DaveBrown74

Both Schoen and Daboll said very positive things about Jones when they got hired, and then a few months later they opted not to exercise his fifth year option.

I'm not reading into anything other than actual actions with these guys. I certainly don't buy that a GM is going to publicly tip the whole league off as to what he is thinking prior to FA and the draft.

MightyGiants

QuoteOK, but what about using a first-round pick (and maybe a high one) on a quarterback in 2024?

"We'll take the best player available," Schoen said. "If the best player available for our team is at a certain position, we'll take him. We won't shy away from it."

https://www.nj.com/giants/2023/11/giants-joe-schoen-says-daniel-jones-will-be-starter-when-healthy-but-doesnt-rule-out-drafting-a-qb-high.html

https://x.com/SNYGiants/status/1729170691583246523?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

EDjohnst1981

He says a lot but also says everything you need to know.

1. He's not sacking off Jones, or trying to destroy any trade value in a year.

2. If the Giants are in a position to draft a QB, who they believe in more, they will.

Nothing on Jones' starting future will be decided until the draft. If they spend a first rounder on a QB, you better believe he will be "their guy". If there's not a QB better than Jones, they will wait.

I don't think this does anything for Jones' job security.

I guess we will have to wait and see.

T200

No news there. It's what I expect the statements to reflect until they draft a QB in April.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 27, 2023, 01:11:57 PMBoth Schoen and Daboll said very positive things about Jones when they got hired, and then a few months later they opted not to exercise his fifth year option.

I'm not reading into anything other than actual actions with these guys. I certainly don't buy that a GM is going to publicly tip the whole league off as to what he is thinking prior to FA and the draft.
Very true, but you have to remember that prior to this regime we had two consecutive GM's that all but gift-wrapped their decisions to the media not to mention us and the competition.

It's a new (and better) world relative to having grown ups in the room who earn respect from their peers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

Uni

Maybe you don't want all the other teams know you're desperate for a QB in the draft.

TDToomer

Quote from: Uni on November 27, 2023, 02:21:32 PMMaybe you don't want all the other teams know you're desperate for a QB in the draft.

I think it's pretty obvious that we are regardless of whatever spin Schoen is putting out there.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Jclayton92

Quote from: Ed Vette on November 27, 2023, 12:59:03 PM"I've seen it, I mean, you guys all saw last season. I mean, the guy won 10 games, he won a road playoff game for the Giants," Schoen said. "I just think. we got punched in the nose early on and we dug ourselves a hole and we weren't able to get out of it. You know, we're, we're trying to right now, but still believe in Daniel."
He can't really say anything else because financially they are tied to him.

I'd bet good money Jones is the "starter" until devito or a draft pick beat him out which will happen.