News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jones will be the Starting QB in 2024 when Healthy- Schoen

Started by Ed Vette, November 27, 2023, 12:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

What is Jones due to make next Year? He sure isn't sitting on the bench making all that money. If someone is stupid enough to trade for him and his contract, then we pull the trigger, but most people laughed at the money the Giants threw his way, so they won't be calling our number very often.
I have no doubt, regardless if we draft anyone who can play QB, once Jones is healthy, he will be our QB. How long he remains there will depend on his play.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

2024 cap hit is $47.1mm.

2024 Yearly cash about $36mm ($46mm this year).

I would agree that Jones will be the Giants starter in the early part of the year if he can play. However, if they draft a rookie in the first round, and Jones and/or the team is not having success, I think he will come out by early/mid October if not sooner.

As far as being actively viewed as the Giants' long term solution at QB, Jones' days here are over. He'll only be on the team in 2024 because there is no economically sound way to get rid of him. We're stuck with him next year, and he gets to walk away a rather rich man despite his meager accomplishments with this organization.

StompYouOT

We're stuck with him, but I don't think he will be ready to play to start the season honestly.  After that I can't see him coming in if we're competitive without him.  To be fair Jones would have won the last 2 weeks as well, but it's well chronicled we will be down 30-0 against good teams and he won't make a throw.  If Devito can keep defenses honest and give us a shot against better teams no way does the team want him pulled for Jones.

I don't think the presser was fluff to build trade value though, can't imagine anyone would want him. 

H-Town G-Fan

Look at what the Schoen has done (scouting virtually every top college QB in person... Williams, Maye, Daniels, McCarthty and Ewers) and not what he says in a meaningless mid-season press conference. In any case, his statements aren't inconsistent with the very likely 2024 scenario: Jones is on the squad due to his contract and the presumptive starter (assuming health) with a new rookie QB likely to be waiting in the wings.

coggs

Cutting Jones would be a ~$70MM cap hit next season or $47MM in 2024 and about $23MM in 2025 if they deem him a post-June 1st cut.  He is not being cut, therefore the starter's job is his to lose if he is healthy.  Does that mean they may not draft a qb in the first round this year? Of course not.

GeauxJints

Quote from: Uni on November 27, 2023, 02:21:32 PMMaybe you don't want all the other teams know you're desperate for a QB in the draft.
lol exactly. Why would he say Jones isn't out starter. You gain nothing saying that and lose everything

DaveBrown74

"I expect Daniel to be our starter next year when he's healthy" is different from "Daniel Jones will be our starter next year once he's healthy."

As others have said, no reading between the lines or heavy analysis is necessary here though. We all know what the situation is, and so does the front office and coaching staff.

MagicRat

I think everyone, in every high profile sport, reads too much into pressers.
Schoen's talking without saying anything here.
There's so much water to flow under so many bridges before next off-season, predicting anything accurately is a crap shoot.
Both in terms of draft placement and potential draft targets.

And anyway, we're only two games (and a few tie break scenarios) out of a wild card.
Who's to say Devito to Hyatt doesn't carry us on the wildest post season run ever.... ;)

Nurse......nurse......I'm hearing the voices again......
Smell my cheese you mother!

Jaime

Schoen can spin the Dimes speak any way he wants to. That's right up to the min. we trade up for our Franchise QB.
 :smug:

Ed Vette

Quote from: MagicRat on November 28, 2023, 12:56:16 AMI think everyone, in every high profile sport, reads too much into pressers.
Schoen's talking without saying anything here.
There's so much water to flow under so many bridges before next off-season, predicting anything accurately is a crap shoot.
Both in terms of draft placement and potential draft targets.

And anyway, we're only two games (and a few tie break scenarios) out of a wild card.
Who's to say Devito to Hyatt doesn't carry us on the wildest post season run ever.... ;)

Nurse......nurse......I'm hearing the voices again......
=))
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

PSUBeirut

I feel like there are a lot of fans who are really hoping Joe Schoen isn't being as candid here as he has absolutely been with every question he's been asked since becoming GM.  In other words- I'd say it seems probable that he means what he says here and is not as focused on drafting a QB high as many fans are.  It's probable he still feels DJ is the guy...because he just said he's expecting DJ to be the starter and they still believe in him. 

Which means it's also probable we're going to have another meltdown on this board on draft night.  YIPPEEE!!!

President Rick

Ed... sanders has a spine injury.  saw it yesterday on espn crawl.  said he's not sure when it happened.  sadly for him, not a good omen.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

T200

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 28, 2023, 08:47:47 AMI feel like there are a lot of fans who are really hoping Joe Schoen isn't being as candid here as he has absolutely been with every question he's been asked since becoming GM.  In other words- I'd say it seems probable that he means what he says here and is not as focused on drafting a QB high as many fans are.  It's probable he still feels DJ is the guy...because he just said he's expecting DJ to be the starter and they still believe in him

Which means it's also probable we're going to have another meltdown on this board on draft night.  YIPPEEE!!!
I think he's speaking in the moment since the draft isn't here yet.

He didn't say he isn't focused on the draft. If he's a good GM, those conversations have already been had and they have names on their draft board.

As far as believing in Jones, DJ is due to make 47 million next year. He needs to be the starter when he's healthy. No one should feel good about a healthy 47 million sitting on the bench, unless the rookie they draft is just lighting it up.

Jones will not be on the team in 2025. His health alone will be more than enough reason for Schoen to let him walk.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

Ed Vette

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 28, 2023, 08:47:47 AMI feel like there are a lot of fans who are really hoping Joe Schoen isn't being as candid here as he has absolutely been with every question he's been asked since becoming GM.  In other words- I'd say it seems probable that he means what he says here and is not as focused on drafting a QB high as many fans are.  It's probable he still feels DJ is the guy...because he just said he's expecting DJ to be the starter and they still believe in him. 

Bing!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: President Rick on November 28, 2023, 08:54:29 AMEd... sanders has a spine injury.  saw it yesterday on espn crawl.  said he's not sure when it happened.  sadly for him, not a good omen.
That's sad if it ends his career. 52 sacks
~ Coach Tom Coughlin