News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Jones will be the Starting QB in 2024 when Healthy- Schoen

Started by Ed Vette, November 27, 2023, 12:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fletch

I expect Daniel JOnes to start and play here as soon as he can. I don't think the Giants will be in  a position to draft a QB in the higher ranks or will even do so.

Daniel jones remains the QB here even if it means Devito starting in weeks 1 and 2 next year. And Daniel Jones will remain QB here for at least 2 more years. This is al much ado about nothing.

Philosophers

I think it was a mistake for Schoen to say that.  He simply does not know how next camp and early season games will play out.  If the Giants have a new FA QB, a rookie QB, Tyrod or DeVito playing well and the Giants are 5-1, you can be certain that once healthy Dabs would pull that effective starter just to make DJ a starter.  No way I see that happening.  It would be one thing if it was Brady or Mahommes or somebody great but not someone of DJ's caliber. 

katkavage

Quote from: Fletch on November 28, 2023, 09:46:31 AMI expect Daniel JOnes to start and play here as soon as he can. I don't think the Giants will be in  a position to draft a QB in the higher ranks or will even do so.

Daniel jones remains the QB here even if it means Devito starting in weeks 1 and 2 next year. And Daniel Jones will remain QB here for at least 2 more years. This is al much ado about nothing.
Talk about depressing.

Gmo11

Quote from: PSUBeirut on November 28, 2023, 08:47:47 AMI feel like there are a lot of fans who are really hoping Joe Schoen isn't being as candid here as he has absolutely been with every question he's been asked since becoming GM.  In other words- I'd say it seems probable that he means what he says here and is not as focused on drafting a QB high as many fans are.  It's probable he still feels DJ is the guy...because he just said he's expecting DJ to be the starter and they still believe in him. 

Which means it's also probable we're going to have another meltdown on this board on draft night.  YIPPEEE!!!

It would be crazy to believe, at this point, that Daniel Jones is anything more than what he has shown himself to be.  I don't believe Schoen is a crazy person, though he did replace one, so I have to believe he's saying what he needs to say in the event they can't upgrade that position like they very much intend to next season. 

They cannot move off of Jones until after next season.  He's going to be here.  And if he's going to be here they can't say right now that he's absolutely not the starter next season.  They have no choice but to say that, as of right now, if healthy he's the starter.  And if they draft Daniels/Penix/Nix with the 4th pick in the draft, at that point, healthy or not Jones will very likely NOT be the starter.  Certainly not the entire season.

Quick Kick

Let's say the Giants get a blue chip QB in the draft and name him the starter.  He will make some rookie mistakes and right away there is a QB controversy. Some players want to win now not in a couple of years-some younger players may have patience.  Better bet is to start Jones and let the blue chip QB learn. 

Another option is trade down for a couple of lower round 1 or round 2 picks and get some serious help for the O line. Maybe use one pick as trade bait for a solid younger free agent right tackle or guard and one pick for a top O line draft choice.  We have 2 good linemen- at center and left tackle- let's fill the other 3 spots which are woefully weak.

A solid O line turns mediocre QBs into good QBs and opens holes for runners. Just look at the 07 and 11 Giants.

katkavage

When I was a kid. I mean a very long time ago, I once met Howard Cosell. I was maybe 13 when I met him. I made the mistake of wearing a NY Giants T-shirt. Howard, being Howard stared at the shirt and asked this 13-year old, if I recall correctly, "Do you, young man, subscribe to the mediocrities and failures of a football franchise?" Of course I had no answer. But Howard was right when he said it. The Giants in those days (1970's) were mediocre at best. This was pre-George Young. And now, many years later, we are all subscribing once again to the mediocrities and failures of a football franchise. Our hope is that Joel Schoen is the modern-day George Young. That he will ignore the wishes of the owner and do what is right for the franchise. I am tired of mediocrity. I'm tired of failure. I don't care about meaningless games in November and December. I want to see the Giants become the Ravens or Steelers (and...gasp...currently the Eagles): model NFL franchises and mostly perennial winners. To do that you have to take risks. You can't sit on your hands. If you ignore what is obvious to everyone outside of the organization just to please those within the organization you are doomed to fail. Or at best, remain at the status quo. The Giants must address the most important position on the field. They must do what it takes to make that happen. Let us hope Schoen has the acumen to do that.   

Jclayton92

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 28, 2023, 10:46:36 AMLet's say the Giants get a blue chip QB in the draft and name him the starter.  He will make some rookie mistakes and right away there is a QB controversy. Some players want to win now not in a couple of years-some younger players may have patience.  Better bet is to start Jones and let the blue chip QB learn. 

Another option is trade down for a couple of lower round 1 or round 2 picks and get some serious help for the O line. Maybe use one pick as trade bait for a solid younger free agent right tackle or guard and one pick for a top O line draft choice.  We have 2 good linemen- at center and left tackle- let's fill the other 3 spots which are woefully weak.

A solid O line turns mediocre QBs into good QBs and opens holes for runners. Just look at the 07 and 11 Giants.
The problem with that is Jones isn't mediocre to be in a position to ever become good.

Teams lines aren't made up of 1st and 2nd rd picks. Most are 5th and 6th rd picks, we can't keep doing that. We've got to get a couole guys in FA, and a new oline coach and let guys develop. Because we can't keep wasting draft capital on the oline.

EDjohnst1981

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 28, 2023, 12:50:15 PMa new oline coach and let guys develop. Because we can't keep wasting draft capital on the oline.

I couldn't agree more with this. I want to see what a new coach can do before more get more high end linemen

Quick Kick

Quote from: Jclayton92 on November 28, 2023, 12:50:15 PMThe problem with that is Jones isn't mediocre to be in a position to ever become good.

Teams lines aren't made up of 1st and 2nd rd picks. Most are 5th and 6th rd picks, we can't keep doing that. We've got to get a couole guys in FA, and a new oline coach and let guys develop. Because we can't keep wasting draft capital on the oline.

You really think Jones is not even mediocre?  His biggest drawback is his inability to stay healthy. Give him a strong line, and he will be a serviceable QB.  Plus you got a lot of $$ tied up with him in 24.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 28, 2023, 01:39:58 PMGive him a strong line, and he will be a serviceable QB.

Can we agree that this statement can be applied to almost every starter, plus many backups, on NFL rosters right now?

"Mediocre" to me means average or maybe slightly below average. I personally don't see how the statement you made negates that description of Jones in any way.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 28, 2023, 01:56:11 PMCan we agree that this statement can be applied to almost every starter, plus many backups, on NFL rosters right now?

"Mediocre" to me means average or maybe slightly below average. I personally don't see how the statement you made negates that description of Jones in any way.

I disagree.  He is a flawed QB....his thinking and release are really bad
Its not a physical issue with Jones, its a mental problem
He is wound too tight and tries too hard.....nothing flows
He is terrified of making a mistake and thus wears out the punters leg
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Quote from: BluesCruz on November 28, 2023, 02:05:26 PMI disagree.  He is a flawed QB....his thinking and release are really bad
Its not a physical issue with Jones, its a mental problem
He is wound too tight and tries too hard.....nothing flows
He is terrified of making a mistake and thus wears out the punters leg

I think you may have misunderstood my point, or maybe I didn't articulate it well. In any case I was not defending Jones.

BluesCruz

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 28, 2023, 02:08:47 PMI think you may have misunderstood my point, or maybe I didn't articulate it well. In any case I was not defending Jones.

Sorry about that DaveB. My bad
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

DaveBrown74

Jclayton92

Quote from: Quick Kick on November 28, 2023, 01:39:58 PMYou really think Jones is not even mediocre?  His biggest drawback is his inability to stay healthy. Give him a strong line, and he will be a serviceable QB.  Plus you got a lot of $$ tied up with him in 24.

What in his 5 year career has shown you that he is serviceable? Absolutely nothing is the answer. Devito and Tyrod have both significantly outplayed our 40 million a year quarterback which should never happen. Him and Davis Mills had the same yardage last year, and Mills got replaced by a rookie in stroud.

If the answer to any question regarding the future of this team is Daniel Jones then it should be seen as a complete failure on the front office regardless of what we are paying him.

Yes we made a mistake paying Jones, look at when the 49ers, Eagles, Chiefs make a mistake, they don't double, and triple down, they cut bait and deal with it. So we made a mistake, let's now not double down on that mistake by continuing to play him.