News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Banks on Daniel Jones

Started by MightyGiants, February 04, 2024, 07:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 12:49:46 PMHe is not good under pressure and is prone to freezing up and either escaping the pocket prematurely, or is slow in processing the break from containment or the play's call progression was to read short to long.

This is the position. If he can't do this then our offense is gonna be stuck in neutral until we find somebody who can.

Ed Vette

Quote from: jgrangers2 on February 04, 2024, 01:28:09 PMThis is the position. If he can't do this then our offense is gonna be stuck in neutral until we find somebody who can.
Well it's not up to you or me.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

sooners56

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 11:54:29 AMGood point. It only matters what you think/say. ;)

It's not what I am thinking/saying, it is what Jones has proved so far. In 5 seasons, he has only played a 16 game season once, every other year he
Missed games due to injury.  As far as production, his top two TD seasons was his rookie year with 26 TDs combined (great for a rookie) and then just last year with 22 TDs combined (terrible for a 5th year player) so 4 out of 5 seasons he wasn't exactly lighting it up. The facts back up what I think.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Ed Vette

Quote from: sooners56 on February 04, 2024, 03:29:16 PMIt's not what I am thinking/saying, it is what Jones has proved so far. In 5 seasons, he has only played a 16 game season once, every other year he
Missed games due to injury.  As far as production, his top two TD seasons was his rookie year with 26 TDs combined (great for a rookie) and then just last year with 22 TDs combined (terrible for a 5th year player) so 4 out of 5 seasons he wasn't exactly lighting it up. The facts back up what I think.
I was the first one here to say he wasn't the guy three years ago. So now the facts back me up too. Thank you
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 04, 2024, 03:36:29 PMI was the first one here to say he wasn't the guy three years ago. So now the facts back me up too. Thank you

I was right there with ya Ed. It was fairly easy to see by the eye test.

He's our guy next year and I'm gonna root like hell for him to prove us all wrong. I would love that to be the case and I'd happily take the poundings here. But I don't have much confidence this will happen because ironically, the greatest thing Daniel Jones did for this franchise unfortunately was because of an injury - we were able to evaluate his performance against not one, but 2 other QBs.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Trench on February 04, 2024, 04:07:19 PMI was right there with ya Ed. It was fairly easy to see by the eye test.

He's our guy next year and I'm gonna root like hell for him to prove us all wrong. I would love that to be the case and I'd happily take the poundings here. But I don't have much confidence this will happen because ironically, the greatest thing Daniel Jones did for this franchise unfortunately was because of an injury - we were able to evaluate his performance against not one, but 2 other QBs.
I'll root for him too. I was very optimistic coming into 2023 and I know it wasn't all on him.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

H-Town G-Fan

Company man says company man thing in favor of team owner's golden child.

spiderblue43

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 04, 2024, 08:08:59 PMCompany man says company man thing in favor of team owner's golden child.

That sums it up well. Mara has his pet players (Jones,Barkley.Sheppard etc.) to the detriment of the team. DJ was simply one of the worst qbs in the league when upright last year. He couldn't make the leap into starring role. Pfft. He is a backup like many feared.

5 years is more than enough time to conclude he is mediocre and mired with injuries. The DJ Era is (or should) be brought to a merciful end this year.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 04, 2024, 08:22:24 AMI think if anyone is going to try to make conciliatory statements about Jones' season by passing the buck to the supporting cast, it is not particularly interesting unless they explain why the other two QBs on the roster, both of whom make either a very small or, in DeVito's case, a very tiny fraction of what Jones makes, were both clearly better than Jones in 2023 with the same teammates Jones had.

Same teammates yes...same offensive line no. 
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

TDToomer

Quote from: H-Town G-Fan on February 04, 2024, 08:08:59 PMCompany man says company man thing in favor of team owner's golden child.

If Carl is such a company man then why did he blast the Giants with his "scholarship player" comments saying certain players were held onto for too long? I still do not understand what point he was making when the Giants have cut plenty of players who they drafted and rarely extend anyone.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 09:58:21 AMIf Carl is such a company man then why did he blast the Giants with his "scholarship player" comments saying certain players were held onto for too long? I still do not understand what point he was making when the Giants have cut plenty of players who they drafted and rarely extend anyone.
That was the old Carl Banks. He believed in public accountability back then. He changed his approach in recent years and now focuses on cheerleading and defending players.

TDToomer

Quote from: Doc16LT56 on February 05, 2024, 10:13:23 AMThat was the old Carl Banks. He believed in public accountability back then. He changed his approach in recent years and now focuses on cheerleading and defending players.

Well if you mean his defense of Thibs I support what he has done. Someone had to stand up to the jerks at WFAN.
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Doc16LT56

Quote from: TDToomer on February 05, 2024, 10:16:18 AMWell if you mean his defense of Thibs I support what he has done. Someone had to stand up to the jerks at WFAN.
He has said on the radio that he avoids criticizing players.

MightyGiants

If you guys actually listened to Banks, you would have heard him heavily criticize Ojulari for not being healthy enough to be on the field (he suggested he was dogging it)

We really shouldn't try and shape the world to how we want to see it (by dismissing information that doesn't fit perception) but rather we should reshape perception to fit what we observe.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Doc16LT56

Banks will only criticize players the front office is okay with criticizing. Let's hear him criticize Evan Neal and JMS since he's so down on the OL.