News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Schoen answers fan who hates DJ

Started by Jolly Blue Giant, February 28, 2024, 01:45:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

uconnjack8

Glad Schoen didn't say negative things about Jones, which is GMing 101.

MightyGiants

I will say there is one striking difference between how GM Joe Schoen views the Jones situation versus how the majority of fans see it.   Schoen recognizes that there are factors that can impact a quarterback's play that are out of their control, while many fans think the "right" quarterback can play great regardless of circumstance.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 29, 2024, 08:28:53 AMI will say there is one striking difference between how GM Joe Schoen views the Jones situation versus how the majority of fans see it.   Schoen recognizes that there are factors that can impact a quarterback's play that are out of their control, while many fans think the "right" quarterback can play great regardless of circumstance.

The difference is vast. Players on the team praise DJ, as do coaches, and retired Giants...yet there is a significant portion of the fan base who routinely spew insults at DJ as if they know ten times more than the coaches and players
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 29, 2024, 08:36:17 AMThe difference is vast. Players on the team praise DJ, as do coaches, and retired Giants...yet there is a significant portion of the fan base who routinely spew insults at DJ as if they know ten times more than the coaches and players

Mel Kiper, Peter King, Eli Manning, Bob Papa, Phil Simms, and Carl Banks are still in DJ's corner.   I don't doubt DJ's talent, but the injuries are a major concern for me.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on February 29, 2024, 08:36:17 AMThe difference is vast. Players on the team praise DJ, as do coaches, and retired Giants...yet there is a significant portion of the fan base who routinely spew insults at DJ as if they know ten times more than the coaches and players
You do realize that they are towing the company line correct? No ones going to speak how they really feel...

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 29, 2024, 08:46:06 AMYou do realize that they are towing the company line correct? No ones going to speak how they really feel...

Is anyone towing the company line over at Jets HQ when it comes to the QB they drafted 2nd overall?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

DJ has been in the bottom 3rd of Qbs his entire career if not outside the top 32 and you logically think that all these people don't wish they had a different qb?

Wait until we draft one and see how the entire tone changes towards Jones. The most diehard beat writers finally acknowledged his problems this past season and the need for a new qb.

If Jones ever was the answer, he isn't now otherwise everyone wouldn't be constantly saying we need to move up for a Qb or that we will be drafting one. Every NY Giants article right now is about us taking a Qb. If Jones was the answer and so loved, that would not be the case.

Ed Vette

Quote from: uconnjack8 on February 29, 2024, 08:19:00 AMGlad Schoen didn't say negative things about Jones, which is GMing 101.
Of course, he may have trade value.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 29, 2024, 08:52:41 AMDJ has been in the bottom 3rd of Qbs his entire career if not outside the top 32 and you logically think that all these people don't wish they had a different qb?

Wait until we draft one and see how the entire tone changes towards Jones. The most diehard beat writers finally acknowledged his problems this past season and the need for a new qb.

If Jones ever was the answer, he isn't now otherwise everyone wouldn't be constantly saying we need to move up for a Qb or that we will be drafting one. Every NY Giants article right now is about us taking a Qb. If Jones was the answer and so loved, that would not be the case.
Quite obvious those cheap shots were over your head.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 29, 2024, 08:53:11 AMOf course, he may have trade value.

I don't believe he has trade value; not with his current contract.  It's also highly unlikely DJ would ever receive a similar deal; thus, he would be crazy to renegotiate it, which negates any trade value.  If fans being honest with themselves, ask  what team would trade for DJ and his current contract?  I suspect the honest answer is none, which belies this entire narrative.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 29, 2024, 08:52:41 AMDJ has been in the bottom 3rd of Qbs his entire career if not outside the top 32 and you logically think that all these people don't wish they had a different qb?

The part in bold simply is not accurate.  Take 2022 the one season where DJ had good coaching but below average blocking and receiving.

QB rating 13
QBR 6th
PFF 17th

That is not bottom third, not even close.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

expatriot

JS has a perfect out if he drafts a QB.  Jones injury history.  Jones will start when healthy, the young QB can watch and develop and if next season is another stinker with Jones at QB, they can move on.  I personally think letting a young guy sit a year isn't terrible.  I know financial considerations drive these "start right away" decisions but I think sitting for a year or part of a year to see the big picture and learn is in the better long term interest of the team.

Ed Vette

Quote from: kingm56 on February 29, 2024, 09:02:01 AMI don't believe he has trade value; not with his current contract.  It's also highly unlikely DJ would ever receive a similar deal; thus, he would be crazy to renegotiate it, which negates any trade value.  If fans being honest with themselves, ask  what team would trade for DJ and his current contract?  I suspect the honest answer is none, which belies this entire narrative.
Every year, contracts for QB's get more expensive. His 2025 year cap hit is only 41 million for a team that would trade for him. That's also a weak QB draft class. Keeping their options open is smart.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: expatriot on February 29, 2024, 09:21:52 AMJS has a perfect out if he drafts a QB.  Jones injury history.  Jones will start when healthy, the young QB can watch and develop and if next season is another stinker with Jones at QB, they can move on.  I personally think letting a young guy sit a year isn't terrible.  I know financial considerations drive these "start right away" decisions but I think sitting for a year or part of a year to see the big picture and learn is in the better long term interest of the team.

I really think the sit-or-play option should be made with strong consideration of the support the QB enjoys or suffers.  Sitting is usually the best option if the team has poor protection and weak receivers.  If the QB enjoys good protection and has quality targets, they often benefit from starting sooner.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: Ed Vette on February 29, 2024, 09:23:31 AMEvery year, contracts for QB's get more expensive. His 2025 year cap hit is only 41 million for a team that would trade for him. That's also a weak QB draft class. Keeping their options open is smart.

I can't think of a single team that would pay DJ $41M/yr, vice drafting a QB. The latter will be much cheaper and have the potential to be more than a bottom 10 passer. I wish you were right, Ed...I just view his contract, relative to his ability/performance to be a massive hurdle.