News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Drake Maye

Started by Rosehill Jimmy, April 08, 2024, 02:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on April 11, 2024, 11:52:27 AMHis accuracy plummets when he sets up to throw to one side then has to set up to other side because his initial read was not open. 

He is much better when he throws to his primary first read.
Did you watch Bobby Skinner's review?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: Ed Vette on April 11, 2024, 11:59:28 AMDid you watch Bobby Skinner's review?

No.  I just went by what I saw when I watched some of his games. 

MightyGiants

Not only does Mike Lombardi theorize the Giants want Drake Maye.  On his last podcast, he said he heard from reliable sources the Giants want Drake Maye
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

I know most have made up their minds they don't like Drake Maye, but I guess I am in the minority on him. I'd be extremely excited if he became a Giant.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 12, 2024, 05:24:08 PMI know most have made up their minds they don't like Drake Maye, but I guess I am in the minority on him. I'd be extremely excited if he became a Giant.

I don't know but from what I've read, I'm left with the impression that both Maye and McCarthy are equally polarizing. If Schoen and Co. take a QB at 6 (regardless of who) I would be excited for the future and pray to God they got the right guy
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

brownelvis54

The KING is in the building

MightyGiants

Drake Maye, North Carolina
Most frequent scout/exec comps: Josh Allen (with less arm strength), Carson Wentz

Teams that place high value on physical traits in their quarterback evaluation will love Maye, who is the classic upside play with high boom-or-bust potential. "Extremely gifted athlete, best size of all the guys -- confident he's still developing with enormous upside," said an NFC exec of the 6-foot-4, 223-pound Maye. "Can make all of the throws and is a very good athlete to create on his own as a runner and passer. Highly competitive. He's got star potential."

Maye helped elevate a subpar supporting cast to produce 359 plays of 10-plus yards since 2022, second to Michael Penix Jr. in the FBS. While some evaluators place him in Tier 1, above Daniels and on par with Williams, others knocked him for lack of refinement.

"Huge upside, but way more of a project than he appears to be," an NFL coordinator said. "Footwork all over the place, same with his eyes. Kind of just makes plays off raw talent and athleticism. Thought he would be much more polished."

Multiple coaches say Maye flourishes while creating off schedule but not often enough when on time, with one pointing out: "I've got a 50-play cut-up of him dropping back, seeing an open window and taking off to run."

To be sure, Maye underwent coordinator changes at North Carolina and didn't have enough support at the receiver and offensive line spots. His running ability is a premium, with shades of Allen, though his arm strength isn't considered on par with Allen or Justin Herbert -- "good but not that good," as one AFC scout put it, who rated it at a seven out of 10. Maye throws an impressive deep ball, particularly on post routes, coaches say.

"He does need some time, and there will be growing pains, but you take him because he has the most upside of everybody," one high-ranking NFL personnel man said. "There's major ability there. I worry that if you take him and you don't have a supporting cast and a good offensive line or receivers and he has to play right away, he will struggle early."

Multiple evaluators pointed out Minnesota is the perfect place for Maye in that regard, should the Vikings move up to get him. Scouts noted he's smart, relaxed and even witty in interviews.

"Super competitive and will rush for 400 to 500 yards a year," an AFC scout said. "He's just never played big in big moments, doesn't have that signature win to elevate his team, though he wasn't always in the position to provide that."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/39914870/2024-nfl-draft-quarterback-tiers-scouts-executives-caleb-williams-jayden-daniels-drake-maye
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

katkavage

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 12, 2024, 05:46:03 PMI don't know but from what I've read, I'm left with the impression that both Maye and McCarthy are equally polarizing. If Schoen and Co. take a QB at 6 (regardless of who) I would be excited for the future and pray to God they got the right guy
I agree. There is no other option other than prolonging QB hell.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 16, 2024, 12:00:08 PM"He does need some time, and there will be growing pains, but you take him because he has the most upside of everybody," one high-ranking NFL personnel man said. "There's major ability there. I worry that if you take him and you don't have a supporting cast and a good offensive line or receivers and he has to play right away, he will struggle early."

That doesn't sound like a great fit for any recent version of the Giants.  Except he wouldn't have to play right away.  But the Giants haven't shown the ability to supply a QB with "a supporting cast and a good offensive line or receivers" no matter WHEN he has to play.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Trench

Giants will definitely take a QB in 1st round if for no other reason it will ensure some added years of job security for the GM and possibly the Head coach also