News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is their anyone here that still thinks Daniel Jones can be the guy?

Started by brownelvis54, March 29, 2024, 11:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Do you feel Daniel Jones can win with the Giants, if we build the right team around him? Apparently there was a survey that said that 76% of the franchise fans voted to move on from Jones while 24% voted to keep him. So 25% of the fans still have some belief that Jones can be the face of the franchise. I don't think Jones is solely the problem, to me he is part of the problem. The list goes on and on to why the Giants are so dysfunctional right now.

I found this interesting on Reddit

Does anyone NOT believe in Daniel Jones as much as me?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYGiants/comments/18t4ybv/does_anyone_not_believe_in_daniel_jones_as_much/?rdt=48237

The responses are similar to what has been said here, he is one of them:

I certainly don't think he's a franchise QB worthy of the contract he received. I would say 67-75% percentile of starters. Top of the bottom third. I think he can win with a super stacked team.

He's an incredible athlete, almost along the lines of Lamar Jackson. This makes up for a lot of his shortcomings. He can get in a groove and ball out every once and a while.

The problem is, ignoring his injury history which makes it worse, is this:

The game moves slightly too fast for him. This causes an inability to keep his eyes downfield and an inability to improvise outside of the pocket. If a play breaks down, which is going to happen a lot with that OLine, he's running or sacked. The attempt to remedy the issues with fumbling has made this worse. His internal alarm goes off so quick in order to avoid getting stripped. Plays can't develop when your clock is that quick. His pocket presence has improved, but is still mediocre. He cannot step up and make a throw because his eyes were not downfield.

We have seen his best play. His good quarters, not games because he hasn't played an entire game dominantly, are too few and far between. He can't break a game with his talent, and he can't carry a team or elevate the play of others. I will also add that he makes an already bad OLine look worse.
The KING is in the building

DaveBrown74

"The guy"? No. I would say 2023 firmly closed the door on that, if it was still even slightly ajar. Even if people want to cling to the fantasy of him being a good QB someday, I don't see how "the guy" can ever be someone who gets seriously injured as frequently as he does.

nicky1000

He is a more mobile Ryan Tannehill. Right pieces around him and he can succeed. Not a difference maker.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: nicky1000 on March 29, 2024, 11:21:05 AMHe is a more mobile Ryan Tannehill.

That's a huge compliment for Jones.

Jones' best year (2022) didn't come close to Tannehill's best years.

Jolly Blue Giant

Yes, I am one of those guys who believe DJ could still be "the one". I haven't lost faith in DJ or our GM and Coach, who I believe know far, far more than me or any of the fans. If Schoen opts to get one of the top QBs in this draft, then I'll concede that DJ is probably not the one, but until then...absolutely believe in Daniel Jones as a top flight QB for the future

As a side note: I am a self-proclaimed homer and live up to that moniker. I do not follow the whims of fans who are quick to throw out the baby with the bath. The USS Giants is listing, but Captain Schoen can right the ship IMHO
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Philosophers

How can anyone judge anyone behind one of the 2 worst OLs in NFL History? That's like judging the strength of the U.S. Navy on December 7th when all hell broke loose.

londonblue

I just cannot get past his neck injuries. That is not going away. One unlucky hit and it might be career ending. I cannot have faith in a guy when I see that risk. We can rehash all the old arguments about his play vs OL/WR issues but to me valid though talent/football IQ concerns might be they are a distant second to his physical fragility.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

ralphpal1

I think that 26 .percent who.wants to keep.him
Might of thought that it meant this year

AZGiantFan

I think he will  be pretty successful once he gets away from the Giants.  He's the poster boy for how important the development environment is.  He has yet to have the opportunity to play behind a minimally adequate OL and throw to WRs that are better than mediocre.  Some like to say those are excuses and that he needs everything perfect to be successful, but personally I think that is hogwash.  The poor OL is a reason for Barkley but an excuse for Jones?  And so far his supporting cast has been so far from "perfect" that I find that narrative laughable, considering that he has never even been surrounded by a half decent supporting cast.

The injury issue is a concern, but a lot of players get injured and are able to bounce back.  If he is one of them I still think he has a good chance to be a very good QB for a team that is not perfect or super stacked but is reasonably competent in their OL and WRs, something he has never had with the Giants.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: brownelvis54 on March 29, 2024, 11:04:16 AMDoes anyone NOT believe in Daniel Jones as much as me?
brownE: I'm still with you, although not as strongly in the Jones camp as in prior years. 

At this point in time, Jones MUST take a share of blame (although there's plenty to go around) for under-performance during his career.

Also, there are medical reasons to strongly consider moving on (in my opinion with no inside info on his health).

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

andrew_nyGiants

At the end of '22 I thought he had the chance to improve and grow into a full route tree type QB.

About week 3 last year, it dawned on me that this is not a long term solve at QB.

Not all his fault, but once you start seeing ghosts you're heading to a place from where there is no return.

It's time to move on IMVHO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

GloryDays

Count me as a believer in DJ. I just hope that through years of bad O lines and hit after hit, his mental and physical condition is not damaged for good. Through ineptitude, they were not fair to the kid... at least he got paid.

bamagiantfan

I think the trust Daboll showed in him in 2022 at critical times, and the fact that he would not promise competition for the starting job to QBs seeking a landing spot in New York, tells me Daboll sees something in him.

I hope he's right. 
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on March 29, 2024, 11:46:42 AMI just cannot get past his neck injuries. That is not going away. One unlucky hit and it might be career ending. I cannot have faith in a guy when I see that risk. We can rehash all the old arguments about his play vs OL/WR issues but to me valid though talent/football IQ concerns might be they are a distant second to his physical fragility.

This is the main issue; the second neck injury shattered all confidence in his ability to stay healthy.  The people who have been criticizing Jones for years will try to make it about talent, but you can't win games from the trainer's table.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jimc

In answer to this specific question "Do you feel Daniel Jones can win with the Giants, if we build the right team around him?". I say definitely yes!

But, it goes much deeper than that simple question.

For the next 5 years can he stay on the field? Given his injury track record, I think the FO needs to protect themselves here and draft the next Giants QB. Probably not this year, or at least not in the early rounds, because you are needing to "build the right team around" DJ. You made that investment in him.

The real issue I see for the future of this team is that you cannot afford to swing and miss in this draft. We have to strike gold this draft or we will be looking at a few more down years. I think you need an A or A+ draft.

- Accumulating knowledge is pointless unless it is used to help someone