News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Greatest Movie Ever Made

Started by jimv, March 15, 2021, 08:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Lenny wanted somebody to attempt this thread.  So, I guess I'll do it. :ok: :ok: :ok:

Now, I'm sure there'll be a lot of films mentioned in this thread.  And, that's OK.  And, nobody will be wrong because, after all, each picture named will be a personal choice.  But, please give your reason/s.

I'll start of.  And, I agree 100% with Weeze who already posted his choice on another thread:

"Ben Hur"

1. Directed by one of the all-time great Directors; William Wyler.

2. A grand epic picture that kept its personal stories on a "little screen" level.

3. A fine strong actor, Charlton Heston, in a life time Acadaemy Award performance.

4.  Great performances by the entire cast.

5. One of the greatest action sequences ever filmed; the Chariot Race.

6. IMO, the greatest film score ever written by Miklos Rozsa.

Bob In PA

I intend to answer, Jim, but I've been thinking about it all day and still haven't made up my mind. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

LennG

IMVHO, at this time in my life, I would rate 'The Godfather' as the greatest American movie ever made. Funny, as many feel Godfather !! was better, but you never hear it mentioned as greatest movie.

Why, just so many things

Wonderful acting by so many people
maybe the best-written movie ever
Fabulous score
Maybe a movie many could relate to
So many memorable lines that people took with them after seeing the movie
Scenes that were really never done on screen before (the horse's head)
Superbly directed
Unbelievable cinemaphotography
Truly a cinematic masterpiece all the way around.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

OK, I'm ready.  First, my thought process..... IMO, in order to respond to "The Greatest Movie Ever Made" requires a thought process. 

First, I made a selection in each category (I may forget to name them all here, but they are Drama, Historical Drama, Thriller, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Documentary, Horror, Comedy, Musical, Action, Western, Romance & RomCom).
Next came the really hard part.... deciding which category should be the one from which "The Greatest Movie Ever Made" should be drawn.
Lastly, even having made my choice, I then considered whether or not to conclude that the FIRST movie ever made should by default be deemed "The Best Movie Ever Made."  I believe the answer to that question is "no."

And so, Regis (Philbin), my FINAL ANSWER... the best movie ever made was... "Shindler's List."  No explanation necessary.

Bob

LennG

I know I had already put up what I felt was the greatest movie ever made, but when I told my wife about my choice she had a different movie, one that no one really would put up here, but on thinking about, a movie that EVERYONE loves and is considered always, as one of the top 10 movies ever made.

To Kill A Mockingbird.

I won't go into her reasons, as that's just what she thinks, but overall, I couldn't argue about it with her as it is truly a great movie. Outstanding acting, memorable roles, great story, writing, directing. It simply has it all.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on March 18, 2021, 03:39:56 PM
I know I had already put up what I felt was the greatest movie ever made, but when I told my wife about my choice she had a different movie, one that no one really would put up here, but on thinking about, a movie that EVERYONE loves and is considered always, as one of the top 10 movies ever made.

To Kill A Mockingbird.

I won't go into her reasons, as that's just what she thinks, but overall, I couldn't argue about it with her as it is truly a great movie. Outstanding acting, memorable roles, great story, writing, directing. It simply has it all.

Lenn: Tell Doris "To Kill A Mockingbird" was my choice for 2nd Greatest Movie Ever Made (and say hi to her for me). Bob

LennG

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 18, 2021, 03:43:11 PM
Lenn: Tell Doris "To Kill A Mockingbird" was my choice for 2nd Greatest Movie Ever Made (and say hi to her for me). Bob

Already done  :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Lenny, Marie, for some reason, hates that movie.  And, I can't understand why.  Say "hi" to Doris.

LennG

Quote from: jimv on March 18, 2021, 07:24:48 PM
Lenny, Marie, for some reason, hates that movie.  And, I can't understand why.  Say "hi" to Doris.

Hey, let's not spoil her with everyone saying Hi to her.   :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Charlie Weiss

GIANTS1

To Kill a Mockingbird us a great movie. Made a huge impression first time I saw it. Your thoughts on 12 Angry Men another old fave.

Bob In PA

Quote from: GIANTS1 on March 26, 2021, 12:24:55 PM
To Kill a Mockingbird us a great movie. Made a huge impression first time I saw it. Your thoughts on 12 Angry Men another old fave.
G1: In the category of Top 10 All-Time Motion Pictures, IMO it's the best example a "one-of-a-kind" movie. 

It's nearly impossible to do a story about juror deliberations without "copying" or imitating it. 

Another one (many people would say) is "Hollywood Sunset Boulevard."  I don't particularly put it in the Top 10, but I believe I'm in the minority (especially for those people who really study acting, movies & movie-making).  Bob

GIANTS1

I will put Hollywood Boulevard on my list.

LennG

'12 Angry Men' is truly a terrific movie. maybe one of Fondas best. I never tire of seeing it and it also has just a wonderful supporting cast.

Hollywood Boulevard????????

Are we talking Sunset Boulevard by mistake?

Charlie Weiss

Bob In PA

Quote from: LennG on March 26, 2021, 01:37:16 PM
'12 Angry Men' is truly a terrific movie. maybe one of Fondas best. I never tire of seeing it and it also has just a wonderful supporting cast.

Hollywood Boulevard????????

Are we talking Sunset Boulevard by mistake?

Lenn: Yes we are, and my memory failed me.  I apologize.  Bob

Bob In PA

Quote from: GIANTS1 on March 26, 2021, 01:22:39 PM
I will put Hollywood Boulevard on my list.
G1: Don't bother.  That movie sucks.  As Lenn surmised, I meant to say "Sunset Boulevard" and apologize for the confusion.  Bob