News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How does one go about changing their political party?

Started by LennG, November 12, 2022, 02:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

This is NOT a political thread, but we are registered Democrats, and both my wife and I were thinking about changing our affiliation to Independent. No particular reason, just we are a bit dissatisfied with each party and if we wanted to change, how does one go about doing so?
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I think all you do is notify the people when you vote next.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: jimv on November 12, 2022, 02:12:56 PMI think all you do is notify the people when you vote next.

Agreed. You can definitely do it this way. If you want to get it done sooner, I believe you can do that too. This may be helpful.

https://www.usa.gov/change-voter-registration

One thing to keep in mind is if you're independent, in some states you cannot vote in the primary. I'm not suggesting this is a reason to register with a party you no longer feel comfortable with, but it's just something to bear in mind.

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on November 12, 2022, 02:23:15 PMAgreed. You can definitely do it this way. If you want to get it done sooner, I believe you can do that too. This may be helpful.

https://www.usa.gov/change-voter-registration

One thing to keep in mind is if you're independent, in some states you cannot vote in the primary. I'm not suggesting this is a reason to register with a party you no longer feel comfortable with, but it's just something to bear in mind.

Yeah...the only downside in New York State if you're and Independent - no voting in primaries. Some states let you vote in all the primaries for all the tickets. Seems like the best plan to me, but what do I know. I was a Democrat in the early 70's, switched to Republican, and by 1976 was a registered Independent and that's what I've been for the last 46 years. Probably closest to Libertarian (fiscal responsibility and let people do whatever the heck they want to do (as long as it doesn't negatively effect another person) without government interference...and avoid war at all costs). I have distaste in my mouth for both major parties  :sick:
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Ed Vette

I also consider myself Libertarian and changed my affiliation to unaffiliated. I did it at the County.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

We have never voted strictly party lines and usually vote for whomever we feel is best for the job. I know we can still do that no matter which party we are registered for, but I just like the sound of being independent.

Charlie Weiss

DaveBrown74

Quote from: LennG on November 13, 2022, 11:30:14 AMWe have never voted strictly party lines and usually vote for whomever we feel is best for the job. I know we can still do that no matter which party we are registered for, but I just like the sound of being independent.

I've been a registered independent for a long time now. I never vote strictly for a party. I've been a candidate and situational-based voter for pretty much all of my adult life. Nothing against those who do vote strictly down party lines obviously, but that's just not something that has ever appealed to me personally. I don't feel strongly enough about wanting to vote in my state primary to where I'd be willing to register with one of the parties just for that reason. I can understand you wanting to make the switch.

weeze

I was registered to the same party all my life until President Psycho was elected. I immediately joined another party. Had to, had no choice. Cannot be associated with traitors, criminals and psychotic paranoid schizoid liars and thieves.
 It should be noted that I named no party and did not reveal who I was talking about.
  By the way, anybody know of a sneaky type link to use to get to see the game tomorrow?
I signed up for a free trial for something last week that Im supposed to cancel so I could watch the red zone so I dont want to do that again.
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

LennG

According to the broadcast map for this week, about 1/2 of Florida is getting the Giants game.

https://giantsfans.net/message_board/index.php?topic=64293.0

If that's not you, some one did post something about how you might be able to watch any game on your computer for free, I just can't find it at the moment.

Charlie Weiss

Jclayton92

I registered as an independent awhile back and found that instead of getting bombarded by one party constantly I started getting bombarded by both parties lol. So that might be the only downside but I live in LA.

MagicRat

Its a bit different here in the UK (I really don't understand how this "registered" stuff works) but I am wholly unaligned to any political party.
I have a core set of beliefs, and some beliefs I'm give and take/big picture on.

So I'll look for a party that comes close to them and vote accordingly.

On occasion, that involves drawing genitalia on the ballot paper because they're all a shower of crap.
Smell my cheese you mother!