News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

JJ McCarthy (could he be the Giants target in round one)?

Started by MightyGiants, February 02, 2024, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: katkavage on March 21, 2024, 11:58:23 AMIf only! I've said that the Mara's are ultimately what drag the franchise down.

I've been drifting towards the assessment that Mara is Jerrah, without the flamboyance and, frankly, without the skills.  Say what you want about the Cowboys tendency to flame out, but at least they've been competitive enough to be in a position to flame out.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 21, 2024, 02:07:52 PMI've been drifting towards the assessment that Mara is Jerrah, without the flamboyance and, frankly, without the skills.  Say what you want about the Cowboys tendency to flame out, but at least they've been competitive enough to be in a position to flame out.

Interesting point: Would a fan rather have a quality, entertaining, decent team that flames out every year at the end for decades (cheer all year, cry at the end)...or an up-and-down, feast-or-famine, stink-or-shine type of team that wins a Lombardi every decade (bitch all year, surprised some years and have a parade)?

As for me, I'll take the latter
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 05:24:07 PMhttps://x.com/realtannenbaum/status/1771144832263639427?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

Seems like a pretty routine play for any QB capable of being on an NFL roster.

If JJ McCarthy is a top five caliber pick, which he may well be, is that really the play you'd pick to prove that assertion?

PSUBeirut

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 05:24:07 PMhttps://x.com/realtannenbaum/status/1771144832263639427?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

I'm sorry but if that's the evidence count me out.  That is about as routine as a one-read play can get in that situation.  There was no reading of the defense on that play.  And to top it off the throw wasn't all that perfect either- he didn't lead the WR past the sticks.  If I was this guy I'd be embarrassed by this tweet.

And I'm no JJ hater.  I think he's actually gonna be one of the better QBs.  But not because of plays like this.

sooners56

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 05:55:33 PMSeems like a pretty routine play for any QB capable of being on an NFL roster.

If JJ McCarthy is a top five caliber pick, which he may well be, is that really the play you'd pick to prove that assertion?

My thoughts as well. Seems like that was the first read and the player was obviously about to be open. Easy read, easythrow and catch. I assure you my 13 year old could make that read and throw.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Greg Cosell is a man whose opinion I highly value.  Greg never overstates and clearly states the limitations of his opinions.   Over the years I have seen him being proven correct more than he is proven wrong (which is rarely).  He does not seem high on JJ at all.

Is J.J. McCarthy's Draft Stock Rising Justified?
VIDEO 3/21/24

Greg Cosell explains why he isn't sure as to why there is an uptick in J.J. McCarthy's draft stock and why he is not a believer.

https://www.the33rdteam.com/is-j-j-mccarthys-draft-stock-rising-justified/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 23, 2024, 11:26:49 AMInteresting take on McCarthy from a former NFL scout:

https://twitter.com/firstroundmock/status/1771531489236127805?s=46&t=5ebj5eomvte9o41lpqwTkQ

I don't doubt his claim of 4 years working with the Jets, but frankly, I had a hard time taking him seriously after he made this comment:

Quote"I can at least "comprehend" the strong feelings some people have about guys who have won the Heisman"
Of things that might be indicators of NFL success, winning the Heisman is not one of them.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 22, 2024, 04:54:49 PMInteresting point: Would a fan rather have a quality, entertaining, decent team that flames out every year at the end for decades (cheer all year, cry at the end)...or an up-and-down, feast-or-famine, stink-or-shine type of team that wins a Lombardi every decade (bitch all year, surprised some years and have a parade)?

However, I think it is fair to give Jerrah some credit for the Cowboys' relatively consistent competitiveness, while I think Mara has more to do with the famine years and very little to do with the occasional feast years.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

TONKA56

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 22, 2024, 04:54:49 PMInteresting point: Would a fan rather have a quality, entertaining, decent team that flames out every year at the end for decades (cheer all year, cry at the end)...or an up-and-down, feast-or-famine, stink-or-shine type of team that wins a Lombardi every decade (bitch all year, surprised some years and have a parade)?

We have this exact same conversation every three or four years.

DaveBrown74

Absolutely zero question I'd take the latter.