News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A Trip Down Big Blue Memory Lane

Started by MightyGiants, February 14, 2024, 11:45:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 09, 2024, 08:45:28 AMhttps://x.com/BigBlueVCR/status/1766460177547489411?s=20

What comes to mind watching this was that before Davis Meggett, I had never witnessed a Giant return neither a punt nor a kickoff for a touchdown. Meggett took care of the punt return TD in 1989 against the Raiders, and again in the 1990 season opener against the Iggles. But Rocky Thompson's 1972 record was still hanging out there until 20 years later, the game in 1992, when it finally was replaced by this play. I always thought it bizarre that Giants' special teams never had any big plays back then. I think Bobby Hammond had a punt return TD called back against the Browns in 1977, but never had there been anything close to a kickoff return for one.

Ever since then, the Giants have yielded better results on scoring TDs from kickoffs but the last one was in 2015 by Dwayne Harris against Dallas. His 100-yard return proved the difference in the 27-20 victory for the Giants. Perhaps ironically, this TD occurred under the watch of head coach Tom Coughlin, whose teams delivered six (6) kickoff touchdowns during his 12-years as Head Coach of the Giants (2004-15). Prior to Coach Coughlin, Jim Fassel's (1997-2003) teams delivered four (4) kickoff touchdowns during his era, with two (2) of them coming during the 2000 NFL Playoffs and one (1) in Super Bowl XXXV. Finally, in the Dan Reeves era (1993-96), one (1) kickoff touchdown was scored in 1995.

Prior to 1972, it wasn't that the Giants couldn't return kickoffs for touchdowns, as Rocky Thompson managed his first in 1971. Prior to that, you have to go back to Clarence Childs in 1964 and 1966, Johnny Counts in 1962, a little pause dating back to Jimmy Patton in 1955, Emlen Tunnell in 1951, Jack Salscheider in 1949, Joe Scott in 1948, Harry Newman in 1934, Jack Hagerty in 1929.

So, it was that anomaly between 1972 and 1992 where there was a kickoff touchdown drought for the Giants where I wondered if Rocky Thompson would be immortalized if they'd never score another one again. This video is living proof that Rocky could finally get some peace away from the New York spotlight.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 19, 2024, 10:55:20 AMhttps://x.com/BigBlueVCR/status/1770072739644407980?s=20

One of the great TD runs in Giants' history. If you watch the play closely from the TV angle presented, it's as if it's a wintry mix of rain and snow when Bradshaw takes the handoff. By the time he starts to break away around the 30, it's become a flurry turning into snowfall. As he charges towards the end-zone, it's a full-out blizzard! Just one of the coolest phenomenon caught on tape during a playoff-securing touchdown run.

Great memories, and only the beginning of memories which remain burned vivid in our minds today and shall forever.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kartanoman

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 24, 2024, 09:12:59 AMhttps://x.com/BigBlueVCR/status/1771880896469090346?s=20

Tom Flynn, yes, remember him well! He scored the other two blocked punt TDs on the opening game if the next two seasons (1987 @ Chicago, 1988 vs. Washington).

Flynn was a depth roster spot at safety and, sadly, his final play as a Giant came in the 1988 season's mind-blowing loss to the Jets as a depleted Giants'secondary had him trying to cover Al Toon who caught the winner for Gang Green. That loss cost the Giants the Eastern Division Championship, and the 49ers rolling over like dogs to the Rams later that night eliminated the Giants from the playoffs altogether. It took me several decades to get over the frustration and angst of 1988.

But back to Tom Flynn, I actually went to college with his younger brother. He stopped coming over my dorm when his brother was having a rough go on the field. I think he transferred to Albany State the next semester. Never heard from him again.

Peace!

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE