News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Let's talk about Jayden Daniels

Started by Jclayton92, February 21, 2024, 06:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jclayton92

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on February 21, 2024, 07:45:21 PMI called the SEC the best conference, not the best defensive conference. And if it's not the best defensive conference it's surely the second best. In any event he put up legit numbers against Bama, which as you know is full of NFL starters on D every year.

Bottom line he excelled in a top conference.
Ehhh But was the BIG the best defensive conference? I'd argue that most all of the teams in the conference just all had horrible offenses.

Penn st had arguably the best defense in the country and ole miss put up 540 total yards on them with ease.

Tennessee in a down year put 35 on Iowa who supposedly had an elite defense.

Just saying perception was they had the best defenses but in reality I think it was because they all played bad offenses.

sooners56

The Big 12 had the best defense. Statistically they aren't, but when you're facing the high powered offenses of the Big 12 your defense will look pedestrian 😜

As for Daniels, I am skeptical of just one magical season coupled with 4 so-so seasons. I guess it wouldn't be the first time it worked out so sign me up!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 21, 2024, 06:44:11 PMJess,

Daniels dominated almost all the stats I looked at.  He was Statistically dominant.  I guess the biggest issue will be he was only really dominant his last season (add in he is on the older side).

I will confess, I haven't yet watched a lot of film on him.

I am not sure he will fall to the Giants.  From what I am hearing this early is Maye is more likely to drop.
I listened to a podcast you mentioned the other day from the GM Shuffle called the Lying Season or something like that.  I'm not believing any of the stories about players moving up or down especially a few months before the draft.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 21, 2024, 09:21:46 PMEhhh But was the BIG the best defensive conference? I'd argue that most all of the teams in the conference just all had horrible offenses.

Penn st had arguably the best defense in the country and ole miss put up 540 total yards on them with ease.

Just saying perception was they had the best defenses but in reality I think it was because they all played bad offenses.

I agree but I wasn't going to get into a back and forth about the two conferences when that's not really the topic. The point is, Daniels put up superb numbers against top notch competition. That's the bottom line here. I agree with you about the SEC but I wasn't going to get into a pointless pissing contest about that side-topic.

Jclayton92

If anyone has time I think the LSU vs Ole Miss was game of the year this past season and shows Daniels at his best while also showing what Dart, a potential Heisman contender this coming season can do.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 21, 2024, 09:21:46 PMEhhh But was the BIG the best defensive conference? I'd argue that most all of the teams in the conference just all had horrible offenses.

I actually think it was a combo.  Some good defenses and aome really bad offenses.

I also dint look at single game exceptions.

As to the SEC vs Big 10 debate, I think over the past 15-20 years teams ranked 2-3 to last were pretty even between the conferences however the SEC's top team dominated over either conference.

sxdxca38

I personally like Jayden Daniels but make no mistake he will not fall to the Giants.

The Giants have no shot at Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, or Jayden Daniels.

Washington traded away there two DE's to tank the season for the QB.

New England is done with Mac Jones and prepared to draft their guy.

The Bears will not pass up on a phenom like Caleb Williams and will either trade Justin Fields or hold on to him for one more year till Caleb is ready.

It would be nice if this was a possibility that the Giants could get him, but that is just a fantasy that will never transpire.

MightyGiants

The concern I have been hearing about Daniels is that he is too thin/light.  Combine that with his very aggressive running style and there is fear for his durability in the NFL.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 25, 2024, 09:57:57 AMThe concern I have been hearing about Daniels is that he is too thin/light.  Combine that with his very aggressive running style and there is fear for his durability in the NFL.
Rich: If that's his greatest NFL deficiency, he is a guaranteed "hit" because as you know it's easily fixable. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

katkavage

Quote from: MightyGiants on February 25, 2024, 09:57:57 AMThe concern I have been hearing about Daniels is that he is too thin/light.  Combine that with his very aggressive running style and there is fear for his durability in the NFL.
Yes it's a concern. Has he been hurt frequently because he runs. Size matters, yes but the big QB the Giants have gets hurt frequently. His running style is a reason why. The kids still doesn't know to slide properly. He stays upright too long leaving him prone to hits. Daniels might be a more instinctive runner protecting his body. I don't know.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on February 25, 2024, 10:18:09 AMRich: If that's his greatest NFL deficiency, he is a guaranteed "hit" because as you know it's easily fixable. Bob

Bob,

The college strength and conditioning programs are on par with the NFL (at least in the major programs).  I think it's somewhat of a myth that players will be able to add substantial weight when they get to the NFL.  I think if the prospect is younger (20 or 21), there is still some room to grow, but if you got a man 22 or older, I think the potential to put on more weight (especially without sacrificing speed and agility) is limited. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: sxdxca38 on February 22, 2024, 09:37:57 PMI personally like Jayden Daniels but make no mistake he will not fall to the Giants.

The Giants have no shot at Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, or Jayden Daniels.

Washington traded away there two DE's to tank the season for the QB.

New England is done with Mac Jones and prepared to draft their guy.

The Bears will not pass up on a phenom like Caleb Williams and will either trade Justin Fields or hold on to him for one more year till Caleb is ready.

It would be nice if this was a possibility that the Giants could get him, but that is just a fantasy that will never transpire.

The patriots have made it clear that they have interest in trading their pick. Most inside their organization think they are a couple years away from needing a Qb.

sxdxca38

Quote from: Jclayton92 on February 25, 2024, 11:16:37 AMThe patriots have made it clear that they have interest in trading their pick. Most inside their organization think they are a couple years away from needing a Qb.

Really? I would love that to be true. May I ask, do you have a link or a source that you could share?

Thanks

DaveBrown74

I want to see his official weight at the combine. If he's 210 or more (I see 210 for him online) then I am personally not unduly concerned about this topic. He may be less than that though, I don't know. We'll have to see.

Rosehill Jimmy

FWIW, I remember some folks suggesting Davonte Smith's slight frame was a reason to avoid him
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"