News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

No 40 time for JJ McCarthy at least not at the Combine

Started by MightyGiants, March 01, 2024, 08:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Two possibilities.  First, since he played so late into the new year (with the championship and all) and immediately went to training, he did strain his hamstring.  Possibility two is that they don't like his current 40 time (they do test these things) and is using a tight hammy excuse to give him more time to prepare and he would be running on the traditionally more friendly Pro Day track (most players perform better times at their Pro Days than at the Combine). 

It's also possible that McCarthy bulked up so his weigh-in would look better, and he needs to shed that weight prior to running.

https://x.com/ProFootballTalk/status/1763556110366093446?s=20
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

For a QB, I dont care about a 40 time.  He's beating you with his arm.  He needs to be elusive.  That matters more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 08:52:35 AMFor a QB, I dont care about a 40 time.  He's beating you with his arm.  He needs to be elusive.  That matters more.

Same here. I think McCarthy has more than ample mobility. If I'm using the sixth pick in the draft on him I need to be convinced I'm drafting him for his ability to he an upper echelon passer in this league.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 08:54:09 AMSame here. I think McCarthy has more than ample mobility. If I'm using the sixth pick in the draft on him I need to be convinced I'm drafting him for his ability to he an upper echelon passer in this league.

Well said. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 01, 2024, 08:52:35 AMFor a QB, I dont care about a 40 time.  He's beating you with his arm.  He needs to be elusive.  That matters more.

JJ didn't run all that much at Michigan.  A really good 40 time would help him boost his stock a bit.  JJ hasn't cemented his draft position as the top 3 appeared to have done, so everything is more important to him.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 08:59:48 AMJJ didn't run all that much at Michigan.  A really good 40 time would help him boost his stock a bit.  JJ hasn't cemented his draft position as the top 3 appeared to have done, so everything is more important to him.

I noticed he didn't run a ton either, which was slightly curious given it was a ground based offense. I also noticed his yards per carry weren't anything to write home about by QB standards.

Whether he can run a 4.5 or a 4.6 doesn't matter to me that much. If we were to draft him, we're not drafting him to be Lamar Jackson.

But anytime a player opts out of a certain event at the combine, I generally take that to mean he and his reps think his outcome won't or might not be as good as the narrative, or he has some sort of injury that isn't fully public. You don't just blow off the 40 if your time is super impressive (relative to the narrative) and you're operating at peak health. That would make zero sense.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 01, 2024, 09:12:23 AMI noticed he didn't run a ton either, which was slightly curious given it was a ground based offense. I also noticed his yards per carry weren't anything to write home about by QB standards.

Whether he can run a 4.5 or a 4.6 doesn't matter to me that much. If we were to draft him, we're not drafting him to be Lamar Jackson.

But anytime a player opts out of a certain event at the combine, I generally take that to mean he and his reps think his outcome won't or might not be as good as the narrative, or he has some sort of injury that isn't fully public. You don't just blow off the 40 if your time is super impressive (relative to the narrative) and you're operating at peak health. That would make zero sense.

I think part of the reason McCarthy didn't rush more is that his mindset was to still figure out a throw even when he was forced to scamble (and he usually figured something out).
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

JJ is not a run first QB so a 40 time might matter more.  When he is scrambling he is looking to throw as his #1 priority.  On QB designed runs, he runs fast enough and with moves.  Look at Daniel Jones as his comp for running.  Jones is a fine runner for a QB.  Neither is a Michael Vick, but neither are 99% of other NFL QBs.

President Rick

to paraphrase Jim Mora - - -   Injury?  Injury??  Injury???

isn't that one reason some folks are so down on DJ? 
Isn't that why waller has become golloday 2.0??
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: President Rick on March 01, 2024, 09:32:22 AMto paraphrase Jim Mora - - -   Injury?  Injury??  Injury???

"Has become"?

Waller was damaged goods when we acquired him. If he weren't, the price would have been much, much higher than an end of third round pick.

MightyGiants

Quote from: President Rick on March 01, 2024, 09:32:22 AMto paraphrase Jim Mora - - -   Injury?  Injury??  Injury???

If McCarthy does have a tight hamstring, I wouldn't consider it much of an issue.  The only QB prospect to put in as much football was Penix.   The two of them played the longest and didn't have the luxury of rest before training for the Combine.  There are bound to be fatigue issues.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

Red flag! I mean if Williams is getting red flagged for every little decision, let's be fair and throw the red flag here too!!!
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

MightyGiants

Quote from: sooners56 on March 01, 2024, 10:01:52 AMRed flag! I mean if Williams is getting red flagged for every little decision, let's be fair and throw the red flag here too!!!

Are you comparing the first player (since the Combine started in 1985) to refuse a medical with the relatively common practice of a QB not running in the Combine?   There are some minor concerns with McCarthy, but I have a hard time equating that with the historic decision by Williams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

sooners56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 01, 2024, 10:04:18 AMAre you comparing the first player (since the Combine started in 1985) to refuse a medical with the relatively common practice of a QB not running in the Combine?   There are some minor concerns with McCarthy, but I have a hard time equating that with the historic decision by Williams.

With McCarthy, the biggest red flag is his own coach didnt trust him to throw them to a victory.

With Williams, Deion Sanders did something similar to what Williams is doing and I think Sanders turned out alright and I believe Williams will as well.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!