News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Sign OT Matt Nelson

Started by killarich, March 21, 2024, 10:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosehill Jimmy

UFA in 2019 and spent the year on PS as he transitioned to OL. Been on 53 since 2020.  Started a handful of games Most action was in 2021 when he appeared in 13 games, starting 11
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Sem

Camp body, or Swing Tackle keeping Neal at RT, and pushing Eluemunor to Guard?

londonblue

Just the 5 new OL in free agency so far to start, back-up or compete. Do you think Schoen saw it as a problem?  /sarcasm/
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Ed Vette

The term of the day is Jumbo. Or Camp Fodder, depending on your perspective.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Matt Nelson
T #67

Detroit Lions
DOB
1995-12-19 (28.2)

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

If this guy makes the team that's not a good sign.

Trench

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 07:01:38 PMIf this guy makes the team that's not a good sign.

I disagree. Who's to say coaching, maturity, development and hard work won't allow this guy to take the next step?....we should give our new oline coach the benefit of the doubt

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Trench on March 22, 2024, 09:16:36 PMI disagree. Who's to say coaching, maturity, development and hard work won't allow this guy to take the next step?....we should give our new oline coach the benefit of the doubt

That is a perfectly reasonable point in general, but you can say that about basically any cast-off we pick up off the street then.

I'm also not sure about the "maturity" point, as he is 28. If he actually needs more maturity at age 28, I would suggest that sounds problematic in and of itself. Personally, I hope that's not the case. I don't want immature veterans in our locker room.

Moreover, the Lions seem to know what they're doing as far as O line development goes. They have a top three unit in the league. If this guy had any value, even as a depth/swing tackle, I struggle to see them letting him go to get signed for veteran minimum type money somewhere else.

With all that said, could he be a little bit better than Peart? Perhaps, but that's not really saying anything.

MightyGiants

Quote from: londonblue on March 22, 2024, 06:41:54 AMJust the 5 new OL in free agency so far to start, back-up or compete. Do you think Schoen saw it as a problem?  /sarcasm/

Do you remember how confident Schoen was last off-season that he had fixed the O-line?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 23, 2024, 08:47:19 AMDo you remember how confident Schoen was last off-season that he had fixed the O-line?

He was confident, but things didn't work out. I doubt anyone was more unhappy about the line than Schoen. So he went out and made the biggest (and best) decision before picking up more free agents...and that was firing Bobby Johnson and hiring Carmen Bricillo. This was long overdue and should have a bigger effect than anything else in fixing (knock on wood) the line, than replenishing the line with different bodies
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

londonblue

Nobody can fault Schoen's commitment to fixing the OL. We can only hope it works better this year than last.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 07:01:38 PMIf this guy makes the team that's not a good sign.

He has a pretty good pass blocking score, which could be a plus if they are transitioning to a more pass oriented attack.  And maybe it is the fact that Detroit had a top 3 unit that made him surplus to requirements.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Gman329

Feels like we're just throwing a lot of mediocracy at the situation. 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 23, 2024, 01:20:35 PMHe has a pretty good pass blocking score, which could be a plus if they are transitioning to a more pass oriented attack.  And maybe it is the fact that Detroit had a top 3 unit that made him surplus to requirements.

The pass blocking score I assume you're looking at is for 85 snaps out of the 1,072 worth in the provided data. The other 987 snaps seem to consistently be in the 45-53 range for pass-blocking, which is clearly not good.