News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants at JJ's Pro Day

Started by MightyGiants, March 22, 2024, 08:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

Trading up from the 6-hole to take the 4th QB off the board would be a tough one to swallow.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 05:53:14 PMTrading up from the 6-hole to take the 4th QB off the board would be a tough one to swallow.

Is it a trade up in general?

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 22, 2024, 06:46:54 PMIs it a trade up in general?

Not sure I understand the question. Do you mean is it a "trade-up" from our current QB?

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 22, 2024, 06:51:34 PMNot sure I understand the question. Do you mean is it a "trade-up" from our current QB?

I misread your post.

What if 3 QB have not yet been drafted and they trade up to get JJ at say 4?  Say other position players get drafted so there are 2-3 QBs available at 4? 

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 22, 2024, 07:22:29 PMI misread your post.

What if 3 QB have not yet been drafted and they trade up to get JJ at say 4?  Say other position players get drafted so there are 2-3 QBs available at 4? 

At the end of the day, I'm supportive of moving up to get a player we firmly believe is capable of being a franchise QB for this team. If we feel that way about the fourth QB off the board, and it's not a case of us stretching to address a need, then I'm fine with it. If we like JJ more than one or more of Maye, Williams, and Daniels, and we move up to get him, I'm going to put my faith that Schoen and his team know what they're doing and I'll be supportive.

I just want this franchise to turn itself around and become a winner again. No matter what, that's highly unlikely to happen in 2024, but if we draft a QB, it has a chance of happening in the future. So if we think McCarthy is that guy, then have at him.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

I think he looked very good.  Threw from a variety of places and angles from his body.

He looks a bit bigger to me as well.  I'd guess 215 pounds.

Painter

As I see it, it makes no sense for the Giants to trade-up for JJ McCarthy. I don't like the cost/risk/reward calculus in doing so. Of course, then assuming that someone else hasn't jumped the Giant's shark, the question would become, will they take McCarthy at 6? Right now, I'd rate the odds as even, that is 50/50, and a little less for a trade-back. Quien sabe?

Cheers!

AZGiantFan

I can't get past the fact that while he thrived it was on a team where the conditions were almost perfect.  And Eli, DJ, Tyrod, and even DeVito can testify that the Giants haven't managed competent conditions, let alone nearly perfect conditions, in ten years.

A lot of you say that an elite QB can transform a whole team.  Maybe so, and maybe JJ can do that.  But, IMO, there isn't any evidence of that because his college team was excellent across the board and didn't need transforming.  I fear that if they take him before they have come a lot closer to competent or even good conditions he will just go the way of Jones.  It looks to me as if a lot of fans are talking themselves into him.  I hope that is not also happening with Schoen.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 23, 2024, 01:02:12 PMI can't get past the fact that while he thrived it was on a team where the conditions were almost perfect.  And Eli, DJ, Tyrod, and even DeVito can testify that the Giants haven't managed competent conditions, let alone nearly perfect conditions, in ten years.

A lot of you say that an elite QB can transform a whole team.  Maybe so, and maybe JJ can do that.  But, IMO, there isn't any evidence of that because his college team was excellent across the board and didn't need transforming.  I fear that if they take him before they have come a lot closer to competent or even good conditions he will just go the way of Jones.  It looks to me as if a lot of fans are talking themselves into him.  I hope that is not also happening with Schoen.

If you consider pass blocking and receiving the two most critical elements supporting a QB, then consider.

PFF does a college version

Michigan ranked 50th in pass protection
they ranked 6th in receiving

I wouldn't characterize those conditions as perfect, and in terms of the top 6 QBs, those conditions are about middle of the pack.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Assuming the Giants want to pick a QB this year and want McCarthy, I sincerely hope the question they are answering by attending his workout is NOT "should we take McCarthy at six" but rather "how far down can we trade in the 1st round and still get him?" or "how far up from our 2nd pick do we have to move to get him in low 1st round or early 2nd round?" Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

Every prospect has risk.  Just hope they dont have to give up draft capital cuz we need as much as possible.

My one fear ia thia.  Taking any player at 6 we think has a 50-50 shot to be very good versus not taking another player who almost assuredly will be very good.

Philosophers

Here's one question you should ask yourself - of the 4 QBs who will stand there to make the throw last second knowing he is going to get blasted in an open stance with ribs exposed?  I know one.  Not sure about the others.

sooners56

He sure was ripping it in those videos. Looked good at his Pro Day. He was a 5 Star Recruit so it is not surprising he did well at his pro day. I would assume the Vikings are expecting to trade up for him or another QB. When all is said and done, McCarthy just may be a Giant and I am not sure how I feel about it. Early on I was definitely against it, but with more and more people liking McCarthy it seems, I think I may be starting to fall into that group thinking.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!