News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

I feel like the 2004 draft all over again

Started by MightyGiants, March 25, 2024, 08:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Before that draft, there was so much excitement and mystery.

The Giants had Kerry Collins at QB so what they would do picking 4th was anyone's guess.

There was a good chance they might draft Iowa's LT Robert Gallery, who was projected to be an All-Pro LT, and whose failings sparked the arm-length obsession with OTs (short arms were the excuse for him ending up just being an okay guard).

If they didn't go Gallery, there were two QBs who seemed pretty exciting (Eli Manning was expected to be gone by 4) in Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers.  The Giants might even trade down a bit and then draft one.

With all that anticipation, it was quite the curve ball when the Giants drafted Phillip Rivers and turned about and made this blockbuster trade-  San Diego traded Manning to the New York Giants in exchange for Philip Rivers and the Giants' third-round selection in this draft (#65) and their first- and fifth-round selections in 2005

So here we are 20 years later.   The Giants might trade up for a quarterback, sit and draft a quarterback, draft an elite wide receiver, or trade down.   What they will do is anyone's guess and very much like the lead-up to 2004.  My only hope is that this draft proves to be as positively impactful as the draft 20 years ago.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich: Probably because you're more "caught up" in the possibility that the Giants will take a QB than I am.

My relative disregard for this QB class is probably what prevented me from falling into that same hole.

I'd say if the Giants were at Pick Four (as they were in 2004) it might be different.

But the real difference is the quality of the QB's available back then, IMO.

I still believe only one (at most) of the high-1st-round QB's drafted this year will succeed.

Bob

PS. Again... I'm not saying they won't take a QB. Like everyone else, I have absolutely no idea what they'll do, but I will be excited by whomever they select (among WR and QB) because I'll be certain they believe in that man A WHOLE LOT to take a player at either one of those positions so high up.
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!