News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Mara from the owner's meeting

Started by MightyGiants, March 25, 2024, 01:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 25, 2024, 02:35:43 PMThe Giants are in a tough position.  Normally, a team would just cut the guy and take the roughly $6 million in cap savings.  However, since the Giants spent a third-round pick on him, it would be embarrassing if all the Giants netted for that pick was a partial (due to injuries) one-year rental.  So the Giants are just going to give him all the time he needs, hoping he decides to come back.

The Giants shouldn't be worried about being embarrassed over this.  We have a whole long thread about things the Giants should be far more embarrassed by. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

We have heard the expression 'Coach Speak' and now we have "Owner Speak'.

And t he beat just goes on......................

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

londonblue

It is smoke season. By and large I think the Giants ownership & GM play it fairly straight.

I think the messaging that Jones is the presumptive starting QB if fit but there is no barrier to adding someone to compete if the right opportunity presents is pretty much true. It does mean we will take a QB.

It certainly does not mean we will (or will not) take one in round one or on day two or day three. It does not tell us where it sits on our priority list or what else is on our priority list. We also do not have full control over our own destiny.

It is full on smoke season so it is best not to over analyse or over react to anything anyone says or to any new rumour. The truth will become reality in one month.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 25, 2024, 02:35:43 PMThe Giants are in a tough position.  Normally, a team would just cut the guy and take the roughly $6 million in cap savings.  However, since the Giants spent a third-round pick on him, it would be embarrassing if all the Giants netted for that pick was a partial (due to injuries) one-year rental.  So the Giants are just going to give him all the time he needs, hoping he decides to come back.

Hopefully they don't give in to the sunk cost fallacy purely because they're worried about being embarrassed.

Stringer Bell

AYM

I just hope this means he and the other Maras are done meddling.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Pretty clear from all this that while Mara may still have plenty of personal affinity for Jones, he is not going to stand in the way of Schoen/Daboll and co going in a different direction.

"Everyone in the building wants to see Jones succeed, BUT ....."

Pretty different tone from a year ago.

MightyGiants

Daboll's comportment on the sideline and the way he treats his coaching staff came into question as the losses piled up last season and hints of unrest in the ranks bubbled to the surface.

"There are times where I wish he would tone it down a little bit, but I'm also in the team meetings and I see how he acts around people and his coaches in the office,'' Mara said. "He always maintains his cool there. Does he get excitable during the games sometimes? Yeah. So do I. I don't think it's a major issue.''

If he saw signs it was turning into a major issue?

"I want him to be himself, at the end of the day,'' Mara said. "If I ever get to the point where I think he's acting irrationally and it's affecting his performance, I certainly would have a word with him about it. But I have not seen that.''

Mara, who is in the building and watches practice every day, said he believes the Daboll-Martindale friction was "overblown'' in terms of how they interacted during the season.

"I mean, were there times when they had some disagreements?'' Mara said. "Yeah, but not to the point where it became an issue. After the season did it blow up? Absolutely it did, as you know. But I never felt it was a big issue during the season at all.''

Mara went on to say, "I still very firmly believe Brian is the right guy for us going forward.''

https://nypost.com/2024/03/25/sports/john-mara-still-all-in-on-giants-joe-schoen-and-brian-daboll/?utm_campaign=iphone_nyp&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE