News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Bills trading Diggs to the Texans for a 2025 2nd rounder

Started by MightyGiants, April 03, 2024, 11:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philosophers

Bills reduce their payroll substantially and likely get a top WR for Allen in 1st or 2nd round.  This is about managing their budget.

AZGiantFan

Strange, I was told that a franchise QB should be able to overcome mediocre receivers and a bad OL,and yet here the loss of a receiver is treated as the death knell of the Bill's hopes.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Gman329

When I first saw this, i said, where the hell were the Giants? But then I see he's got four years and 75 mil left on his contract......and he's already 30. Just as glad he's going elsewhere.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Brooklyn Dave

Couldn't we have matched that deal ? And then with the 6th pick we could draft Bowers , Ault , anoter wide receiver , Murphy from Texas , a QB

sooners56

Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

AZGiantFan

Quote from: Brooklyn Dave on April 03, 2024, 02:12:57 PMCouldn't we have matched that deal ? And then with the 6th pick we could draft Bowers , Ault , anoter wide receiver , Murphy from Texas , a QB

We couldn't match that because we don't have the CAP space.  I know some fans ignore the CAP (not saying you're one of them) and say that is something for the team to deal with, but the reality the CAP is real and ignoring it greatly limits the reality of fan suggestions if not taken into account.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

DaveBrown74

I don't mind this trade for the Bills at all. Diggs turns 31 during this upcoming season, which is up there for a receiver. He showed signs of decline last year, and he was also a pain in the neck during the season.

This draft is loaded for receivers. There will be good ones throughout the second round.

As for whether the Bills' SB window is closed, my answer to that would be no. They wouldn't be one of my top three picks to win it this year, but when you have a QB like Allen you're never out of the picture completely. I am not saying Allen is as good as Mahomes, because he's not, but people acted like the Chiefs were screwed when they traded Hill (who is a lot better than Diggs), and it didn't matter. The only one the subsequent two Super Bowls. I'm not saying the two situations are the same, but I think having a top 3 or 4 QB in the league in the teeth of his prime is gold, so the Bills will remain a contender IMO.

andrew_nyGiants

So glad he didn't go to the Cowgirls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

uconnjack8

The Bills finally traded away a WR for picks rather than the opposite.  I guess they had to with Allen's 63 million dollar cap hit coming up in a couple of years. For whatever reason the Allen -Diggs connection while still prolific, declined in terms of completion %.

I get the impression the trade might have been more due to Diggs issues with the team, which makes me wonder why the Texans felt the need to bring in a 30 year old WR when they have 2 young guys on the cheap.

Will be interesting to see if he is satisfied if he doesnt get 150+ targets like he did Buffalo.

brownelvis54

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 03, 2024, 11:36:59 AMHas the Bills' Super Bowl window shut?

Not even close. The draft is loaded at WR. They could draft one at 23 and have him for 5 years cheap. I would rather have the Bills problem than the Giants right now
The KING is in the building

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

StompYouOT

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on April 03, 2024, 05:02:59 PMI don't mind this trade for the Bills at all. Diggs turns 31 during this upcoming season, which is up there for a receiver. He showed signs of decline last year, and he was also a pain in the neck during the season.

This draft is loaded for receivers. There will be good ones throughout the second round.

As for whether the Bills' SB window is closed, my answer to that would be no. They wouldn't be one of my top three picks to win it this year, but when you have a QB like Allen you're never out of the picture completely. I am not saying Allen is as good as Mahomes, because he's not, but people acted like the Chiefs were screwed when they traded Hill (who is a lot better than Diggs), and it didn't matter. The only one the subsequent two Super Bowls. I'm not saying the two situations are the same, but I think having a top 3 or 4 QB in the league in the teeth of his prime is gold, so the Bills will remain a contender IMO.

I live in Buffalo and think the same - it's a good move.  Allen is the franchise and there will be a revolving door of a supporting cast over his 15 years or so tenure.  Diggs was no longer part of the future, I will keep replaying the KC drop in my mind.  After complaining about not getting the ball.  We will get a more physical and versatile WR this draft and on a rookie contract.  It's just the dead cap that hurts, but next spring that's gone.

Thanks to Diggs for an awesome run and he was great with the fans, kids especially.  Just the reality of the business.  I don't think 2024 is The Bills' year, but the next chapter in the Allen saga begins.  I think a trade-up could happen and did think about The Giants.