News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

When is trading back too far?

Started by brownelvis54, April 05, 2024, 12:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownelvis54

Rumor has it that Tennessee, Atlanta and Cincinnati all want a Left Tackle. Joe Alt seems to be the top Left Tackle in the draft. If Alt is there when the Giants pick at 6, then I would get on the phone with Atlanta and Tenessee and try to get both teams in a bidding war with each other. Sliding back to 7th or 8th, the Giants should still have a very good chance of getting at least one, Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze, perhaps both would still be on board.

That brings me to Cincinnati. Would you trade back to 18th if you were the GM? I know you would get a very good player at 18, but without a doubt the top 3 WRs would be long gone. So would you?
The KING is in the building

Philosophers

Quote from: brownelvis54 on April 05, 2024, 12:48:09 PMRumor has it that Tennessee, Atlanta and Cincinnati all want a Left Tackle. Joe Alt seems to be the top Left Tackle in the draft. If Alt is there when the Giants pick at 6, then I would get on the phone with Atlanta and Tenessee and try to get both teams in a bidding war with each other. Sliding back to 7th or 8th, the Giants should still have a very good chance of getting at least one, Malik Nabers or Rome Odunze, perhaps both would still be on board.

That brings me to Cincinnati. Would you trade back to 18th if you were the GM? I know you would get a very good player at 18, but without a doubt the top 3 WRs would be long gone. So would you?

I believe strongly the Chargers at 5 are going to take Alt as JH wants to big time running game to help Herbert.

If we dont go QB, I'd be thrilled to drop back to 18 and get a lot of valuable capital.  We can land maybe Brian Thomas, Byron Murphy, or someone that is likely a day 1 productive starter plus what the other picks get us.

MightyGiants

I think most would say there are 8 blue chip prospects in this draft (7 if you don't count TEs)-  Williams, Maye, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, Alt, and Turner

So if you drop below 7 or 8 you are greatly reducing your chances of drafting a blue chip player (not precluding it though as history has repeatedly shown).

So if you drop below 8 you have to have a good reason like:

You feel the team has too many holes and you need as many picks as possible to fill those holes

You are building draft capital for next years draft with an eye to hopefully acquiring a QB

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

londonblue

It really depends on what our actual priority position to draft (excluding QB) is and how strongly we feel about it.

If it one of the big 3 WR or bust then likely 8 with Atlanta is as far back as we can possibly go as both Chicago and the Jets could take a WR if a top 3 guy slides.

If we are OK with WR4 or one of the top couple of CB then 11-14 should be possible.

If we are happy to take one of the top two DT or a RT/G swing guy targeting eg WR, CB day 2 then maybe late teens is workable. I only make a trade with Cincy if we are thinking like this.

Adding mid round picks can be nice but only if we have a very clear plan of how we are stacking and attacking the draft that justifies the blue chip guys we trade out from.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

sooners56

I am staying at 6 and taking a blue chip WR, unless the Titans want to trade up one spot to take the LT and assure us they are not taking WR. I am only trading with Atlanta if they are giving us Pitts or Bijon.
Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2024, 12:56:51 PMI think most would say there are 8 blue chip prospects in this draft (7 if you don't count TEs)-  Williams, Maye, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, Alt, and Turner

So if you drop below 7 or 8 you are greatly reducing your chances of drafting a blue chip player (not precluding it though as history has repeatedly shown).

You feel the team has too many holes and you need as many picks as possible to fill those holes

You are building draft capital for next years draft with an eye to hopefully acquiring a QB

That's what they say every year then 4 of top 7 underperform and 3rd rounders become All Pro.

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: MightyGiants on April 05, 2024, 12:56:51 PMI think most would say there are 8 blue chip prospects in this draft (7 if you don't count TEs)-  Williams, Maye, MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Bowers, Alt, and Turner

On the other hand, if the 4 QBs go off the board coming out of the gate, then 6 of the blue chippers will be sitting there beginning with pick #5 (LAC). You could then drop and additional 2 slots to #10.  Anxious to see what the Cardinals do at #4. What they decide could affect the top portion of the draft
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

brownelvis54

Quote from: Rosehill Jimmy on April 05, 2024, 05:28:47 PMOn the other hand, if the 4 QBs go off the board coming out of the gate, then 6 of the blue chippers will be sitting there beginning with pick #5 (LAC). You could then drop and additional 2 slots to #10.  Anxious to see what the Cardinals do at #4. What they decide could affect the top portion of the draft

Thnik they take Harrison Jr. Atlanta or Tennessee takes Alt, the latter take Nabers or Odunze, leaving a WR for us...if we traded back to 8 with Atlanta
The KING is in the building

EDjohnst1981

Stay at six. Take the QB or WR you like. One will be there.

I'd be shocked if chargers a) take an O Line or be trade out of that spot - unless it's to the Giants who are stopping a team trading up for a QB.

coggs

6 --> 18 is too far to trade back in one shot.  One thing if they traded back to 8, then to 11, then to 14, then to 18. 

Philosophers

Quote from: coggs on April 05, 2024, 10:00:45 PM6 --> 18 is too far to trade back in one shot.  One thing if they traded back to 8, then to 11, then to 14, then to 18. 

That only happens on pfn mock draft simulator not a real draft.