News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The 7 Covid positive tests of the NY Yankees

Started by MightyGiants, May 13, 2021, 09:43:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

I have to say I am a bit troubled by the fact that 7 Yankees Employees (all vaccinated) tested positive for Covid.   I appreciate that the Yankees had passed the 85% vaccination rate so they were able to ease restrictions, but seven positives tests are somewhat troubling.  From what I understand the Yankees went with the less effective J and J vaccine.   

What I am troubled by is that the Yankee's organization had reached our goal of "herd immunity" yet the disease was able to infect 7 people.   Now the good news is that I don't think any of the 7 have shown symptoms (or at least significant symptoms).   The bad news is that the virus had 7 chances among this herd immune group to mutate and perhaps find a more effective way to defeat our vaccine.   

I don't think this is a be all or end all data point, but it's a less than ideal and a little bit worrisome

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 13, 2021, 09:43:57 AM
I have to say I am a bit troubled by the fact that 7 Yankees Employees (all vaccinated) tested positive for Covid.   I appreciate that the Yankees had passed the 85% vaccination rate so they were able to ease restrictions, but seven positives tests are somewhat troubling.  From what I understand the Yankees went with the less effective J and J vaccine.   

What I am troubled by is that the Yankee's organization had reached our goal of "herd immunity" yet the disease was able to infect 7 people.   Now the good news is that I don't think any of the 7 have shown symptoms (or at least significant symptoms).   The bad news is that the virus had 7 chances among this herd immune group to mutate and perhaps find a more effective way to defeat our vaccine.   

I don't think this is a be all or end all data point, but it's a less than ideal and a little bit worrisome

In addition they can pass this on to anyone else they come in contact with. My niece had the J&J and this is concerning.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 13, 2021, 10:03:22 AM
In addition they can pass this on to anyone else they come in contact with. My niece had the J&J and this is concerning.

Good point, Ed.    J and J likes to talk about its near 100% effectiveness against hospitalization and death.   

I really have two different mindsets on this issue.  I already discussed my concerned side in terms of mutations or variations possibly defeating our vaccines.   On the other hand, if J and J are as effective against hospitalization and death, is it a matter of changing our mindset about Covid and treating it more like the flu a contagious disease that we generally don't let change our (society's) behavior.  I mean could we get to a point where Covid is just another thing you might get sick from and stay home for a few days and that's it?

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 13, 2021, 10:12:49 AM
Good point, Ed.    J and J likes to talk about its near 100% effectiveness against hospitalization and death.   

I really have two different mindsets on this issue.  I already discussed my concerned side in terms of mutations or variations possibly defeating our vaccines.   On the other hand, if J and J are as effective against hospitalization and death, is it a matter of changing our mindset about Covid and treating it more like the flu a contagious disease that we generally don't let change our (society's) behavior.  I mean could we get to a point where Covid is just another thing you might get sick from and stay home for a few days and that's it?

The danger is passing it on to an unvaccinated person who then is at grave risk. There are many people who can't be vaccinated due to health issues and allergic responses. Then there are the plain anti-vaxers.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 13, 2021, 10:19:37 AM
The danger is passing it on to an unvaccinated person who then is at grave risk. There are many people who can't be vaccinated due to health issues and allergic responses. Then there are the plain anti-vaxers.

Ed,

I double-checked.  The CDC is pretty much recommending the vaccine for everyone.  Although they have qualified that some groups may not (they don't know at this point) get the same level of protection from the vaccine

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/recommendations/underlying-conditions.html?s_cid=10485:who%20should%20not%20get%20the%20covid%2019%20vaccine:sem.ga:p:RG:GM:gen:PTN:FY21
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

CDC just opened up to the science. Vaccinated don't need to wear masks indoor or out with a few exceptions.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 14, 2021, 09:07:52 AM
CDC just opened up to the science. Vaccinated don't need to wear masks indoor or out with a few exceptions.

While the Yankees are up to 8 who are infected.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Sem

The Yanks got the J&J vaccine. I too received the J&J vaccine back during the first week in March. When I got it they told me I would have significant protection in two weeks, and the full protection that the vaccine can offer in four weeks. I haven't seen an actual date the Yanks were given the vaccine, only that it was at least two weeks ago. The fact that 7 of the 8 reported are asymptomatic makes me think the shot is working as advertised. Though it is a bit troubling that so many, from a small sample size, have the virus. It makes me wonder if it's one of the variants and the J&J is somewhat less effective against it.

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on May 14, 2021, 09:26:08 AM
While the Yankees are up to 8 who are infected.   

They get tested every day. The general public with very few exceptions are not getting tested once they get vaccinated. They would be shocked to see how many are carriers with no symptoms. The CDC and the science claims that passing it on from a vaccinated person to another has a miniscule chance of spread. Not bolt of lightning chance but getting into an accident chance.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin