News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

How would you feel about this pick at number 6?

Started by DaveBrown74, March 19, 2024, 05:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveBrown74

This is who Charlie Campbell has for us a 6th in his latest mock on WalterFootball:

6.    New York Giants: Rome Odunze, WR, Washington    

The Giants need a receiver upgrade and are in great position to land a No. 1 wideout. Between Malik Nabers and Rome Odunze, New York is in a safe spot to land a mismatch weapon.

Odunze played well in 2023, making some clutch catches and using his size to be a weapon on the sideline. He finished the year having caught 87 passes for 1,640 yards and 13 touchdowns. With Michael Penix at quarterback in 2022, Odunze broke out for Washington, recording 75 receptions for 1,145 yards and seven touchdowns. Odunze (6-3, 212) has good size, but he could have problems separating from NFL defensive backs and will have to win on a lot of contested catches. Odunze is phenomenal at winning contested catches along the sideline because he is deadly on back-shoulder throws.

What would your reaction to this be, and why?

Here is the whole mock, in case anyone is interested:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2024charlie.php

londonblue

Absolutely fine. He is a better complement to our existing receivers than Nabers (though I would not complain if it was him either) and would help whoever we field at QB and demand tight coverage that can create more space for others.

Despite the comment above he has perfectly respectable speed as well (a 4.4 not 4.6 guy) with size that makes him tough to jam. He only needs a half step given his big frame and strong hands. He had no issues in college and will not do with most NFL CB. He might not separate from the truly elite NFL QBs but he can still win with size and strength against most.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jolly Blue Giant

I'd have no problem with it. At 6, I think you have to for high-value positions (QB, WR, ER) and I trust that Schoen and company are doing their research at such a level that they will get the most bang for their buck. I'd be a little disappointed if they went with Bowers at 6, but I'd get over it because he's "a generational talent", if the beat writers are correct. I don't want them to draft a lineman at 6 or a DB...that'd be a real let down for me
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

ralphpal1

Then G Jones cant be the QB
We seen what happens with a WR like this

Jersey Heel

Quote from: ralphpal1 on March 19, 2024, 06:24:11 PMThen G Jones cant be the QB
What happens?

JT39

If we don't get a QB, I'd be more than happy with Nabers or Odunze.

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jclayton92

Philosophers

I think Hakeem Nicks was only 6'0" but because he was such a great ball catcher with his hands, his radius was enormous.  That matters more to me than just size.  How he catches the ball.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: Philosophers on March 19, 2024, 07:39:22 PMI think Hakeem Nicks was only 6'0" but because he was such a great ball catcher with his hands, his radius was enormous.  That matters more to me than just size.  How he catches the ball.

Excellent point and example. Nicks was 6 foot and barely over 200, but he "played big." He also wasn't fast at all (4.63 40). And yet he was really effective. You can have all the physical gifts in the world but not everyone knows how to play. Look at Bryce Ford-Wheaton last year. Guy was a monster. We all hoped he could somehow make it work. But he couldn't. Some guys are just better football players than others, and there's a lot more to it than size and speed.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: ralphpal1 on March 19, 2024, 06:24:11 PMThen G Jones cant be the QB

When did Jones have one?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Maybe ok, maybe not. I don't want them settling for leftovers.

I'm ok w/him if only one WR is already off the board. I'll be ecstatic w/him if no WR's have yet been taken.

If 2 WR's are gone and they take him, I'll have trouble believing the explanation that "he was the WR we had highest of the three (Harrison, Odunze, Nabers).

That could be true, but I'd bet my bottom dollar they would be lying.

In short... I'm most happy when they grab the very first guy taken at his position (regardless of position).

Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

uconnjack8

I would be pretty happy with Odunze.  Have to wonder why that scouting report thinks separation will be an issue on the NFL, both the tape and the testing show that ability. 

Love his ability to make contested catches and the catching radius. 

Stringer Bell

I wouldn't have an issue, necessarily, with Odunze as the pick. Like Banks last year, Odunze is the guy I targeted early on as a preferred Giants pick.

But if I'm honest, I do find it a bit troubling to be picking WR3 with a pick as high as #6. When picking that high, you're usually getting the top guy at a position (or maybe 2 or 3 at QB). So even though I like Odunze as a player, part of me is down on the value we'd be getting picking the 3rd best guy at a less-premium position.

H-Town G-Fan

Quote from: Stringer Bell on March 20, 2024, 11:12:17 AMI wouldn't have an issue, necessarily, with Odunze as the pick. Like Banks last year, Odunze is the guy I targeted early on as a preferred Giants pick.

But if I'm honest, I do find it a bit troubling to be picking WR3 with a pick as high as #6. When picking that high, you're usually getting the top guy at a position (or maybe 2 or 3 at QB). So even though I like Odunze as a player, part of me is down on the value we'd be getting picking the 3rd best guy at a less-premium position.

I generally get this sentiment, but it doesn't account for years with particularly strong classes (and I think the sentiment is WR this year is just that). If Odunze would be a top WR in other years but-for the presence of MHJ, getting the "3rd best" in a class is relatively meaningless. It seems like selecting between Nabers and Odunze comes down to preference thing, so they're more 2A and 2B.