News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Marvin Harrison Jr will not perform at Pro Day

Started by MightyGiants, March 20, 2024, 12:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

I don't buy a single word about the NFL scouts telling him they didn't need to see him do anything on the field at his pro day. With the amount of money involved and the ramifications for drafting a bust in the top five no team is going to tell a player that they don't want any additional data points to consider.

MightyGiants

Quote from: madbadger on March 20, 2024, 02:27:24 PMI don't buy a single word about the NFL scouts telling him they didn't need to see him do anything on the field at his pro day. With the amount of money involved and the ramifications for drafting a bust in the top five no team is going to tell a player that they don't want any additional data points to consider.

HOF GM Bill Polian talked about how agents VS NFL teams view top talent.  The NFL would prefer to learn as much as possible about prospects, while agents would like to keep teams in the dark about their top clients to the fullest extent possible.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Rosehill Jimmy

Quote from: PSUBeirut on March 20, 2024, 02:06:06 PMInteresting and thanks for info- didn't realize OSU didn't have it's usual slate of prospects this year.  Very unusual!

I think I heard Tony Pauline say recently that a number of OSU prospects chose to return for another year. NIL a factor no doubt
"It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 20, 2024, 01:41:50 PMAccording to Breer

" Will be relatively quiet in Columbus, with so many high-end draft prospects choosing to stay in school, no GMs or HCs scheduled to be there."

Think that's bull.

What about TE Cade Stover, DT Michael Hall, LB Tommy Eichenberg and others?

DaveBrown74

Maybe he and his agent and/or other advisers have decided there is zero upside to doing it. If you are basically certain the top three picks are going to be QBs, and the Cards have told you they're taking you if you're there, why bother? There's an outside chance you could get hurt, and if you know for sure the Cards will take you it's just not necessary. Plus I read in the Athletic that he's willing to do private workouts with teams if they want.

There are three years (2 where he was was a key player) of tape on Harrison Jr dominating at an elite program against top competition. People know what he is capable of at this point. I don't see his stock dropping because of this.

JT39

If Harrison has been told by Arizona or SD at 4 or 5 - there's really no need to do anything.

I think Arizona has told them he won't get past them at 4.

coggs

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 20, 2024, 08:32:32 PMMaybe he and his agent and/or other advisers have decided there is zero upside to doing it. If you are basically certain the top three picks are going to be QBs, and the Cards have told you they're taking you if you're there, why bother? There's an outside chance you could get hurt, and if you know for sure the Cards will take you it's just not necessary. Plus I read in the Athletic that he's willing to do private workouts with teams if they want.

There are three years (2 where he was was a key player) of tape on Harrison Jr dominating at an elite program against top competition. People know what he is capable of at this point. I don't see his stock dropping because of this.
I completely agree with this take.  I never understand why top prospects from big programs bother with the combine or draft.  Their film should be enough.  Middle of road prospects?  Guys from smaller programs who may not have faced the top level of competition?  That is who needs to show what they can at the pro days and combine.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 20, 2024, 02:29:05 PMHOF GM Bill Polian talked about how agents VS NFL teams view top talent.  The NFL would prefer to learn as much as possible about prospects, while agents would like to keep teams in the dark about their top clients to the fullest extent possible.

While he didn't do the drills at the Combine, did he still do the medical stuff?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 21, 2024, 02:19:26 PMWhile he didn't do the drills at the Combine, did he still do the medical stuff?

It appears that MHJ did participate in the medical
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE