News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do you think Dave Gettleman would have done the last couple of drafts?

Started by shadowspinner0, March 21, 2024, 12:49:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowspinner0

It's easier to joke and say he would have taken a long snapper and a punt returner in 2021 but to be serious for a moment, what do you think Dave would have done the last two drafts given his draft patterns historically? Would he have taken Thibs and Neal or trade up a spot for Banks? Would have have taken W'andale or Hyatt? I'm actually curious.

babywhales

Told the whole world who he was taking before hand, ultimately screwing himself over
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

nb587

No idea who he would have taken last year but we would have drafted way earlier than 25 because there was no way we would have gone to the playoffs (much less win a game). 

Curious, can we sort of put Gettleman in the rear view mirror.  Schoen for sure has made mistakes including a huge one with the Jones contract but he is beyond a massive upgrade over his predecessor

Painter

So, who are we trying to make seem smarter? Gettleman, or us chickens? I suppose if we're already into re-drafting, we must have the current one all mocked up and ready to go. Seriously, does anyone really give a sh*t what "Dave" would have done had he not left the team in worse shape than he found it?

Cheers!

DaveBrown74

I'm done kicking Gettleman around. Yes, he was a terrible GM. But we have a new GM now entering his third year, and as of right now we still stink. We have enough problems in the present at this point.

kartanoman

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 21, 2024, 06:37:55 PMI'm done kicking Gettleman around. Yes, he was a terrible GM. But we have a new GM now entering his third year, and as of right now we still stink. We have enough problems in the present at this point.

Even if he had the opportunity to continue in his role, wasn't his health diminishing to the point where he may not have even lived long enough to see two more drafts?

In the end, he said very little, but I could have sworn somewhere I heard a mutter "thank God it's over" after retirement and the house cleaning following the 2022 dumpster 🔥.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Gmo11

There's not much reason to re-hash the worst GM in Giants history and perhaps in the sports' history...just rest assured that whatever he would have done the last couple of drafts would have been wrong.  Very Very wrong. 

He'd have been laughed at for doing it.  Mocked the people laughing at him.  And then ultimately be proven to be monumentally and catastrophically wrong. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 21, 2024, 06:37:55 PMI'm done kicking Gettleman around. Yes, he was a terrible GM. But we have a new GM now entering his third year, and as of right now we still stink. We have enough problems in the present at this point.

Gettleman left the team after the 2021 season, and according to draft position, he left the 5th worst team in the league.  Fast forward to the present day, and the Giants are the 6th worst team in the league.  That was with the benefit of an extra 1st rounder (and 3rd rounder) received in the trade with the Bears Gettleman's last season.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

andrew_nyGiants

From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 10:38:20 AMGettleman left the team after the 2021 season, and according to draft position, he left the 5th worst team in the league.  Fast forward to the present day, and the Giants are the 6th worst team in the league.  That was with the benefit of an extra 1st rounder (and 3rd rounder) received in the trade with the Bears Gettleman's last season.

I'm with you that Schoen deserves criticism for where we are right now.

One point though: if you're going to mention the extra draft picks Schoen was handed, it's only fair to also mention the utterly horrid cap situation he was handed. I feel both of those kind of offset each other.

nb587

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 10:38:20 AMGettleman left the team after the 2021 season, and according to draft position, he left the 5th worst team in the league.  Fast forward to the present day, and the Giants are the 6th worst team in the league.  That was with the benefit of an extra 1st rounder (and 3rd rounder) received in the trade with the Bears Gettleman's last season.
And what type of CAP situation fid Gettleman leave Schoen?

EDjohnst1981

All true, but JS' average draft position is 15th if you combine the slots from his two seasons.

So I think it's fair to say that he's performing better that Getty but there's room for improvement.