News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Wink Martindale the highest-paid assistant in college football

Started by MightyGiants, March 22, 2024, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 22, 2024, 10:39:05 AMYour question and subsequent point have absolutely nothing do with Wink bearing 100% responsibility for his behavior.

You are blaming Daboll for Wink's reaction. Wink is not a victim. He's a full grown-ass man who acted like a toddler because he didn't like what his boss did and responded with a big "F*CK YOU!" and stormed out of the building. He ignored calls and texts from Schoen.

Daboll lit the fire and Wink poured gasoline on it. He's a college coordinator now because of his own actions.

Wink is the HIGHEST PAID college coordinator because clearly Michigan strongly disagrees with you and @kingm56
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Wink is the highest paid DC for a couplenof reasons.

1) Michigan has had great success running a Raven style of D with a formwr Raven coach as DC.  First it was Mike MacDonald then Jesse Minter.  Once Minter followed Harbaugh to Los Angeles, they thought hiring Wink (Father of the Ravens D) would be right move.

2) Michigan's new HC is former OC Sherrone Moore.  He is got a big bump in pay but not to Harbaugh level making extra money availble to pay coaches and coordinators.

3) Since this is first time HC Michigan wanted a veteran DC next to him.

Michigan fans are excited about this hire.  I am not.  While the philosophy of the D may be similar, MacDonald and Minter ran very different secondary coverages than Wink.

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 10:42:13 AMWink is the HIGHEST PAID college coordinator because clearly Michigan strongly disagrees with you and @kingm56
He was a highly-regarded NFL coordinator. Michigan is ecstatic to have a coach with NFL experience go back down to the college ranks. For Wink, it was a step down.

Wink's tantrum cost him not only $700K but also a job in the NFL. He took a huge step back from his goal of being a head coach.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

kingm56

Quote from: T200 on March 22, 2024, 10:55:39 AMHe was a highly-regarded NFL coordinator. Michigan is ecstatic to have a coach with NFL experience go back down to the college ranks. For Wink, it was a step down.

Using your logic, the NFL disagrees with you as they found Wink's temperament to be ill-suited for a HC role.

From Michigan's perspective, it makes perfect sense; they can use Wink's presence as a pretty significant recruiting carrot.

Also, Tim is 100% correct; this move cost Wink money...I'm mystified at you're attempt to spin it as anything other than what it is...the NFL rejected him. 

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 22, 2024, 11:34:45 AMUsing your logic, the NFL disagrees with you as they found Wink's temperament to be ill-suited for a HC role.

From Michigan's perspective, it makes perfect sense; they can use Wink's presence as a pretty significant recruiting carrot.

Also, Tim is 100% correct; this move cost Wink money...I'm mystified at you're attempt to spin it as anything other than what it is...the NFL rejected him. 

For the NFL to "disagree with me," 31 teams would have needed to hire a DC or a HC.

Making Wink (who never coached in the college ranks) the highest-paid college DC speaks volumes for the high regard the championship Michigan program holds Wink in.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 11:36:47 AMFor the NFL to "disagree with me," 31 teams would have needed to hire a DC or a HC.

Making Wink (who never coached in the college ranks) the highest-paid college DC speaks volumes for the high regard the championship Michigan program holds Wink in.

So, Wink just started looking for HC opportunities this year?  Odd...

You realize he's interviewed for multiple HC jobs over a career spanning 3 decades and was never hired.  Why wasn't he hired?  The answer is quite obvious...

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 11:36:47 AMMaking Wink (who never coached in the college ranks) the highest-paid college DC speaks volumes for the high regard the championship Michigan program holds Wink in.
No one disputed or disagreed with it.

I will say it again: Wink settled for less than what he wanted. He took a pay cut in salary, status, and prestige. His image took a huge hit.

I think things would have turned out differently for him if he had reacted in a much more mature and grounded way than what he did.

MightyGiants

Quote from: kingm56 on March 22, 2024, 11:38:23 AMSo, Wink just started looking for HC opportunities this year?  Odd...

How many defensive coaches get their first head coaching job after the age of 55?

Let us be fair and honest: It's youth and the offensive side of the ball that most teams are looking for.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

kingm56

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 11:41:22 AMHow many defensive coaches get their first head coaching job after the age of 55?

Let us be fair and honest: It's youth and the offensive side of the ball that most teams are looking for.

Why do you believe he never earned a HC shot?  He's had multiple interviews...

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 08:06:57 AMMartindale and the Giants parted ways in January after a falling out with head coach Brian Daboll. Less than a month later, he landed the defensive coordinator position with the University of Michigan where he reportedly signed a three-year deal with a base salary of $2.3 million in 2024.

That number will increase to $2.5 million in 2025 and $2.7 million in 2026.

https://x.com/thegiantswire/status/1771106032145588637?s=46&t=1vcQIN8GqF5J2oLdxEVEJQ

Did Wink hire his buddies he fell on his sword for?

Philosophers

If Wink does a good job at Michigan in 2024, he'll get college HC interviews from good programs.

He may never be HC in the NFL (debatable if he does well in 2024) however colleges will call.

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 22, 2024, 11:40:15 AMNo one disputed or disagreed with it.

I will say it again: Wink settled for less than what he wanted. He took a pay cut in salary, status, and prestige. His image took a huge hit.

I think things would have turned out differently for him if he had reacted in a much more mature and grounded way than what he did.

Tim,

I have a hard time buying the image of Wink you are painting (a coach with a serious emotional IQ problem) who would storm off after they fired a couple of his key coaches and acted like a "toddler" or "child." I can't see that sort of coach being in such high demand at even the college level and certainly not in such demand as being instantly the highest-paid assistant coach.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

Quote from: T200 on March 22, 2024, 11:44:09 AMDid Wink hire his buddies he fell on his sword for?

I believe both of them got jobs before Wink did
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 22, 2024, 12:48:33 PMI believe both of them got jobs before Wink did

Kevin Wilkins was hired by Michigan as Defensive Football Analyst so not an on the field coach.  Drew Wilkins was not hired by Michigan.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 22, 2024, 01:10:22 PMKevin Wilkins was hired by Michigan as Defensive Football Analyst so not an on the field coach.  Drew Wilkins was not hired by Michigan.

Drew got a job with the Patriots, I believe
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE