News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Greg Cosell loves LSU WR Malik Nabers

Started by MightyGiants, March 24, 2024, 07:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob In PA

Quote from: londonblue on March 24, 2024, 11:36:43 AMHarrison is the best all round IMO with the most polished game and complete route tree. Odunze is the most different to what we have (a true, physical, contested balls X) and Nabers is the best separator and manufacturer of yards across the middle.

london: I can't agree with the bold part, although I can't disagree either (but I strongly suspect his ability to separate will proven to be vastly over-rated), because college DB's almost always set up against Nabers 8-to-10  yards from the line of scrimmage.

Even when they started near the line, they never contacted him but almost immediately began back-peddling when the ball was snapped. My point is that we don't know how NFL "bullying" CB's will affect Nabers' overall play, his concentration, timing, and route-running precision.

I agree Nabers was a separation wizard in college, but the issue of whether he'll be able to separate in the NFL is far from established. The team drafting him IMO will be taking a huge risk that he will not be able to do it as well as he did in college, or will be come frustrated while learning to do so.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 24, 2024, 11:51:08 AMI think Odunze is the guy.
J: He may turn out to be the guy, but IMO it won't happen if they want a WR (rather than a QB) and Harrison is there.  As for Nabers vs. Odunze (assuming Harrison is gone and both of them are still available) it will and should depend on which guy the Giants believe is better suited to the system as well as which one provides them with the most skills none of the other current WR's possess. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

If it's the Giants' strategy to show interest in the top QBs of this draft and give the perception that there is a willingness to move up or down, it's a good strategy. Especially if they have no intention of moving up and driving a frenzy to those top QBs. They can either sit tight and see who falls to them or do the math and trade down a bit and still get their man. I wouldn't be surprised but I'd be happy if they come away with one of the top three Receivers. Especially if it's MHJ. They can also pick up a QB by moving up to take Bo Nix from the second round since Jones is the starter this year.

If however they do move up or get a top 4 QB on their laps, that's fine too. Sometimes drafts are very predictable and sometimes they will surprise.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Philosophers

Quote from: londonblue on March 24, 2024, 11:36:43 AMBroadening this to include Odunze (who has the best hands and catch radius of the three) we cannot complain if we pick a WR at 6.

Harrison is the best all round IMO with the most polished game and complete route tree. Odunze is the most different to what we have (a true, physical, contested balls X) and Nabers is the best separator and manufacturer of yards across the middle.

Whilst I agree with Philosophers that Nabers can play outside the reason I have him third on my personal WR wish list is how he plays outside and in. I think his strengths (separation, speed, body control) and current best routes overlap in a number of ways with our trio of Wandale, Slayton and Hyatt. Harrison and Odunze are more different/complementary out of the box so would arguably open up more play call options.

Having said that when we drafted Wandale, GM Schoen emphasised that for him and HC Daboll the ability to separate was a premium ability for WR. If that is their number one priority Nabers probably should be the guy.

Unless Maye or McCarthy fall to six (or an unlikely trade up) we will get to see what the Giants choose between at least two of them in a month or so.

That's a really well written post.  I see your point.  I so think most top wRs move around and play all 3 WR spots but being able to dominate at X is what we really need.