News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

The worst thing that happened to the Giants in the past 10 years

Started by Bob In PA, March 24, 2024, 10:40:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bldevil

OBJ re-signing followed by the enormous dead cap hit.  Single bad decision set us back..maybe multiple years.

Firing Coughlin as #2 mistake.
"17-14 fellas.  One touchdown and we are world champions.  Believe it and it will happen!  17-14 is the final.  Let's go!"  Michael Strahan, with 2:39 remaining in SB42.

AZGiantFan

Maybe the worst thing was having so many viable candidates for the worst thing.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: spiderblue43 on March 24, 2024, 08:10:08 PMToney was completely awful and the third screw up in one round. That's simply mind boggling. Probably the dumbest move not counting OBJ's boat drama.

spider: Yeah, three mistakes involving a single pick says it all. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Bob In PA

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 25, 2024, 01:53:02 AMMaybe the worst thing was having so many viable candidates for the worst thing.

You beat me to the punch. Good one. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

y_so_blu

With respect to the sheer number of bad decisions he was involved in, I would have to say it was Dave Gettleman.

TONKA56

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 24, 2024, 09:38:47 PMI'd throw in forcing Coughlin to fire Gilbride.  A guy who gives you consistent top ten offenses doesn't grow on trees and his one bad year that was the basis for the firing was pure scapegoating because it wasn't on him, it was the start of the Giants personnel decine, particularly on the OL.

And that all began with Mara's "the offense is broken" comment. 

uconnjack8

If we are talking about picks they didn't make, there are so many and for just about every team.  I mean, TJ Watt was drafted 30th.  29 teams made that mistake. 

For the Giants, its really difficult to pick the worst, here are some 1st round picks they made:

Kadarius Toney
DeAndre Baker
Eli Apple
Ereck Flowers

That is not to mention things like tying up money in Kenny Golloday. 

uconnjack8

Quote from: AZGiantFan on March 24, 2024, 09:34:42 PMIf I had to pick a drafting mistake it would be picking Barkley at #2. Not that it's a knock on Barkley - under the rules and conditions of today I wouldn't pick Jim Brown at #2.

Still they got a productive player at #2, who certainly produced more than other 1st round selections, so I have a hard time calling it the worst move in a decade.  The fact he has been their best offensive player since being drafted should tell us all the moves on offense that followed were probably worse.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on March 24, 2024, 02:00:00 PMI think without a doubt that was a disaster picking Toney but for me it was before that in 2019.

Reaching for Jones in 2019 instead of bolstering both lines and waiting on 2020 which was the best draft class for Qbs since Eli's class was the defining mistake of this past 10 years.
I agree they shouldn't have reached for Jones.

But did 2020 REALLY end up being the best QB class since Eli's class?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!