News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Draft decision

Started by katkavage, October 09, 2023, 12:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

As of today, if the Giants are one of the top five picks in the draft, what position would you draft of the three most valuable positions on the field. QB? Tackle? Edge?

RelaxTension

With a top 2 a QB
After that I would go pass rusher
Enjoy the moment it's the only way to live..

Philosophers

BPA period.  We need good players everywhere.  With 2nd pick we could get Marvin Harrison Jr, a true difference maker or trade back and stockpile picks.

babywhales

Right now Giants have the 7 pick, they are a long way from TOP 3. 

Getting a top QB or OT must be a priority. 

All that being said, whomever they pick they need to hit on it

"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Rambo89

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 12:45:58 PMBPA period.  We need good players everywhere.  With 2nd pick we could get Marvin Harrison Jr, a true difference maker or trade back and stockpile picks.

Only position I would say no to is another Top 10 pick on an offensive linemen.  IMO it would be another draft ignoring the fact that the Giants have other needs on this roster that haven't gotten near the attention in terms of draft capital that the offensive line has.  Address that unit through other means.
"The Giants will never win a championship with Saquon Barkley" 4/26/18

MightyGiants

Quote from: katkavage on October 09, 2023, 12:14:02 PMAs of today, if the Giants are one of the top five picks in the draft, what position would you draft of the three most valuable positions on the field. QB? Tackle? Edge?

Sadly, if the Giants stay true to form, they will continue to stink it up, so they are out of the playoffs, then win a string of meaningless games that push them out of a prime draft position.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

True Blue

Trade up and get Caleb Williams. Start DJ in 2024 and let Caleb take over when he is ready, there won't be any need to rush him in.

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 12:51:06 PMOnly position I would say no to is another Top 10 pick on an offensive linemen.  IMO it would be another draft ignoring the fact that the Giants have other needs on this roster that haven't gotten near the attention in terms of draft capital that the offensive line has.  Address that unit through other means.

We wont have an offense without a good OL.  If that draftee is the BPA, take him.

Rambo89

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 02:16:18 PMWe wont have an offense without a good OL.  If that draftee is the BPA, take him.

And we won't have a good team if we continue to spend Top 10 picks on one unit ignoring the other units on the team.  For offensive lines having chemistry is just as if not more important than having talent.  The Giants lines of the past had one pro bowl type player on it but the group played well as a unit.  Could be the issue is that the Giants are bringing in talent but not necessarily the best fits based upon what they have and what they are combining those players with.

Philosophers

Quote from: Rambo89 on October 09, 2023, 02:21:14 PMAnd we won't have a good team if we continue to spend Top 10 picks on one unit ignoring the other units on the team.  For offensive lines having chemistry is just as if not more important than having talent.  The Giants lines of the past had one pro bowl type player on it but the group played well as a unit.  Could be the issue is that the Giants are bringing in talent but not necessarily the best fits based upon what they have and what they are combining those players with.

It could be but as I said, BPA (what you wrote obviously needs to be taken seriously into account).  I just don't understand how clearly the worst unit should be ignored as fixing OL improves team more than any other unit.

Rambo89

Quote from: Philosophers on October 09, 2023, 02:36:10 PMIt could be but as I said, BPA (what you wrote obviously needs to be taken seriously into account).  I just don't understand how clearly the worst unit should be ignored as fixing OL improves team more than any other unit.

Again I am not ignoring it.  I am looking at other ways to address it rather than the same way that has led to similar results.

Jaime

I was a huge Dimes supporter, but it's time to move on.
Do whatever to grab our best QB Prospect.
Then, with our 2nd Pick go RT.
With our 3rd Pick DL or LB.

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MightyGiants on October 09, 2023, 01:10:57 PMSadly, if the Giants stay true to form, they will continue to stink it up, so they are out of the playoffs, then win a string of meaningless games that push them out of a prime draft position.

Probably true...unfortunately. I expect even worse results next week when we go to Buffalo, who are coming off a loss...just like Miami was. Top teams seem to really turn up the heat after a loss and kick ass to redeem themselves...and of course, it will be on their home turf again this coming Sunday

But to your comment, we'll probably win a few games after getting through the brutal part of our schedule. We don't really have any patsies going forward, but at least it isn't against top teams on their turf or a night game...well, except the Eagles and Cowboys. We have talent, there's just no synergy and the offensive line is a mess. I believe we'll have no choice but to address the line with our early draft picks even though I think it's mostly due to coaching, but that's only my opinion

I suspect we go with BPA when draft day comes because I believe we'll be spending like drunken sailors in free agency trying to fix things. Getting a stud RT might not be available in free agency so that's a real possibility, we go with that with our first pick. Right now, it's about coaching and getting the team to play like they're capable. The team is not without talent, they're just playing like it's broken
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

madbadger

Quote from: katkavage on October 09, 2023, 12:14:02 PMAs of today, if the Giants are one of the top five picks in the draft, what position would you draft of the three most valuable positions on the field. QB? Tackle? Edge?

We know for a fact that there'll be at least one or two quarterbacks with a top 5 grade. Then you have a receiver in Marvin Harrison Jr  who will too but will there be a OT or edge player with a grade high enough to justify going that high? I'm not so sure there is as of right now. The worst thing they can do next year is reach.