News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

NFC Least

Started by katkavage, January 16, 2024, 07:09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katkavage

After Sunday's drubbing of the Cowboys and last night's rout of the Eagles, the NFC East might be turning into the least again. Or a changing of the guard? Washington has new owners. We shall see what direction they take once a coach is hired to work with the GM. They will most likely have one of the top three QBs in the draft. The Cowboys have the most talent and will continue to, but they will lose their DC and most likely their head coach. Who can harness that talent? The Eagles are a shambles now. They usually make bold moves that result in short term success. The head coach is over his head. The lines are aging. They have work to do to get back to prominence next year. The Giants? I'd say the division would be ripe for the taking  but they have as many question marks as any of the other teams. Obviously without a top QB it will depend on a magnificent defense and workmanlike offense to be competitive next year. If they can get a top QB that would be a start. And now the head coach is not in as stable a position as Giants fan and the NFL thought. After a very nice debut year, he suffered a serious sophomore jinx with poor preparation and head-scratching decisions. Now there is, at least in the media, turmoil among his staff. Can he learn from his mistakes and grow? Or will it disintegrate for him and will he, like so many others, just be better suited as a coordinator than a head coach? Next year should answer many of those questions.

AYM

It's interesting. Since the merger this team has only ever been good when the rest of the division has also been good. The other three have had opportunities when the other teams were awful.

DaveBrown74

I wouldn't go as far as to say changing of the guard just yet. While both the Eagles and Cowboys took a beating in the playoffs, they are still well ahead of us and the Commanders from a roster point of view. I'd say of the two teams, the Eagles are in a lot worse shape, as many of their stars are long in the tooth plus they clearly have some major dysfunction.

The Cowboys are what they are: a team that is generally strong in the regular season but underwhelms in the postseason. It has been like this not only in recent seasons but frankly for the past two decades. It wasn't much different under Romo. But they still have a much more talented roster than we and the Commanders do, and they draft a lot better than we do as well.

The Eagles, as said earlier, have bigger concerns IMO. Slay and Bradberry are both on the wrong side of 30 and just aren't good anymore. Fletcher Cox and Jason Kelce, two HOF caliber guys, are quite old. Their whole back 7 isn't very good.  They have problems with the coach. With that said they still have talent though, and they have a very strong front office, so I'm not ready to relegate them to the cellar of the division just yet, as much as I would like to.

uconnjack8

Jeff,

There is a whole thing going on pf people saying goodbye to Kelce.  There seems to be some belief that was his last game.  I know he has talked about it for a few years, but last night there was an embrace with the OL coach after the game along with social media sentiment.

And you are 100% correct.  They have a lot of aging vets, most of whom are not the same player they once were.  Ironically, I think Kelce may still be as good.

BluesCruz

The whole division has hit rock bottom

no place to go but up
Napoleon- "If you have a cannon- USE IT"

kartanoman

Are they worse than the NFC South?

If last night's game was any indication, than maybe the title of this thread has more truth than folks here care to admit.

Peace!

"Dave Jennings was one of the all-time great Giants. He was a valued member of the Giants family for more than 30 years as a player and a broadcaster, and we were thrilled to include him in our Ring of Honor. We will miss him dearly." (John Mara)

Ed Vette

The Eagles will turn over some of their aged players and stick with Hurts even with a new HC. At least a year away.

Dallas will take a hard look at Prescott and provide some competition. Could be Lance or a later round QB. McCarthy may be gone and a turnover of staff. They will come back with a vengeance because of a lot of talent but new systems may hold them back.

Washington will draft a QB and is in rebuild mode.

Best chance for the Giants to take the Division.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Woody

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2024, 08:55:30 AMThe Eagles will turn over some of their aged players and stick with Hurts even with a new HC. At least a year away.

Dallas will take a hard look at Prescott and provide some competition. Could be Lance or a later round QB. McCarthy may be gone and a turnover of staff. They will come back with a vengeance because of a lot of talent but new systems may hold them back.

all very good points.  .Here's hoping Belichick  stays out of "Dodge" (Dallas)

Ed Vette

Quote from: Woody on January 16, 2024, 09:00:07 AMall very good points.  .Here's hoping Belichick  stays out of "Dodge" (Dallas)
I would think he has a talk with Bill Parcells.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

TDToomer

Quote from: Ed Vette on January 16, 2024, 08:55:30 AMThe Eagles will turn over some of their aged players and stick with Hurts even with a new HC. At least a year away.

What do you mean new HC? Was there some news that went down?
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

londonblue

The Cowboys roster is good & will be good next year

The Eagles roster has a core of good young players but relied one year too long on some veterans in key roles

The Commanders have some talent but also lots of holes, a new GM and lots of draft/$ capital

Objectively we are in a similar overall position to Washington but with headwinds from a bad QB contract & ugly reported HC temperament issues weighing heavily on our minds

You can see a path for all 4 teams to win next year if everything falls right or for only the Cowboys to have a winning record if it doesn't. Let us see where we are post coaching carousel, FA and draft before suggesting a return to the division dog days.

For us going 2-7 v play-off teams and 4-4 v the field highlights the scale of our talent gap.

If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

LennG

As we relish in the losses ofg the Pukes and Iggles, we are still not in their class. What they lack and what we had was a QB (Eli) who knew how to win in crunch time. The two QBs of those respective teams haven't learned that yet.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

katkavage

Quote from: LennG on January 16, 2024, 02:59:49 PMAs we relish in the losses ofg the Pukes and Iggles, we are still not in their class. What they lack and what we had was a QB (Eli) who knew how to win in crunch time. The two QBs of those respective teams haven't learned that yet.

Prescott certainly hasn't. Hurts at least got his team to a Super Bowl last year. And almost won it. He, along with the rest of the team, were bad the second half of the season. He lost his best receiver, his coach and the play calling were dreadful, and the fingers of his throwing hand were bandaged and maybe even broken by the Giants the previous week. But despite those excuses, he was bad. On the other hand, watching the playoffs and some of the young dynamic QBs, Love, Stroud, Purdy, and the veterans still in the playoffs, Allen, Mahomes, Goff, Jackson just amplifies the need the Giants have at that position. You can't go far in the playoffs without top QB play.