News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Day 7 Camp Reports

Started by Ed Vette, August 03, 2023, 10:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

President Rick

IMO I want Hodgins to be our Toomer 2.0...a guy you can count on to catch the ball and move the sticks, true possession receiver.  We can use all of hyatt, hodgins, slayton and campbell rotating on the outside.  I see Beasley and won-dale in the slot...and Shep?????  He may be an odd man out unless we keep 7 WR.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Philosophers

Quote from: True Blue on August 03, 2023, 02:27:10 PMI wouldn't be so quick to rule out Hodgins as a starter, he was our top WR basically since he arrived, runs good routes and gets plenty of separation despite not being a burner. Good hands and is 6'4

Either way all 4 of those guys should see the field plenty.

Now that we have Waller at 6'6" who runs like a WR does that make Hodgins 6'4" frame less necessary as oppose to more speed on the outside?  Just a question.

Jclayton92

Hodgins has the height/weight that the other guys don't have. Like Ed said, probably a Slayton, Hyatt, Campbell party as you drive down the field then you bring hodgins in with Waller and Bellinger as you get inside the 40 and Redzone.

MightyGiants

One other note.  Even though McKeithen tore his ACL in pre-season, he doesn't look like he is coming back soon.  He has Forest Gump level knee braces on both legs and his workouts don't look that challenging (to the knee)
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: President Rick on August 03, 2023, 03:09:38 PMIMO I want Hodgins to be our Toomer 2.0...a guy you can count on to catch the ball and move the sticks, true possession receiver.  We can use all of hyatt, hodgins, slayton and campbell rotating on the outside.  I see Beasley and won-dale in the slot...and Shep?????  He may be an odd man out unless we keep 7 WR.
Hi Rick, all makes sense but Waller may negate Hodgins. Today was an exception where they moved him Inline one snap but he's been all over the field and he catches almost everything. There was one rep and I don't remember if the DB was Flott or Holmes but the coverage was as good as it could be and Jones put the ball high and away on a crossing route in the Red Zone and it was indefensible. Waller is classified as a TE but he's a big Receiver and he's Jones' Burress with agility. Hodgins is slow and he needs to get more separation. But if Waller goes down, it's not Cager as much as it will be Hodgins.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Philosophers on August 03, 2023, 03:19:03 PMNow that we have Waller at 6'6" who runs like a WR does that make Hodgins 6'4" frame less necessary as oppose to more speed on the outside?  Just a question.
Bing!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 03, 2023, 03:19:41 PMHodgins has the height/weight that the other guys don't have. Like Ed said, probably a Slayton, Hyatt, Campbell party as you drive down the field then you bring hodgins in with Waller and Bellinger as you get inside the 40 and Redzone.
Good point!
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on August 03, 2023, 03:22:34 PMOne other note.  Even though McKeithen tore his ACL in pre-season, he doesn't look like he is coming back soon.  He has Forest Gump level knee braces on both legs and his workouts don't look that challenging (to the knee)
What a sad situation for this kid who lost a lot of time early on. I was hoping he would compete at RG. He's looking like a PUP.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bill Brown

I've read a couple of articles today that say Neal is struggling despite all of the off season work he put in.  Are you guys seeing anything to confirm or deny this?

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

Jclayton92

I like Myarick more than Cager and it isn't close for TE3.

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bill Brown on August 03, 2023, 03:59:55 PMI've read a couple of articles today that say Neal is struggling despite all of the off season work he put in.  Are you guys seeing anything to confirm or deny this?

Bill
He's a lot better than last year. According to Bobby Skinner who's one of the best Oline analysts out there, he's doing much better with his footwork and his stance. He needs to improve on the timing of his punch and hands. I haven't seen much bad of him. He did get beaten by Thibs on an inside move. Our edge rushers are no schlubs. So he's learning every day. I think by midseason he should be one of the better RTs out there as long as he has his head clear.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Quote from: Philosophers on August 03, 2023, 03:19:03 PMNow that we have Waller at 6'6" who runs like a WR does that make Hodgins 6'4" frame less necessary as oppose to more speed on the outside?  Just a question.

I don't believe so. In fact if we closely look at Jones, his tendency is to throw a high ball so the bigger WR are a benefit to his game

MightyGiants

Quote from: Jclayton92 on August 03, 2023, 04:27:34 PMI like Myarick more than Cager and it isn't close for TE3.

Don't sleep on Sweeney.  I think he might come out on top.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE