News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Does anyone REALLY believe that we’ve properly

Started by andrew_nyGiants, March 27, 2024, 12:33:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_nyGiants

Gents,

To be clear. I'm not saying it hasn't been addressed (I am hopeful) but a bit skeptical.

What I'm asking is, was the FA haul the fix or the beginning of an overhaul topped off by strong draft picks?

I'm leaning toward the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 27, 2024, 06:16:43 PMThe Burns trade had the secondary effect of costing us a high second round draft pick that could have been used on a guard or swing tackle who would be expected to start. I'm fine with the move because we can't spend all our capital on one position, but I could see why some people weren't happy with the deal.

We still have the other 2nd round pick though and will be able to get a quality IOL with that pick if we want to. I get that it's easier if we have both 39 and 47, but it's not like we relinquished our opportunity to use a 2nd rounder (a location where you should be able to get an upper echelon guard) on O line. Even pick number 70 can be used on O line, and you'd have a pretty decent chance of getting someone who can potentially start in that draft spot. I know everyone has a bad taste in their mouths from Ezeudu, but early third round is not a bad spot for IOL.

If we use our second or third round pick on a guard, and then perhaps find someone in the 5th or 6th round we like, I would view the offseason in its totality as having solidly addressed the O line. Whether it all works out is another question entirely.

madbadger

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 27, 2024, 06:37:07 PMWe still have the other 2nd round pick though and will be able to get a quality IOL with that pick if we want to. I get that it's easier if we have both 39 and 47, but it's not like we relinquished our opportunity to use a 2nd rounder (a location where you should be able to get an upper echelon guard) on O line. Even pick number 70 can be used on O line, and you'd have a pretty decent chance of getting someone who can potentially start in that draft spot. I know everyone has a bad taste in their mouths from Ezeudu, but early third round is not a bad spot for IOL.

If we use our second or third round pick on a guard, and then perhaps find someone in the 5th or 6th round we like, I would view the offseason in its totality as having solidly addressed the O line. Whether it all works out is another question entirely.

I was coming at it from the point of view that with a second round pick you are expecting to get a starter and most of us feel like we need to come out of this draft with a receiver and a quarterback. Without that second pick in the second round the odds of landing all three successfully went down when we sent one to the Panthers to get Burns. Like I said I'm fine with it but could see people not liking it as much.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: madbadger on March 27, 2024, 06:59:08 PMI was coming at it from the point of view that with a second round pick you are expecting to get a starter and most of us feel like we need to come out of this draft with a receiver and a quarterback. Without that second pick in the second round the odds of landing all three successfully went down when we sent one to the Panthers to get Burns. Like I said I'm fine with it but could see people not liking it as much.

I could see that too. But I'd also say you're going to have a substantial contingent of disappointed fans at the end of April no matter what we do in the draft. We have way more holes than we can possibly plug up with quality players.

Hadron

He o-line needs to figure it out. There's no way that this team dumps more resources into this line in rounds 1/2. Maybe you see something in round 3 but...

y_so_blu

No, but that's beside the point. We've tried o-line first, QB second (or not at all) for several years now hoping DJ could hack it. He can't. I really don't need to spell out the definition of insanity here, do I?

Time to try it the other way around. Real quarterback on Day 1, offensive line afterwards.

Philosophers

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 27, 2024, 07:09:16 PMI could see that too. But I'd also say you're going to have a substantial contingent of disappointed fans at the end of April no matter what we do in the draft. We have way more holes than we can possibly plug up with quality players.

Yes but we got a good proven pass rusher for that 2nd.  Solved one need.

Bob In PA

Great discussion.  I highly recommend everyone read this entire thread, not just post your view. Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Philosophers

The Raiders RT pickup in FA is the solution at RT unless Neals performs.  We have insurance.