News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Giants Player Development Underwhelming

Started by Philosophers, May 13, 2024, 10:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 09:07:22 AMI dont know.  Pats drafted Michael Onwenu in like the 5th riund and he was a good starter.  Chiefs drafted Trey Smith in 5th or 6th round and he's a starter.

Giants cant produce a healthy, effective OL if their life depended on it.

Even with insufficient practice, quality O-line coaching will give a team an edge.   
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 09:15:10 AMEven with insufficient practice, quality O-line coaching will give a team an edge.   

Right but are there other things going in as well?  What about drafting a guy who's good for one blocking scheme and not another such as the one you like to run?  How about thinking every player who plays on one side can play on the other side?

Giants drafted the 1st or 2nd best WR yet he does not appear on any Fantasy rookies to watch probably because Giants can't pass block and have a QB unwilling to throw downfield more aggressively.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on Today at 09:15:10 AMEven with insufficient practice, quality O-line coaching will give a team an edge.   

Insufficient practice time made it even more negligent of their former ol coach to play Merry Go Round with the line in the preseason, which I believe was a big part of the non-competitive start.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

uconnjack8

Quote from: Philosophers on Today at 09:53:45 AMRight but are there other things going in as well?  What about drafting a guy who's good for one blocking scheme and not another such as the one you like to run?  How about thinking every player who plays on one side can play on the other side?

Giants drafted the 1st or 2nd best WR yet he does not appear on any Fantasy rookies to watch probably because Giants can't pass block and have a QB unwilling to throw downfield more aggressively.

I agree and think part of the issue is the changing of schemes from one regime to another that we brushed on in another thread.  The OL has at times been a mish-mosh of guys suited for different schemes and no theme to it. 

I noticed that the guys they signed to start this year both had better pass blocking grades than running blocking, so maybe they are trying to get a group that matches finally.  At least I hope it is

Philosophers

Quote from: uconnjack8 on Today at 10:47:40 AMI agree and think part of the issue is the changing of schemes from one regime to another that we brushed on in another thread.  The OL has at times been a mish-mosh of guys suited for different schemes and no theme to it. 

I noticed that the guys they signed to start this year both had better pass blocking grades than running blocking, so maybe they are trying to get a group that matches finally.  At least I hope it is

That seems to be a problem we often hear about mismatching a player to scheme.  Just wondering.