News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

As I listen to the daily draft chatter, Drake Maye seems to be falling out of

Started by MightyGiants, March 28, 2024, 09:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

Quote from: Philosophers on March 28, 2024, 12:40:19 PMAt the end of the day the things you cant teach a QB are accuracy, mental processing speed, awareness and confidence.  They have to have it themselves.  All this other stuff like throws off a good platform is noise.  If he's accurate, he can throw it standing on his head for all I care.  Joe Milton has great mechanics yet he can't hit an oak tree from 15 yards out.

While it's mostly true that accuracy will not improve when a QB goes from college to the NFL, Josh Allen showed there can be exceptions.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jclayton92

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 10:35:30 AMMcCarthy attempted 713 passes in college.  He has done so against some of the best defenses in college and in high-pressure situations.   I'm not sure how one couldn't evaluate a man with that body of work.

As for Maye, I keep hearing that he is scattered shot in his throwing, while others point to generally poor performances when he faces quality teams.

I personally wouldn't rule out Maye becoming a quality NFL QB, but I am sharing that when the draft season started, there was some talk that Maye should be the number one prospect, and since then, there seems to be a steady decline in how he is viewed (sort of a reverse of JJ McCarthy).

I find far too many in the draftnik and fan communities are production scouts rather than projection (of NLF caliber traits) scouts.  With Maye, it's not hard to see he has an NFL-plus caliber arm and good size, as well as the upside expectations that come with being younger and less experienced.

I think Maye has a better chance of being Sam Howell/ D Jones than Mccarthy.

Mayes losses vs bad teams is alarming to me.

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 10:35:30 AMMcCarthy attempted 713 passes in college.  He has done so against some of the best defenses in college and in high-pressure situations.   I'm not sure how one couldn't evaluate a man with that body of work.

I agree. Which is why it's perplexing to me that some fans feel they still haven't yet seen enough of Daniel Jones (1900 NFL passing attempts) to make a concrete evaluation of him.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 06:48:03 PMI agree. Which is why it's perplexing to me that some fans feel they still haven't yet seen enough of Daniel Jones (1900 NFL passing attempts) to make a concrete evaluation of him.

Are you saying Schoen and Daboll didn't properly evaluate DJ before signing him to a big contract?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 07:24:02 PMAre you saying Schoen and Daboll didn't properly evaluate DJ before signing him to a big contract?

I think they were feeling pressure from above to make sure both Jones and Barkley remained Giants in 2023. I think the combination of that, plus the fact that there weren't really easy or obvious alternatives, led them to their decision. I don't think they were ever sky high on Jones. It was a confluence of circumstances (mainly the above) that led to the decision, and the contract they gave him, while very substantial, was structured in a way that they weren't tied to him for nearly as long as most teams tie themselves to QBs who get big second contracts.

Looking at how things have played out since the decision, I would say there is little doubt that they now wish they had franchised Jones and just signed Barkley to a three year deal with a two year out.

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 07:33:19 PMI think they were feeling pressure from above to make sure both Jones and Barkley remained Giants in 2023. I think the combination of that, plus the fact that there weren't really easy or obvious alternatives, led them to their decision. I don't think they were ever sky high on Jones. It was a confluence of circumstances (mainly the above) that led to the decision, and the contract they gave him, while very substantial, was structured in a way that they weren't tied to him for nearly as long as most teams tie themselves to QBs who get big second contracts.

Looking at how things have played out since the decision, I would say there is little doubt that they now wish they had franchised Jones and just signed Barkley to a three year deal with a two year out.

The benefits of hindsight.   Unfortunately injuries can be unpredictable, especially if you have a subpar medical department and you fail to protect your franchise QB
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

DaveBrown74

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2024, 07:45:52 PMThe benefits of hindsight.  Unfortunately injuries can be unpredictable, especially if you have a subpar medical department and you fail to protect your franchise QB

I am not sure how unpredictable they are when you're talking about a guy who had missed multiple games due to significant injuries in three out of his four seasons as a pro.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 06:48:03 PMI agree. Which is why it's perplexing to me that some fans feel they still haven't yet seen enough of Daniel Jones (1900 NFL passing attempts) to make a concrete evaluation of him.

I think it has something to do with the fact that he never had a minimally adequate O-line to play behind and barely mediocre receivers to throw to.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

MightyGiants

Quote from: DaveBrown74 on March 28, 2024, 08:31:04 PMI am not sure how unpredictable they are when you're talking about a guy who had missed multiple games due to significant injuries in three out of his four seasons as a pro.

Jeff,

First, I can't fault NYG for the ACL.  Those can happen at any time to any player.  What I fault Ronnie Barnes for (the GM counts on his medical people to tell them if a player is too risky to sign) is the repeat neck injury.   In any football organization, the medical people develop risk models and develop grades on how likely a player is going to be injured moving forward.   With signings like DJ's, the trade for Waller, and the re-signing of Shepard, it's hard not to look at NYG and see a very flawed model being employed or incompetent people employing that model.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Ed Vette

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

londonblue

If Maye falls to 6 I would be astonished if we did not turn in our card in record time. His high ceiling, low floor, big body, hero ball mentality simply has to remind Daboll and Schoen of Allen. This does not mean he is or will be Allen level in NFL but to me of all the QB in this draft he is the one I think fits our HC most. Of course all the talking him down in the media may be BS and he might well go 2 or 3 with us never having a sniff at him.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.