News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

It's official, Wink is now the Giants FORMER DC

Started by MightyGiants, January 10, 2024, 02:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbadger

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 02:57:23 PMQuote
Ravens coach John Harbaugh and his now-former defensive coordinator, Don "Wink" Martindale, had discussions over several days about a variety of topics, including Martindale's future with the organization. The expectation among most people with the team was that Martindale would be back for his fifth season leading the Ravens' defense. But when Harbaugh contacted Martindale while the head coach was at organizational meetings hosted in the Bahamas by Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti, it was made clear that a decision had to be made. The Ravens' 2021 season had been over for almost two weeks and Harbaugh needed his coaching staff in place.

The organization typically didn't want its top assistants to be on one-year, lame-duck deals. Martindale was under contract through the 2022 season, but that was it. The Ravens were willing to tack on a team option for 2023. Martindale, however, balked. He wasn't interested in giving the Ravens all the leverage to decide whether he was staying or going ahead of the 2023 season. He wanted to keep his options open.

Neither side budged, leading to a surprising divorce. Harbaugh put out a statement on a Friday night 12 days after the Ravens' season ended saying the team and Martindale were going in "separate directions."

"It was just kind of an opportunity to talk about where we were both going and what was best," Harbaugh said this week. "I think we both came to that decision together, I'd say. That's how I would like to look at it. I feel that way about it, and I think it's turning out great for him. Nothing but admiration for what he's doing."

https://theathletic.com/3690951/2022/10/14/baltimore-ravens-new-york-giants-wink-martindale/?source=emp_shared_article

I don't by the public spin. The NFL coaching community is small and insular. Head coaches thrashing former assistants is fairly unheard of. Just look at the furor Peyton set off this year when he went after his predecessor. In a league that has a dearth of high end coaches no one is going to walk away from a really good coach to satisfy some self imposed timeline. If they do it tells me more about the assistant than the head coach.

MightyGiants

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 10, 2024, 03:38:39 PMThe whole "Giants are afraid he'll go to Philly" turns out to be at best overblown, and at worst a leak from camp Wink.

If Wink quit the Giants controlled what he could do next year and didn't have to pay him

If the Giants fired Wink then the Giants were on the hook for $3 million and Wink was free to go anywhere

This was a negotiated settlement where the Giant's win was being sure to save $3 million, and Wink's win was being free to seek a job with any team.   I am not sure one can conclude the Giants don't have concerns about where Wink ends up.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

T200

Quote from: MightyGiants on January 10, 2024, 03:56:35 PMIf Wink quit the Giants controlled what he could do next year and didn't have to pay him

If the Giants fired Wink then the Giants were on the hook for $3 million and Wink was free to go anywhere

This was a negotiated settlement where the Giant's win was being sure to save $3 million, and Wink's win was being free to seek a job with any team.   I am not sure one can conclude the Giants don't have concerns about where Wink ends up.
Seems to me they cared more about saving $3 million than where he goes next.
:dance: :Giants:  ALL HAIL THE NEW YORK GIANTS!!!  :Giants: :dance:

ozzie

Quote from: Giant Obsession on January 10, 2024, 03:34:55 PMI guarantee if he signs with a division rival that game will be a Sunday or Monday night game.

Bet on it.
My guess is he goes to Dallas after Dan Quinn becomes Seattle's HC.
"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara

killarich

I really want Pierce , anyone know what kind of defense he would possibly call ?

I'm over the Wink thing .... Think I just like d him because I prefer the aggressive style defense like wink and spags over fewell and Graham

AZGiantFan

Quote from: killarich on January 11, 2024, 12:29:03 AMI really want Pierce , anyone know what kind of defense he would possibly call ?

I'm over the Wink thing .... Think I just like d him because I prefer the aggressive style defense like wink and spags over fewell and Graham

Wink is a good reminder that the results of the defense are more important than the style. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

killarich

Quote from: AZGiantFan on January 11, 2024, 02:32:01 AMWink is a good reminder that the results of the defense are more important than the style. 

We had better results then with Wink then we had with Graham

Grahams defense may be "ranked" higher right now

But holding onto a lead with Graham was a failure mission every time

If we are up 10-7 defending final drive of game the game is either going to OT or we are losing with Graham calling the shots

Giving 10 cushions on 3rd and 7 used to kill me, he would play the game as if we were up multiple scores and it almost never worked

Wink I admit was 50/50  but he called the game as if he wanted to end the game right then and there .....not purposely allowing the opposing team to get into FG range when thats all they needed

I liked Wink but even I admit his defense was hit or complete miss.... But Graham was always a miss because he was too stubborn to adjust or dial up any pressure

I dont have any attachment to Wink like I did with John Fox or Spags....but he was better than Graham and Betcher...

I dont need a coordinator who blitzes as much as Wink ...but I cant stand the soft defenses of Graham, Fewell etc

Ed Vette

Quote from: killarich on January 11, 2024, 02:42:16 AMWe had better results then with Wink then we had with Graham

Grahams defense may be "ranked" higher right now

But holding onto a lead with Graham was a failure mission every time

If we are up 10-7 defending final drive of game the game is either going to OT or we are losing with Graham calling the shots

Giving 10 cushions on 3rd and 7 used to kill me, he would play the game as if we were up multiple scores and it almost never worked

Wink I admit was 50/50  but he called the game as if he wanted to end the game right then and there .....not purposely allowing the opposing team to get into FG range when thats all they needed

I liked Wink but even I admit his defense was hit or complete miss.... But Graham was always a miss because he was too stubborn to adjust or dial up any pressure

I dont have any attachment to Wink like I did with John Fox or Spags....but he was better than Graham and Betcher...

I dont need a coordinator who blitzes as much as Wink ...but I cant stand the soft defenses of Graham, Fewell etc
I'm not a fan of the bend, don't break Defenses either. The extreme opposite isn't good either. Defenses need to be multiple, mix and disguise. When Wink mixed in more Zone, that's when the turnovers started happening, along with the Offense protecting the ball.

Under Judge the Giants were -8, in 2022 they were plus 3. This year when Daboll coached Wink, they were plus 12 and the best team in the league.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Trench

Our defense just wasn't very good. That's on Wink and the GM. His scheme rarely created pressure. 

Time to move on.

Doc16LT56

I think Wink has handled himself poorly. But I do appreciate how he values his personal freedom over money. Not many people would be willing to walk away from $3 million. To me there is honor in that. Possibly stupidity, who knows, maybe he has something better lined up, or maybe he just understands his dollar value in this league.

Either way, I don't see this as a major loss for the Giants. They could do worse than Wink but I don't see him as being irreplaceable or even very difficult to replace... at least based on the defense's poor performance over the last two seasons.