News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

What do we want in the Draft?

Started by DragonSoul, January 08, 2024, 10:39:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgrangers2

We're still 14-15 weeks out with free agency to come so hard to say what we want from the draft but here is what I think the Giants still need:

1. QB - Gone into this ad nauseum on this board so no need to rehash
2. OL - We probably need two new guards here but Neal is obviously a huge question mark as well. There are guards that will be available in FA and I hope the Giants make a splash there but also a bunch of guys that will be available in day 2 or 3 of the draft. If they want to move on from Neal, there's 4-5 first round tackles that would be available for us in the draft.
3. EDGE - They need somebody to put on the other side of KT. Ojulari is too unreliable. Another position where as many as 5 or more could go in the first round to early 2nd.
4. WR - A big X type would be nice but I would't prioritize it over the other areas mentioned above.
5. DL - Would like another depth piece here. Again, this is a position that can be addressed on day 2 or 3 of the draft.
6. CB - Can always use more depth

The top 3 above are what the Giants NEED. WR is a nice to have and the others are more about getting depth but this is what I feel the Giants need to look at. The defensive personnel is also contingent on the new DC and what they want to do.

Jclayton92

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 10, 2024, 08:18:29 AMWe're still 14-15 weeks out with free agency to come so hard to say what we want from the draft but here is what I think the Giants still need:

2. OL - We probably need two new guards here but Neal is obviously a huge question mark as well. There are guards that will be available in FA and I hope the Giants make a splash there but also a bunch of guys that will be available in day 2 or 3 of the draft. If they want to move on from Neal, there's 4-5 first round tackles that would be available for us in the draft.
3. EDGE - They need somebody to put on the other side of KT. Ojulari is too unreliable. Another position where as many as 5 or more could go in the first round to early 2nd.
4. WR - A big X type would be nice but I would't prioritize it over the other areas mentioned above.
5. DL - Would like another depth piece here. Again, this is a position that can be addressed on day 2 or 3 of the draft.

The top 3 above are what the Giants NEED. WR is a nice to have and the others are more about getting depth but this is what I feel the Giants need to look at. The defensive personnel is also contingent on the new DC and what they want to do.
Yeah pretty much what I have on my board also with RB1 and an additional safety lower down on the board.

DragonSoul

Quote from: jgrangers2 on January 10, 2024, 08:18:29 AMWe're still 14-15 weeks out with free agency to come so hard to say what we want from the draft but here is what I think the Giants still need:

pretty much the way I see it.

Philosophers

Quote from: Jclayton92 on January 10, 2024, 10:30:21 AMYeah pretty much what I have on my board also with RB1 and an additional safety lower down on the board.

Jesse:  unlike others here, I am not troubled that we are not picking say at 1 or 2 to grab a QB.  I think the Giants want the following:

QB - they are willing to draft a QB but don't feel it's a 100% need as it was with drafting Eli and DJ.  That said, they will look for a QB who brings foundational skills necessary for the position:  1) great mechanics; 2) fast analytical mind that sees a defense and can break it down quickly; 3) a leader and someone who is coachable and wants to develop.  For this relative need, I do not believe the Giants care much about college production much.  They want to develop a QB but he must have these foundational skills.  Whether we like it or not, I think someone like JJ McCarthy fits this description and will be someone they look at closely, not at 6 but maybe in a trade back.

WR - Giants need an X desperately.  Prior drafts had lots of WRs but few true X type WRs.  This draft is loaded with them.  Not just MHJR, Nabers, Coleman but Brian Thomas (LSU), Xavier Leggette (South Carolina), and Tony Franklin (Oregon) plus a host of others.  I mean look at Leggette.  He is like 6'4" 227 pounds and may run a 4.29 40.  Those are DK Metcalf type numbers.  I don't love his productivity as first few years he did very little in college.  Was he just raw?  Poor listener/stupid?  At 6, the Giants can grab a day 1 starter, but frankly, they can grab a day 1 starter in the 2nd round as well and probably the 3rd round.

OL - Luke Pettigout convinced me that ND OL may not be 5 star quality prospects but they are really coachable and seem to have enough athleticism that coupled with a great work ethic lead to a good NFL career.  I see Joe Alt from Notre Dame as possessing those exact qualities.  Here is where I want the Giants to be more like the Eagles who admit mistakes and move on quickly rather than try to fit a square peg into a round hole.  If Neal is unsalvageable, then move on.  The Giants new OL coach needs to sit NOW with Neal and work with him, talk to him and figure out quickly if he is salvageable and if not, move on.  Olu from Penn State is very good but I see him more as a OLT.  He's of less interest to me.  One OT prospect I really like is Tanner Morgan from Arizona.  He moves more like a TE -- fast and balanced.  Solid player who has developed well -- think 3 star player who will be an NFL starter.  He's a guy that I think goes 2nd/3rd round.